Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Qatar Airways Flights to U.S.A. Electronics Ban Lifted

Travel to the United States: Electronics ban lifted

Link

Qatar Airways is pleased to confirm that with immediate effect, all personal electronic devices can be carried on board all departures from Hamad International Airport to destinations in the United States.

Qatar Airways and Hamad International Airport have met with all requirements of the US Department of Homeland Security’s new security guidelines and we would like to express our thanks to the US and local authorities for their support during this process.

We would also like to thank our loyal passengers for their understanding and patience while the ban has been in place.

Updated on 6 July @ 01:57 GMT
Print Wikipost

QR DOH-USA flights: electronic devices permitted on ALL flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Please PLEASE QR put something in place like Emirates and TK have announced. I can live with that.

Has anyone come across anything written about headphones? i STILL can't find any information.
This is not definitive, but knowledgeable people are saying if it's battery powered and not a smartphone or smaller than one, it's likely ot acceptable. If it's unpowered or cord powered, it seems to be okay. At least one blogger has suggested, for instance, that a smartphone with a dongle and keyboard that isn't battery powered are okay.

The priblem is, IMO, that unless USDHS or QR provide clarity and specificity, some of us will get into discussion or argument with security or other personnel at the airport.

I certainly hope QR deals with this in a far more customer friendly way than saying "pack it in your checked baggage, you're on your own". They could certainly take electronics and place them in a container that would be comparable in handling to special, valuable, courier or diplomatic cargo.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I am flying on Sunday, 3/26 from HYD-AUH-DOH-DFW with HYD-AUH-DOH segments on EY and DOH-DFW on QR . I contacted EY and they told me that I can carry my laptop to DOH. So I contacted QR via twitter direct message and they told me that it should be checked in at point of origin.

As there is no other choice, I am planning to pack my laptop and check it in the baggage at HYD. However I am not sure what to do with my Bose headset (QC25) which is powered by a single AAA battery. Can I still carry on my hand baggage? I just got the generic answer from QR that all electronics larger than a phone needs to be checked in.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aglp2k
I am flying on Sunday, 3/26 from HYD-AUH-DOH-DFW with HYD-AUH-DOH segments on EY and DOH-DFW on QR . I contacted EY and they told me that I can carry my laptop to DOH. So I contacted QR via twitter direct message and they told me that it should be checked in at point of origin.

As there is no other choice, I am planning to pack my laptop and check it in the baggage at HYD. However I am not sure what to do with my Bose headset (QC25) which is powered by a single AAA battery. Can I still carry on my hand baggage? I just got the generic answer from QR that all electronics larger than a phone needs to be checked in.

Any suggestions?
Substantively, I'm afraid not. I expect it will take a period of time until it becomes clear how this will all be implemented.

Please post a follow-up and let us know how it goes.

Good luck!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Please PLEASE QR put something in place like Emirates and TK have announced. I can live with that.
Very disappointed QR hasn't made such provisions yet.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by justforfun
Very disappointed QR hasn't made such provisions yet.
I agree - it seems they are slow off the mark and certainly not focused on the "customer experience" - something that EK has communicated. Let's hope the delay in communication leads to something worth waiting for.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:39 pm

I saw a response by QR on Twitter this morning to a tweet by a passenger if QR will be making special arrangements similar to EK regarding collection of banned devices at the gate. Here is QR's response:

"Yes B. We made the arrangements right after they had issued the travel bulletin. The devices shall be collected at the gates"

However, I do not see any information on QR's website about collection of banned devices at the gate. Something in the works may be.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by aglp2k
I saw a response by QR on Twitter this morning to a tweet by a passenger if QR will be making special arrangements similar to EK regarding collection of banned devices at the gate. Here is QR's response:

"Yes B. We made the arrangements right after they had issued the travel bulletin. The devices shall be collected at the gates"

However, I do not see any information on QR's website about collection of banned devices at the gate. Something in the works may be.
What?! There is no official mention by QR of this anywhere. I fly in 10 hours SYD-DOH-US and would really love to be able to carry my laptop all the way to the gate in DOH.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:19 pm

Here is QR's Tweet:

Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:33 pm

I wish they were more specific as to what those special arrangements are.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Im boarding QR 739 DOH-LAX in 3 hours. Seems like I will be the first data point on FT?

With SSSS too, it won't be fun.

What a spectacular way to end a 12-day MR...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Im boarding QR 739 DOH-LAX in 3 hours. Seems like I will be the first data point on FT?

With SSSS too, it won't be fun.

What a spectacular way to end a 12-day MR...
If possible, please update us before take off. Would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
At checkin today at an outstation, I asked about the policy. I was told that for US flights, they are collecting at the FIRST POINT OF DEPARTURE, not at the gates in Doha. I expressed my displeasure.

The same sign was posted as the one at HKT which is shown earlier in the thread.

If I have time when in DOH, I will drop by a US-bound gate to see if there is any procedure in evidence.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
At checkin today at an outstation, I asked about the policy. I was told that for US flights, they are collecting at the FIRST POINT OF DEPARTURE, not at the gates in Doha. I expressed my displeasure.
Thanks for the update. Are they providing any kind of box to put the laptop in or they are expecting to use your existing baggage to pack?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'll have data until take off so that should work.

Originally Posted by MKE-MR

The same sign was posted as the one at HKT which is shown earlier in the thread.

If I have time when in DOH, I will drop by a US-bound gate to see if there is any procedure in evidence.
I originated in Paris and no actions were taken, neither at Doha transit desk (had to stop by since SSSS)
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It was a giant clusterf--k.

There is a wrapping counter at gate C9 where they would seal and box your laptop. However when I went there I was instructed to go back to the gate and clear security first. Those outside security agreed with that so I went through gate security. Oops, nope the people at the scanners now didn't know what to do with my (case/sleeve)-less laptop. They then had to assign one of themselves as 'courier', took my laptop, BP and phone # and went to C9.

It took forever but finally my laptop (I hope) came back in a sealed cardboard box, everything wrapped and labeled on the surface with my personal particulars. It was double sealed with the luggage tag you get when you check luggage normally.

Finally, you will have to sign an indemnity form that waives ALL claims towards QR if there is any 'data loss' or 'damage'. I asked if I can choose not to sign, was told it will remain at DOH if so. Then it will be wrapped again at the BP scan point, where someone takes it to the hold (can't see that). There's no valet at LAX but they'll show up on the belt (I hope so, in 16 hours.)

A lot of people were confused as well and I overheard citations of very different instructions across different outports that the pax originated from. Some people struggled to check in lenses, camcorders etc I saw.

Not sure if related but there was this incredibly intimidating security questioning by a white guy who had such condescending attitude I almost teared up. Now we're having departure delay because of 'security reasons'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.