Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Globetrotter promotion returns May 12, 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, AZ Gold
According to the Globetrotter FAQs, "Qmiles will be credited automatically soon after the eligible sector is flown."

Moreover, the FAQs state: "Members who have participated in Globetrotter 2015 will receive additional bonus Qmiles for each badge earned in Globetrotter 2016. Members who have earned 1 or 2 badges can earn 5,000 Qmiles more per badge they earn in Globetrotter 2016 while members who have earned 3 or 4 badges can earn 10,000 Qmiles more per badge earned in Globetrotter 2016."

This means, if I earned 4 badges in 2015, I will get a bonus of 10,000 QMiles for every badges collected in 2016/2017, in addition to the regular 5,000 (Eco) or 10,000 (Premium) QMiles earned for the new badge.

That's a great reward for people having enjoyed the challenge and participating again.

Having successfully completed the campaign in 2015, I will carefully evaluate my chances in the new challenge.

Though the lack of overlapping periods and gaps between the themes will make it more challenging, the campagin is still quite rewarding.

As I will renew my Platinum status anyway and don't need the tier upgrade, I could earn 210.000 - 230.000 bonus miles depending on the class of travel (100.000 for 4 badges, 20.000 - 40.000 bonus for completed themes, 40.000 bonus for achievements in 2015 + 50.000 special bonus for rejecting the tier validity extension).
Old May 9, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by zsc
Just so I'm on the same page as everyone here, am I right to understand that there are five parts to this iteration of the Globetrotter promo? It seems to me that the way they word it implies that everything from 1 to 5 will only be credited at the end of the promo in March 2017?

i.e.

1. Bonus Qmiles.
Conditions: throughout the duration of the promotion, ex-DOH flights only count.

2. Themes and Badges.
Conditions: fly ex-DOH to listed countries within given travel period for each theme, earn badge for each theme satisfied.

3. Badge rewards.
Conditions: earn 2 badges, get bonus 1, earn 3 badges, get bonus number 2, etc.

4. Bonus Qmiles for GT2015 badge holders.
Conditions: self-explanatory, if you've earned 2 badges in GT2015, earn 5k Qmiles & etc.

5. 250 Qmiles bonus
Conditions: register offer from 24 May 2016 onwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, just trying to figure out how to capitalise and maximise earnings.
To my understanding :
1 Bonus Qmiles for every destination should be credited with the flight Qmiles credit (soon after the flight took off), just like it was in last year promotion

2 badges would be given at the end of each travel period

3 badges bonus : it's not clear when these Qmiles will be credited. Maybe at the end of each travel period

4 Bonus Qmiles for GT2015 badges holder : same as 3

5 I've received today the official email announcing this new Globe Trotter campaign but it says that registration will be possible on 12th May and onward. Registration bonus of 250 Qmiles should be credited immediately but it's not clear about it.

6 Bonus of 100,000 Qmiles and tier upgrade (or 50,000 Qmiles more for platinum member preferring Qmiles rather than a 1 year prolongation of their status) will be granted before the end of March 2017.

Just like for the previous Globe Trotter campaign, even flights already booked before the campaign should be eligible provided they meat the campaign requirements.

I have 3 returns flights already booked in the next 8 months but none of them meets campaign requirements. Anyway I'll be in again and book more flights as it's so much fun to fly for free (if you consider the value of Qmiles you get, even thought I only value Qmiles at 0.66 cents each) ;-)
Old May 9, 2016, 3:09 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by Matt4
To my understanding :
1 Bonus Qmiles for every destination should be credited with the flight Qmiles credit (soon after the flight took off), just like it was in last year promotion

2 badges would be given at the end of each travel period

3 badges bonus : it's not clear when these Qmiles will be credited. Maybe at the end of each travel period

4 Bonus Qmiles for GT2015 badges holder : same as 3

5 I've received today the official email announcing this new Globe Trotter campaign but it says that registration will be possible on 12th May and onward. Registration bonus of 250 Qmiles should be credited immediately but it's not clear about it.

6 Bonus of 100,000 Qmiles and tier upgrade (or 50,000 Qmiles more for platinum member preferring Qmiles rather than a 1 year prolongation of their status) will be granted before the end of March 2017.

Just like for the previous Globe Trotter campaign, even flights already booked before the campaign should be eligible provided they meat the campaign requirements.

I have 3 returns flights already booked in the next 8 months but none of them meets campaign requirements. Anyway I'll be in again and book more flights as it's so fun to fly for free (if you consider the value of Qmiles you get, even thought I only value Qmiles at 0.66 cents each) ;-)
Thanks for the feedback, Matt4 and QR_Seb! Have updated my post with your contributions.
Old May 9, 2016, 11:00 pm

My experience for Tier Renewal as Silver member was that even I didn't take any QR flights during the year, they still extended the status for another year. So I guess they would like to offer you soft-landing when failed Platinum renewal.

I guess the soft-landing for existing Platinum member is still favorable because 40 Qcredits will be given as a reward of Gold renewal (when downgrade from Platinum to Gold). After the GT2016 campaign that ended on Mar 2017, if 4 badges has earned, upgrade to Platinum will offer additional 60 Qcredits. So in total you can get 100 Qcredits. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My only question for now is that they excluded bonus/badges traveling from DOH back to your home country for the previous year, however I haven't find any terms or FAQs mention this for this year. Maybe Privilege Club will clarify this later.

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
My expectation would be that your PC level for a new year would be based on the qpoints you accumulated in the 12/24 month period prior to the renewal date. So if I were platinum but had only picked up enough for silver, that's what I would expect to get. Completing all four badges would then upgrade to gold. That being said, I haven't been in a position to have a tier downgrade with QR before, so if anyone has experience of a soft landing that would be useful information.

The promotion does say "travel to" rather than "book and travel to", so it will be interesting to see if existing bookings count in practice, and whether the home country airport exclusion has also been dropped this time around.

Depending on the above, and your individual circumstances, it does seem more generous this year, particularly if you have experience earned last year of how to use open jaws and badge period crossovers to minimise the flights required to maximise your benefits. And if you were planning to travel to those destinations anyway, it's all a very big bonus!
Old May 10, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: The Embassy
The only one of these I will struggle to hit is the first. Live in Bangkok. Looks like I can get CMB-DOH return in J pretty reasonably, although getting to CMB in J is expensive. Any other cheap J suggestions?
Old May 10, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I also have to position myself to CMB from BKK this year , i will survive to fly eco for such a short flight. From my understanding there are only old business class cabins configurations on this route.

edit @ zebrametalevel to get the badge there is also CMB-DXB for 350 euros in business

Last edited by SENNINHA; May 10, 2016 at 9:24 am
Old May 10, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
The only one of these I will struggle to hit is the first. Live in Bangkok.
Phuket (HKT) is on the list for the first phase, and is a short hop from Bangkok. If one's return flight DOH-home will count for the award (an idea which has been floated if not quite resolved in this thread), then presumably one could qualify by flying from HKT to, well, anywhere.

Or would this be pushing things a bit too far?
Old May 10, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Philodemus
Phuket (HKT) is on the list for the first phase, and is a short hop from Bangkok. If one's return flight DOH-home will count for the award (an idea which has been floated if not quite resolved in this thread), then presumably one could qualify by flying from HKT to, well, anywhere.

Or would this be pushing things a bit too far?
Last year you were excluded from earning miles on flights to your home country. Not sure if it's the same case this year
Old May 10, 2016, 9:58 pm

I have been reading the FAQs on the offer page rather carefully to try to resolve the return journey question. I find the following:

"Is a return trip or one way from Doha to a theme destination required to be eligible for bonus Qmiles and special travel badges?

A return trip is not required as bonus Qmiles will be credited only for the outbound journey (transiting via/originating from Doha to the theme destination) and not for the return journey (destination to/via Doha)".

I therefore think regretfully that my idea doesn't work. Such is life. Thanks to readers for their patience while I worked this out.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:41 pm

I think it means that you get the bonus for flying a sector doh-hkt, and not one flying hkt-doh. Outbound in this case refers to ex-doh. Whether the doh-hkt leg is on the outbound or return of your whole itinerary doesn't matter. At least that's how it worked last year, and how open jaws could earn a double bonus. So you could fly out from bkk via doh to anywhere (including another theme destination), as long as you flew back in doh-hkt. That is of course assuming the home country rule has been lifted this year...

Last edited by Johnnieboy; May 10, 2016 at 10:52 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Also does it matter if your going to DOH from a theme destination or coming from the theme? For either getting the badge or the bonuses within a badge.

1st strategy - Adventure Badge
I was thinking what if I took a Geneva - Doh - Oslo after may 15th. Would that count as having done two places in the first badge (May 15 - 25th july)? So I would get the bonus?

I see at the bottom of the offer they mention;

" Bonus Qmiles will be credited for the flight between Doha and theme destination irrespective of the origin of the journey. "

So to take that a step further could I plan a trip which could cross badge boundaries and get two badges instead of 1?

2nd Strategy Culinary and Cultural in one trip?

24 Dec CAI-DOH-SGN then return SGN-DOH-BHX on the 7th or 8th of January.

What do you guys think are these valid approaches? Where do you see the pitfalls.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:09 am
c2h

Programs: QR-PLT, AM-Platino, TK-Elite
In the GVE - DOH - OSL example I think you would only get the bonuses for the DOH-OSL and DOH - GVE. It would be the same for my flight KUL-DOH-MIA-DOH-HKT/DPS.

And for the second example, I am sure it is valid as long as you fly to the destination from DOH within the promotion period. It does not require a return journey per destination but rather as long as you fly that sector.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA plat
The offer FAQ says I will earn a 100,000 mile bonus, but then it says I will be eligible for it. ?? Not sure if that means if I do the required four areas, I get the 100k miles, or only that my name gets thrown in a hat with everyone else.

Haven't heard back from Qatar yet.

At what time during the Globetrotter campaign will I earn 100,000 bonus Qmiles and single tier upgrade?
Members who earn all 4 special travel badges for participating in all the four theme campaigns (Adventurous Getaway, Metropolitan Excursions Culinary Journeys and Cultural Exploration) will be automatically eligible for 100,000 bonus Qmiles and single tier upgrade by the end of the Globetrotter campaign.

Last edited by bluegrassfan; May 11, 2016 at 9:08 am Reason: add faq
Old May 11, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by bison1847
Also does it matter if your going to DOH from a theme destination or coming from the theme? For either getting the badge or the bonuses within a badge.
From the FAQs, you only get the badge (for what it's worth) and bonus miles for the sector from DOH to the theme destination, as last time.

Globetrotter FAQs:
Is a return trip or one way from Doha to a theme destination required to be eligible for bonus Qmiles and special travel badges?

A return trip is not required as bonus Qmiles will be credited only for the outbound journey (transiting via/originating from Doha to the theme destination) and not for the return journey (destination to/via Doha).
Old May 11, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bluegrassfan
The offer FAQ says I will earn a 100,000 mile bonus, but then it says I will be eligible for it. ?? Not sure if that means if I do the required four areas, I get the 100k miles, or only that my name gets thrown in a hat with everyone else.
It's just their wording - you'll get the miles for completing the promotion. No lottery involved

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.