Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:34 pm

IAN-UK the reason given for stopping food preparation in Al Mourjan was that the Health and safety authorities had forbidden food preparation, especially with open flames, as a serious fire hazard!
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I'm not sure it is fair to say that beverage offerings have declined. Fizzy stuff and wines have always been rotated seasonally. If you are referring to the serving of krug back in the day before al safwa opened, then it is helpful to remember that al mourjan was also ciiatering for First Class passengers when it first opened but is not now. Yes the a la carte menu has gone, and we don't know for sure whether that was a cut back or a health and safety issue, but in my experience if you ask nicely the staff will whip up something fresh from what they have, even if it's not Michelin star. But then it never was. And yes the deli is now closed during the afternoon, but there is almost nobody in the lounge then as there are almost no long haul flights at that time of day, made worse by no ex-regional connecting passengers. In any case, I certainly wouldn't want perishable items sitting around on display for hours before being served to me.

Personally, I preferred the old Premium Terminal. But apart from the crowds at certain times, I really don't see al mourjan having the massive, massive decline you describe
Actual food quality ala carte and on them buffet used to be so much higher. Now the buffet is pretty mediocre. Even simple things like having rice or naan for a curry dish doesn’t happen. The sandwhich bar had so many options and now has so few. It seems to me that wine and fizzy quality have gone downhill even after Al Safwa opened. Onboard F and B is still quite good, a decline over precious years (e.g the French desserts) but still very nice. I find the ME culture can’t sustain delivering premium services on the ground whether in hotels or lounges.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by matthandy

Definitely all Lanson.
The Pommery wasn't on display when they were serving it, at least not when I went through last week and had some. No Pommery right now, all Lanson.

The barman, who (rather impressively, given I'm not a frequent AM visitor) recalled our conversation on the subject a week ago, said they were expecting something different mid/end of this coming week, perhaps Billecart-Salmon or even Taittinger Comtes, though not sure of the level of speculation vs actual knowledge in those nominations.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
I find the ME culture can’t sustain delivering premium services on the ground whether in hotels or lounges.
So you're saying that this is a cultural issue as opposed to one based in saving money? I'll disagree with you on that.

"ME culture can’t sustain delivering premium services" -- I am in Al Mourjan quite regularly, and I've never encountered any employee who didn't have a very positive and service-oriented attitude. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for the staff there; and everything is delivered (both service and drinks, food, etc.) with a smile.
matthandy likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So you're saying that this is a cultural issue as opposed to one based in saving money? I'll disagree with you on that.

"ME culture can’t sustain delivering premium services" -- I am in Al Mourjan quite regularly, and I've never encountered any employee who didn't have a very positive and service-oriented attitude. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for the staff there; and everything is delivered (both service and drinks, food, etc.) with a smile.
The majority of employees are not from ME, they are from South Asia. They are wonderful people and treated poorly by QR having very little protections and rights. The ME culture I am referring to are the decision makers be they at LY, EK, QR ... on the ground or on-board products and overall brand quality don’t hold up over time.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
When I was in AM last Saturday morning, all the hot food options at the buffet were vegetarian. Is this normal? OK, it was breakfast time in Doha, but for my felt timezone it was more lunchtime, so I was not interested in breakfast...
Other than that, I liked the lounge
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
don't get me wrong, but you checked BOTH buffets? on both sides?

Originally Posted by stepfel
When I was in AM last Saturday morning, all the hot food options at the buffet were vegetarian. Is this normal? OK, it was breakfast time in Doha, but for my felt timezone it was more lunchtime, so I was not interested in breakfast...
Other than that, I liked the lounge
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
.... I find the ME culture can’t sustain delivering premium services on the ground whether in hotels or lounges.
Interesting. But as your critics suggest, service in the lounge is generally friendly, efficient, pro-active. But I'm not sure of the continuity of service providers: I don't visit the lounge with sufficient frequency.

The secret to the high service levels might be the very employee vulnerability you cite. Where employees do not fit, they are easily replaced.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Interesting. But as your critics suggest, service in the lounge is generally friendly, efficient, pro-active. But I'm not sure of the continuity of service providers: I don't visit the lounge with sufficient frequency.

The secret to the high service levels might be the very employee vulnerability you cite. Where employees do not fit, they are easily replaced.
Hello - I want to make sure I am clear -- overwhelmingly, I have found the people who work in the lounge (or onboard) are kind, helpful and go the extra mile. I was referring to the actual quality and range of the available product. When I used the term ME culture I am referring to business culture, attitudes, behaviors... Things start out very strong but the quality isnt sustained over time despite the manpower to do so. IMHO for QR an example is the lounge food and beverage offerings that used to be so strong, another immediate example that comes to mind are the onboard meals on EY that went downhill so much.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello - I want to make sure I am clear -- overwhelmingly, I have found the people who work in the lounge (or onboard) are kind, helpful and go the extra mile. I was referring to the actual quality and range of the available product. When I used the term ME culture I am referring to business culture, attitudes, behaviors... Things start out very strong but the quality isnt sustained over time despite the manpower to do so. IMHO for QR an example is the lounge food and beverage offerings that used to be so strong, another immediate example that comes to mind are the onboard meals on EY that went downhill so much.

Got you. But I wonder if the deterioration of service levels in QR isn't more a result of cost-cutting - and Lord know we've seen enough of that at BA.

QR's levels of service were probably always going to be unsustainable in the long run. A business model pitting glossy service against (relatively) low fares isn't going to work long in the airline industry. I've no doubt the strategy was to lift revenues through higher fares as customers got hooked on the shiny service: but the near constant sales and 2for1 offers suggest that hasn't happened. So the rational move is to rein in the costs most easily controlled.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:18 pm

Just something to note... there is a possibility that the lounge might be dry either Thursday or Friday this week.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Just something to note... there is a possibility that the lounge might be dry either Thursday or Friday this week.
Is that a holiday related thing?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
don't get me wrong, but you checked BOTH buffets? on both sides?
Yes. One was breakfast-only, the other one vegetarian-only
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smid
Next holiday is National Day on December 18.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Smid
Prophet Mohammed's birthday.
Its not a public holiday in Qatar (it is in UAE) but in the past years the bars shut for one day. I've heard they will be shut either Thursday or Friday this week. The alcohol shop has already announced it will be closed on Friday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.