Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by The.walker
My mistake....I didn't read his second post... just went ahead and booked my trip to SFO for January. I'm excited.
good point - yes I am AA plat - so I guess I don’t have to worry
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, the misinformation to ahcjar103 was given by an outsourced check-in agent at MLE. I didn't notice that at the first point.
Award tickets are mapped to "U" fare class and according to the current QR policies, award tickets in "U" fare class have lounge access. By the way, Desirees , if you are still AA PLT, you would also have lounge access through your OWS status.
I believe "U" class is also used for employee and travel industry non-rev travel. These types of passengers are never entitled to lounge access.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:12 pm

Update 2: Went again this morning with my wife to get a quick breakfast and no problem whatsoever. So at this point it seems that at DOH nothing has changed.

As ISTflyer notes it may have been a misinformed outstation agent, but still puzzling that this occurred since it seemed well rehearsed and called out specifically with an up-sell offer for lounge access.

Thanks all and apologies for the false alarm!
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
I believe "U" class is also used for employee and travel industry non-rev travel. These types of passengers are never entitled to lounge access.
This isn't true at all. During my last trip to the states, I used my AA miles (KTM-DOH-DFW-ORD) and I accessed 3 lounges. I must admit the AA admiral club lounge in DFW appeared like a literal garbage, having spent 15 hrs on Qsuites and more importantly, 7 hrs in Al Mourjan Lounge. The quality of food was comparable to a fast food chain.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
I am pretty sure that awards and upgrades in Business Class on QR metal are issued on "U" fare class.
At least my recent upgrade with Qcredits was issued in "U" fare class after the upgrade and dummy award searches that I made recently map to "U" fare class.

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
Update 2: Went again this morning with my wife to get a quick breakfast and no problem whatsoever. So at this point it seems that at DOH nothing has changed.

As ISTflyer notes it may have been a misinformed outstation agent, but still puzzling that this occurred since it seemed well rehearsed and called out specifically with an up-sell offer.

Thanks all and apologies for the false alarm!
Just a warning that the thing that has changed is that "R" fare class ( a.k.a. Business Classic ) passengers now could not access the Al Mourjan Lounge for free anymore.
No changes for award tickets though as you experienced.

Originally Posted by The.walker
This isn't true at all. During my last trip to the states, I used my AA miles (KTM-DOH-DFW-ORD) and I accessed 3 lounges. I must admit the AA admiral club lounge in DFW appeared like a literal garbage, having spent 15 hrs on Qsuites and more importantly, 7 hrs in Al Mourjan Lounge. The quality of food was comparable to a fast food chain.
I assume that the food compared to a fast-food chain was at the Admirals Club in DFW D but not Al Mourjan.
Also, there were reports in the AA board that DFW A & DFW C clubs have better offerings compared to DFW D.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:55 am

[QUOTE=I

I assume that the food compared to a fast-food chain was at the Admirals Club in DFW D but not Al Mourjan.
Also, there were reports in the AA board that DFW A & DFW C clubs have better offerings compared to DFW D.[/QUOTE]

haha, I was obviously talking about DFW. It was atrocious. More like a worse version of Panda Express (they had some chinese). Al Mourjan is on a different level. I could never get myself to enjoy first-class flights or lounges because I'd go insane starting to wonder if I even "belong" there. Business isn't an issue - whether by paying $$ or using miles. Al Mourjan is pretty fantastic albeit I wish the location was a tad different, especially in regards to views from the lounge.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Plat, Marriot Plat
You would be admitted to the Al Mourjan Lounge, nothing to worry about. Although, you must present your LAX-DOH boarding pass at the Al Mourjan Lounge when checking-in. Do not throw it until you have successfully entered the Al Mourjan Lounge and your DOH-XXX ticket is stamped.

From the oneworld website;
Just to confirm, this policy would apply to those without status as well right? I’m trying to book IAD-DOH-MLE using AA miles but only the IAD-DOH segment is available in Business Class. The flight would arrive in DOH at 5pm and the next flight wouldn’t be until 1am so really don’t know what I would do without access to the lounge.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by whitecastle
Just to confirm, this policy would apply to those without status as well right? I’m trying to book IAD-DOH-MLE using AA miles but only the IAD-DOH segment is available in Business Class. The flight would arrive in DOH at 5pm and the next flight wouldn’t be until 1am so really don’t know what I would do without access to the lounge.
Yes, this is the oneworld Long-Haul -> Short-Haul transfer lounge access rule and applies to non-status passengers as well.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying LAX-DOH-BKK on QR in May on an R fare. AA EXP. Al Mourjan access with guest? I've read the OMAT posts, as well as everything on QR website, and wow is this murky. We were able to select seats at purchase.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Flying LAX-DOH-BKK on QR in May on an R fare. AA EXP. Al Mourjan access with guest? I've read the OMAT posts, as well as everything on QR website, and wow is this murky. We were able to select seats at purchase.
Currently, QR does a goodwill gesture and admits all status passengers ( QRPC Silver & higher or partner OWS & higher ) regardless of booking class and there is no published end date for this gesture. If the current gesture is still there in May, you would be admitted to the Al Mourjan Lounge as an AA EXP with one guest allowance. However, if this gesture is not there, it would be the First Class status lounge for you and your guest or you would need to pay for Al Mourjan. Most likely, the current situation would continue in May but nobody could say a definitive answer.

For the seat selection part, that is also because of status; your AA EXP status allows free seat selection regardless of booking class. If you didn't have that status, you would have needed to pay for seat selection.
smitty06 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Currently, QR does a goodwill gesture and admits all status passengers ( QRPC Silver & higher or partner OWS & higher ) regardless of booking class and there is no published end date for this gesture. If the current gesture is still there in May, you would be admitted to the Al Mourjan Lounge as an AA EXP with one guest allowance. However, if this gesture is not there, it would be the First Class status lounge for you and your guest or you would need to pay for Al Mourjan. Most likely, the current situation would continue in May but nobody could say a definitive answer.

For the seat selection part, that is also because of status; your AA EXP status allows free seat selection regardless of booking class. If you didn't have that status, you would have needed to pay for seat selection.
Thank you!

I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed for free access. It's a very well-priced ticket (about $2k less than most carriers) so not going to complain if we have to pay.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:41 pm

Any recent experience with the quiet rooms at the Al Mourjan? I have AMM-DOH-IAD, arriving at DOH around 2230 and departing DOH around 0800 the next day. Trying to decide whether or not to book a room at the Oryx airport hotel (not looking forward to that price).
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
Any recent experience with the quiet rooms at the Al Mourjan? I have AMM-DOH-IAD, arriving at DOH around 2230 and departing DOH around 0800 the next day. Trying to decide whether or not to book a room at the Oryx airport hotel (not looking forward to that price).
Why should you pay for the Oryx Airport Hotel for 6-7 hours, the quiet room cubicles at Al Mourjan are comfortable and would be OK for a short nap. Although, they are sleeper sofas and would not give the comfort of a bed, it's definitely not worth to spend $200+ on a hotel room where you have the chance to sleep on a 13 hour flight afterwards during the flight.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:43 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
I read somewhere you can access the sleeper rooms at Al Safwa again, although the lounge is mostly closed. Might be worth the fee they levy?
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAWorldVoyager
I read somewhere you can access the sleeper rooms at Al Safwa again, although the lounge is mostly closed. Might be worth the fee they levy?
In another thread it was reported that paid entry to the sleeping rooms at Al Safwa is not possible at this time.
You would need to be on a "First Class" ticket or a QR Platinum traveling in J to access those sleeping rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.