Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Welcome to the best place to discuss your issue or complaint about QR.

Here on the QR Forum, we have seen and helped FTers with many different complaints, issues, and problems with Qatar Airways.

The official QR Contact line do not tend to show too much creativity in problem resolution, and can be a little slow.

The best options, are either through Twitter, or by email below.

So, before messaging QR directly ([email protected]), why not share your problem here, and see if we can assist?
Print Wikipost

Complaints / Rants / Problems with QR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by nflippa
Tried QR for the first time after many years of EK loyalty - what a disappointment...
Their A320 business product was uncomfortable for the 5 hour flight from Nairobi to Doha.
We landed 10 minutes late and the 55 minute transfer time for the connection seemed tight, I was expecting to be met by ground staff to fast track me to the Munich flight - but no one was there (turns out that the agent who was supposed to be there was also late). After a lengthy transit I got to the gate C24 to find the agent looking for me and the gate closed 10 min prior to departure time. They weren't willing to open the flight and instead rerouted me on Emirates (ironically) getting me to my destination 7 hours later than planned.

They had just just given me Gold status in order for me to try their product and move my business away from EK.. not sure if that was a successful pitch.

What can be expected from QR in form of compensation for this poorly coordinated transfer resulting in a substantial delay?
If your flight patterns include a lot of regional legs from/to DOH, I'd stay with EK. With all of EK's issues, they have one amazing advantage and that is an all wide-body fleet and that generally translates to better regional product compared to narrow body fleet of competitor deployed on similar flights.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrobin
Thanks for this advice remdk. Retrieving and retagging luggage was not an issue as I had no checked bags.

One option was to have my status changed from "checked-in" to "not checked-in" for the flight I did not want to take about 7 hours later.
jrobin and remdk, thank you both for your messages (and for the welcome). It looks like I have a couple of options now - I'll try and check in only to DOH, but if this doesn't work then I'll find this transfer desk and see what they're able to do. My flights aren't for a couple of months, so I'll report back after I've taken them.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Bugger.... our DOH-MAN flight tomorrow has been changed from a B787 to an A332.

I know.... before anybody says it. I'm just venting
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:13 am

DYKWIA it's always good with a change of air! Sorry I cant craft this in a funnier fashion.
See you later ventilator!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: QR Plat
MEH.

The "Premium line" in DOH hasn't picked up the call in 15 minutes. Seeing that they actively block dialing to the QR numbers using Skype, this means burning off a lot of money when roaming.

-A
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: QR Silver
Travelling with family members

Booked Econ tickets for myself & wifey online and were pleased to see on our booking the reservation pre-allocated seats in the nicer parts of each corresponding flight (i would have made sure we were together anyway).
One particular sector LHR-DOH was the rear section upstairs on an A380. I'm silver, she's a burgundy member so thought nothing of this other than looking forward to peace & quiet on that particular flight.

For that flight we checked in over 3hrs prior to takeoff but it wasn't until we got onto the plane we realised my wife had be 'reallocated' to a downstairs econ seat while I still had the one as per booking. Assuming we'd be sat together as we were for the other flights we didn't look our BP (yeah user error) nor did the check-in agent even mention it.

As tempting as it was to stay upstairs I requested to be seated with the missus and the steward said something on the lines "it's because she's Burgundy member".

Does QR have this policy to separate the lower-statused members even if they've been seated together on all other flights in the same ticket/booking as per allocated seats?
I know I stand to gain nothing it's totally sour grapes so wanted to know for future flights. Oh and she gained silver on the sector after this flight.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:52 am

alc16 if you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...seating-q.html you will see that the upper deck is reserved for status passengers within PC and OW. Non-status passengers are not allowed, unless the lower deck is full.
Admittedly no help to your wife and it is not in the formal PC list of member advantages because it needs to be suspended when the lower deck is full.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by remdk
alc16 if you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...seating-q.html you will see that the upper deck is reserved for status passengers within PC and OW. Non-status passengers are not allowed, unless the lower deck is full.
Admittedly no help to your wife and it is not in the formal PC list of member advantages because it needs to be suspended when the lower deck is full.
Thx remdk I should have read the Q&A...I would have reserved a better location downstairs had I read this earlier! At least we got off the flight a bit earlier in time for a shower so there was a positive.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Alc16 My experience of à Platinum member about traveling with non status pax on A380 is that if they are on the same reservation, you can select upper seats for them, but their seats will be automatically reallocated on the lower deck by QR 72 hours prior to the flight. Then you have to wait online check in, which starts 48 hours before the flight, to reallocate non status pax on the upper deck. Failing to do so means you might not be able to find any upper deck availability at airport check-in for them, if you'd ever noticed they were automatically reallocated to lower deck.
If you want good seats, always check you were not reallocated elsewhere as it can happen in many occasions.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Matt4
Alc16 My experience of à Platinum member about traveling with non status pax on A380 is that if they are on the same reservation, you can select upper seats for them, but their seats will be automatically reallocated on the lower deck by QR 72 hours prior to the flight. Then you have to wait online check in, which starts 48 hours before the flight, to reallocate non status pax on the upper deck. Failing to do so means you might not be able to find any upper deck availability at airport check-in for them, if you'd ever noticed they were automatically reallocated to lower deck.
If you want good seats, always check you were not reallocated elsewhere as it can happen in many occasions.
Thanks Matt4...very useful advice.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:30 am

There are 26 pages in this thread and I've always heard that Qatar Airways can be really bad when things go wrong - So it seemed kinda crazy to read that QR has been awarded the best airline in the world for customer service!

It would be interesting to know if they are taking customer complaints more seriously now.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:30 am Reason: Per rules on linking to outside content
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by wowzimmer
There are 26 pages in this thread and I've always heard that Qatar Airways can be really bad when things go wrong - So it seemed kinda crazy to read that QR has been awarded the best airline in the world for customer service!

It would be interesting to know if they are taking customer complaints more seriously now.
The award seems to be based on 3 areas:
Cabin Crew
Onboard Services
Punctuality.

What I read here seems to indicate most problems arise when things don't go to plan/on the ground. The article reinforces that saying:

However, it wasn’t all good news for Qatar Airways as they fell behind other airlines in quickly and efficiently responding to the concerns of its passengers when things did go wrong. It ranked in lowly 29th place for ‘claim responsiveness’, behind much smaller airlines such as Flybe of the UK and Air Canada.
From an organisation I've never even heard of before, I'd take the rankings with a pinch of salt.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 14, 2017 at 9:31 am Reason: Removed quoted link
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Involuntary Denied Boarding - Reasonable Compensation?

Hi everyone,

Back last week, once we arrived at LHR, check-in agents informed my girlfriend that she would not be able to fly as the DOH-MNL flight was experiencing a change of equipment (not true, as it turns out). I won't go into more detail, as it's all in the emails that I've pasted below. She flew on an award ticket using my miles, so I understand that she was one of the first to be bumped, but as far as I'm concerned that should have no influence on compensation. Am I being unreasonable in my request to QR, or are they actually being as uncaring as I think they are??

My email, 4th Jan:

Hello,

I am writing regarding booking reference XXXXXX / Ms InternationalLiving. My PC# is XXXXXXX.

On January 3rd, Ms InternationalLiving was meant to travel LHR-DOH-MNL. However, after making the 90-minute drive to the airport, we were informed that she could not board the London-Doha flight due to "a change of equipment for the Doha-Manila flight". We were asked to go to the ticketing desk.

At the ticketing desk they confirmed the legally mandated 300EUR/£256 compensation to be paid by QR. Ms InternationalLiving was then offered two options: either be rebooked with Turkish Airlines, or come back the next day, Jan 4th, to fly with Qatar. Now, Ms InternationalLiving is an extremely anxious flyer, and it took several months to convince her to fly alone to the UK. The prospect of flying a different airline with a different routing was too much for her to handle, and with the political situation in Turkey, this rebooking option was not an option for her at all (had you offered to rebook on someone like CX, I imagine that she might have felt more comfortable taking that option).
Consequently, she decided to take the Qatar flight on Jan 4th, with similar timings. I imagine that this was also to QR's satisfaction, as the consumer cost of a one-way ticket LHR-IST-MNL was £940 at the time the rebooking was being offered.

Now, here is what is making me feel actually quite angry. We were told that the reason for denied boarding was due to equipment change due to technical issues. Fine - I understand that sometimes aircraft cannot fly and this is outside the control of QR, and so I did not make a fuss at the airport. HOWEVER, I checked the aircraft operating QR932 on Jan 4th, and it was A7-BAV, a 777-300 in a 24J/388Y configuration, just as scheduled. While I appreciate that a few aircraft were rerouted to Bahrain due to fog on the 3rd, the info I have indicates that only one of these aircraft was a 777 (A7-BAN), and therefore it seems improbable that this has a significant effect on your operations (and, as I pointed out, the scheduled equipment was not changed).

As someone who has been a Privilege Club Silver or Gold member every year since 2010 inclusive, I take great offense at being told what is, in effect, a lie. The reality is almost certainly that QR overbooked the flight to Manila, and that this overbooking was compounded by some fog disruption. I was told by the ticketing agent that passengers in Doha were being asked to voluntarily take another flight (and were presumably offered additional compensation to do so). While I will receive the mandated EU compensation from yourselves, I also incurred significant costs due to having to rebook an internal flight within the Philippines, cancel a hotel reservation, as well as make an additional 3-hour return trip to the airport (why was I not called before leaving home?!), not to mention the expensive LHR car park costs, and the costs of additional meals etc; the £256 barely covers these costs.

Therefore, in addition to informing me of the process for payment of the £256 compensation, I would like to know how you intend to rectify my discontent with your handling of this situation, one which is of Qatar's own making and clearly not related to aircraft technical difficulties. I will reiterate that as a long-time and frequent customer, I do not appreciate being lied to or told half-truths about a situation, or being compensated for significant inconvenience without so much as an apology or any more than the minimum compensation required by law.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Regards,

Mr InternationalLiving
This was their reply from the UK Customer relations team, received today, 11th Jan:

Dear Mr InternationalLiving,

Thank-you for your email letter dated 04th January 2017, from which we were indeed very sorry to learn of the inconveniences encountered by Ms InternationalLiving whilst travelling with us.

It is most regrettable that we were unable to accept her for flight QR932/04th 2017 from Doha to Manila and that she subsequently arrived some 24 hours later than originally planned.

It may well be that the aircraft equipment didn’t change, although I do not have confirmation of that, however, sometimes it is not possible to accept a full payload of passengers. En-route weather conditions can mean addition fuel is needed or cargo on board, either causing the flight to have weight issues.

The experience that Ms InternationalLiving has encountered is certainly not a characteristic of the high standards of service we are striving to provide. As one of the fastest growing airlines in the world we are aware of the expectations of our customers and certainly try our best to meet these.

The airline industry and its operations are notoriously affected by multiple uncontrollable factors and for this reason timings are not guaranteed. Although we fully understand the consequences of Ms InternationalLiving’s late arrival, we regret to inform you that the airline cannot be held liable/responsible for separate contracts.

We can only advise that if independent travel insurance is held, this may be the only possible avenue for restitution.

However, we can assure you that we are anxious to retain Ms InternationalLiving as a satisfied customer, therefore in recognition of the inconveniences that she has encountered and as a gesture of goodwill, we are pleased to learn that Ms InternationalLiving was given a refundable Travel Voucher to the sum of £256 (Eur300).

Please be kind enough to ask Ms InternationalLiving to advise us of her bank sort code and account number, in order that we can arrange for a transfer of funds to her.

We ask you to relay our repeated apologies to Ms InternationalLiving for the inconvenience caused & hope that we will have the privilege of welcoming her aboard our services again in the near future, under altogether happier circumstances.

Yours sincerely,

T

Customer Relations
Not happy with this vague cookie-cutter response, I replied:

Dear T,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, I do not feel that your response to my email has been satisfactory. To begin with, all the information that I provided you with regarding the flight delay is verifiable, as it is either information that came from Qatar Airways agents, or from flight tracking/data websites. I find it very difficult to believe that there was any restriction on the passenger numbers due to aircraft weight for this flight: Doha has long runways, the weather is currently cool, and the range of the 777-300ER is approximately 10,500km at maximum payload based on Boeing's payload/range chart ( http://oi37.tinypic.com/2hhdipw.jpg ), whereas the distance to Manila is 7,280km, so even allowing for emergency fuel, this is well within range. As I mentioned before, I do not like being lied to, and I find it unacceptable the way in which I was (seemingly deliberately) not provided with the correct information at the time. Over the past 7 years I have flown 57 sectors with QR, almost all of them long-haul. I expect that as a valued customer, you try harder to correct the situation. The 300EUR voucher is not a gesture of goodwill, but rather what is required by law, and I suspect that if it was not required you would not have even offered that. If you are not able to handle this situation satisfactorily then I will request that you pass the matter up to your supervisor.

Thank you for your continued attention to this issue.

Regards,

Mr InternationalLiving

Am I being reasonable or unreasonable here?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:58 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Not wanting to be harsh, but this seems like a case of shouting at the waiter for an error made by the Executive Chef - the person handling your Complaint, is simply doing their job and the case will likely now be sent to a Supervisor.

The specifics of the distances QR aircraft can fly for example, should only be discussed if you have significant knowledge of a number of crucial areas - unless you are a 777 specific engineer, and a routing expert, I would not even bother pandering to the point made in the QR response.

Your partner was given the legally required €300, and that is likely the only meaningful sum you will receive. You may be sent some Qmiles, but QR are not bound to do so.

There are a number of comments one could pick on from your original correspondence, but I feel that would be pointless as the letter has already been sent.

Your latest letter however, misses a key component - What do you actually want from QR? Clearly you want more than an apology, so you ought to have specified that.

There is a thread regarding Complaints to QR, and I'll try and link it when I'm off mobile. You will find helpful hints within that thread as to how to handle QR CS, but I'm not sure you will have too much joy (sorry!).

Safe travels,

M
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Thanks Msm, reading it a third time, perhaps my reply was a little more shirty than I had intended - I don't like to ever be rude unless it's genuinely justified.

Point taken about being more specific about what I'm looking for. While I would like some sort of additional financial or Qmiles compensation (refund?) for the trouble, perhaps what I'm looking for more is a written apology (preferably by post) which comes across as sincere. For me, that is more important than anything else - because I, as a loyal customer, actually feel quite offended by being lied to/fed misinformation. And sincere just wasn't what I was getting in the email...

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.