Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Traveller999

So in your opinion a payment (for upgrades) with miles earned during many flights is less worth than money?
Interesting approach .....
Hmm, should I have marked the sarcasm more clearly?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Hmm, should I have marked the sarcasm more clearly?
hahaha, yes possibly ;-)
well done!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:42 am

Keep in mind, I was thrown out half naked in January, from an empty AS Lounge, because low-life me only had an upgraded ticket and the clearly stating QR website with AS access, was "just a mistake", besides the new rules going into effect in February....
I guess thats what they call "Qatari Hospitality - 5 star in the air, Motel6 service on the ground" ��
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Keep in mind, I was thrown out half naked in January, from an empty AS Lounge, ....
Half-naked? Care to elaborate? Did they drag you out of a shower with a towel wrapped around yourself?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:26 am

is standing in my underwear, in a sleeping room naked enough for you?

No AS for YOU!

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Half-naked? Care to elaborate? Did they drag you out of a shower with a towel wrapped around yourself?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Keep in mind, I was thrown out half naked in January, from an empty AS Lounge, because low-life me only had an upgraded ticket and the clearly stating QR website with AS access, was "just a mistake", besides the new rules going into effect in February....
I guess thats what they call "Qatari Hospitality - 5 star in the air, Motel6 service on the ground" ��
I have the unsettling picture of a door opening, then you being violently ejected in underwear with your clothes under your arm. Your bags thrown out behind you, all under the malevolent eye of the Teddy Bear.

Seriously this is the depressingly usual manifestation of QR's version of customer service. Staff are terrified of getting things wrong, so correct things abruptly with little thought beyond the rule book.

Clearly a mistake of this nature made in the passenger's favour should be allowed to stand, while quietly explaining that a mistake has indeed been made.
synd likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I have the unsettling picture of a door opening, then you being violently ejected in underwear with your clothes under your arm. Your bags thrown out behind you, all under the malevolent eye of the Teddy Bear.
You don't want to p**s off the bear. Never. Bad move...

Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
is standing in my underwear, in a sleeping room naked enough for you?

No AS for YOU!
Sorry, but I want to be certain that I understand. You were asleep in a sleeping room and they told you that you could not be there and had to leave? Did someone stand there and watch you dress? Ugh.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:53 am

Ok, again than.... I upgraded a friend of mine and me with qmiles from business to first BKK>DOH. Mainly to show him AS.
2 weeks in advance, not at the airport. January.
Flew First, arrived DOH, got to the AS desk, was welcomed, BP checked, time checked, let in.
Went to the quiet room desk, ask for two sleeping rooms. Got them, walked in.... undressed.... almost.
*DING DONG* (thought my friend came to ask something)
opended door in underpants, outside stood the front office clerk who let us in AS in the first place.
explained to me TEARY EYED that he had made a mistake, because of our upgraded tickets we had NO access to AS. WE HAD TO LEAVE NOW!
I WAS PISSED, got dressed, went to the desk inside AS, ask what was wrong with them, showed them my MMB website which clearly stated AS access! (only did learn later that the well thought through policy about upgraded tickets came into effect later in February....)
They politely explained that it must be a website mistake, THERE WAS NOTHING in the Universe the could possibly do, Me and my friend had to leave, but they would kindly show me the "sleeping rooms" in AM (which turned out to be the loungers behind business, but they would kindly wake me after 2hours sleep as soon as some of the couches in the "real" quite room in AM where available....)
All this while the AS lounge was literally empty!
I do come from the hospitality business and never ever ever would these things happen in Hotels. If an employee makes a mistake (which in that case wasnot even one), never ever ever will the guest "suffer".
You could explain to the guest what happened and he shouldn't expect the presidential suite the next time, BUT YOU NEVER throw him out.
Until that day, I was 100% impressed with the 5star QR service, since than I know that in the air, their service is mostly above almost any other airline in business, on the ground its a whole other story. Sad actually.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
BUT YOU NEVER throw him out.
Yes, a similar thing happened to me, because of QR IRROPS.

I was ticketed in first to BEY, but missed my connection due to a very delayed incoming aircraft. I asked to be re-accommodated on another flight, and pending this was allowed into the AS and a sleep room. When the new flight was sorted out, 5 hours later, it was a J seat to ATH, so I was promptly thrown out and frog-marched to AM.

How does that engender customer satisfaction/loyalty?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
This aggressive insistence on maintaining Al-Safwa absolutely exclusively for "pure" -- for lack of a better word -- F passengers is a little bizarre (no to upgrades, no to most passengers incoming on F flights and transferring to J flights, etc.). Given the relative paucity of F cabins and service on QR's network, would I be correct in assuming that the majority of F passengers admitted to al-Safwa are passengers travelling out of DOH on flights to Middle Eastern destinations in J cabins (and paying J fares) which are marketed as F class? In other words, precisely the "riff-raff" they, under different circumstances, are at such pains to exclude. It's all a bit confusingly anomalous......
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:10 am

After the quartet is out, I believe only AMM, BEY, MCT and KWI remain as 2-class F destinations.

The quartet must have accounted for at least 30 flights per day. It was already library-quiet before the blockade, so I can't even imagine now.

I agree, it's a weird obsession to keep seemingly everyone out. A waste of space too, when the remaining lounges are bursting at the seams.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Grace B
Yes, a similar thing happened to me, because of QR IRROPS.

I was ticketed in first to BEY, but missed my connection due to a very delayed incoming aircraft. I asked to be re-accommodated on another flight, and pending this was allowed into the AS and a sleep room. When the new flight was sorted out, 5 hours later, it was a J seat to ATH, so I was promptly thrown out and frog-marched to AM.

How does that engender customer satisfaction/loyalty?
I’ve always been a firm fan of QR’s onboard product & service, and it so happens that just within the last week or so I have enjoyed perhaps my best-ever flights with them.

I myself have yet to experience any IIROPS (I’m sure my time will come ....!) but am in no doubt at all that the frequent reports of poor handling / recovery are 100% genuine.

The treatment described here by Grace B is truly ridiculous and I’d say QR should be ashamed. They do themselves no justice with this uncultured approach.

Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by husseinbadr
... the majority of F passengers admitted to al-Safwa are passengers travelling out of DOH on flights to Middle Eastern destinations in J cabins (and paying J fares) which are marketed as F class?
I get the sentiment, but the poor saps are paying F-class fares to sit in J-class cabins. Unless they are on connecting flights paying J-class fares to sit in J-class cabins but receiving F-class FFP benefits.

Complicated. But have you seen those intra-Gulf F-class fares ?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:49 pm

Exactly, intragulf is not cheap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.