Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
I was just in there. J OWE directed to AS lounge as AM lounge undergoing maintenance today. As I posted in another thread, it was a heaving chaotic mess and very unpleasant for both passengers and staff.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:21 pm

Are they still overcooking the beef there?
SullyofDoha and DatBoi like this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:39 am

Does anyone know how long the Al Mourjan maintenance is going on for, please? My experience of Al Safwa has been tranquility with few people around. I plan to be in Doha in March but will reschedule if Al Safwa is going to be chaos.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
I was just in there. J OWE directed to AS lounge as AM lounge undergoing maintenance today. As I posted in another thread, it was a heaving chaotic mess and very unpleasant for both passengers and staff.
I'm sitting in Al Safwa myself right now, presumably for the same reason (Flying QR in J, am also OWE). Pleased to say that it is a lot quieter now, and very pleasant so far. Now I only have to find the "sleeping rooms" that I just saw in the pics above, and I will be a very happy bunny indeed. Also, Chardonnay and Port wine were both very pleasant half an hour ago.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Are they still overcooking the beef there?
iluvdoco what are you beefing about?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Now I only have to find the "sleeping rooms" that I just saw in the pics above, and I will be a very happy bunny indeed.
You "find" the sleeping rooms by asking at the desk. If one's available, a staff member will take you to it and open it for you. You cannot reserve them, so it's first-come, first-served; but it's not self-service.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You "find" the sleeping rooms by asking at the desk. If one's available, a staff member will take you to it and open it for you. You cannot reserve them, so it's first-come, first-served; but it's not self-service.
Ah, thanks for this! I did ask, and they told me that they did not have any, apart from the family / parent rooms, which as a single traveller I would not have access to. Perhaps they are still keeping the sleeping rooms for real F pax, even though they opened the lounge to J pax today?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Ah, thanks for this! I did ask, and they told me that they did not have any, apart from the family / parent rooms, which as a single traveller I would not have access to. Perhaps they are still keeping the sleeping rooms for real F pax, even though they opened the lounge to J pax today?
There are a few quiet rooms that you could catch some ZZZ's at past the gaming/sweets rooms. It usually stays quiet in there (literally nobody in that area the last time I visited) and they have some couches you could take a nap on.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
iluvdoco what are you beefing about?
Haha. Can someone please explain how/why QR overcooks its beef in the Al-Safwa lounge when 1) they have a huge professional kitchen, and 2) the meat served onboard their flights is perfectly cooked?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:19 pm

iluvdoco my understanding is that due to health and safety reasons food is prepared off site in the catering plant and is just reheated in the "huge professional kitchen"!
One reason mentioned at the time was that 'open flames' were a serious fire hazard! But there were apparently other reasons that have not become public knowledge.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
and there are very few - I’ve actually never been able to get one myself in my few QR F trips...
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: EY Gold, BA Gold, EK Gold, CX Gold
I was wondering why the lounge appeared to have become like the Al Mourjan. No menu, champagne choices and the food was exactly like the Al Mourjan. Then I saw the snack area has a sign for First Class with 2 people patrolling it. I was thinking people who booked first class were getting a sub-par product until I saw that.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
and there are very few - I’ve actually never been able to get one myself in my few QR F trips...
Seriously? Never happened to me on my (limited number of) visits since the embargo started.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
i am watching the Thailand page now and i see this:

Enjoy up to 15% off access to Qatar Airways' Al Mourjan Business Lounge, Premium Arrivals Lounge and Al Safwa First Lounge at Hamad International Airport.
Purchase your access online through 'My Trips' after you have completed your booking, or through any Qatar Airways sales office, contact centre, or your travel agent.
  • Sale period: 9 until 16 January 2018.
  • Discount applies to Al Mourjan Business Lounge, First Class Lounge, Business Class Lounge and Al Maha Lounge for passengers travelling on Qatar Airways operated flights worldwide with the exception of flights arriving in Doha.
  • Premium Arrival Lounge offer is applicable for passengers arriving to Doha as their final destination within their itinerary.
  • Discount applies to Al Mourjan & Premium Arrival Lounges services only.
  • Booked services are non-refundable.
  • Changes are permitted up to 24 hours prior to departure. Changes are not permitted within 24 hours of departure.
  • Services are non-refundable in the case of no-shows.
  • Other terms and conditions apply. Please refer to the detailed terms and conditions at time of booking the service.

Last edited by SENNINHA; Jan 8, 2018 at 9:25 pm Reason: adding more info
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by SENNINHA
i am watching the Thailand page now and i see this:

Enjoy up to 15% off access to Qatar Airways' Al Mourjan Business Lounge, Premium Arrivals Lounge and Al Safwa First Lounge at Hamad International Airport.
Purchase your access online through 'My Trips' after you have completed your booking, or through any Qatar Airways sales office, contact centre, or your travel agent.
  • Sale period: 9 until 16 January 2018.
  • Discount applies to Al Mourjan Business Lounge, First Class Lounge, Business Class Lounge and Al Maha Lounge for passengers travelling on Qatar Airways operated flights worldwide with the exception of flights arriving in Doha.
  • Premium Arrival Lounge offer is applicable for passengers arriving to Doha as their final destination within their itinerary.
  • Discount applies to Al Mourjan & Premium Arrival Lounges services only.
  • Booked services are non-refundable.
  • Changes are permitted up to 24 hours prior to departure. Changes are not permitted within 24 hours of departure.
  • Services are non-refundable in the case of no-shows.
  • Other terms and conditions apply. Please refer to the detailed terms and conditions at time of booking the service.
I saw this too. I wasn't aware that the access to Al Mourjan and Al Safwa is now open to all passengers...for a fee. I checked QR app out of curiousity. I have an upcoming flight on J and saw that the rate for Al Mourjan is USD124, although it was marked as "Included" on my reservation. I did not see anything about Al Safwa though.

Last edited by Professional Bum; Jan 8, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.