Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Lounge service during Ramadan

Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

I assume service during the flights is as usual.

Thanks for any insight :-)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SAA340
Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...reduction.html

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
2 years ago the only difference was that they did not serve any alcohol.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:56 pm

I have just flown MEL-DOH, we were not permitted to have any alcohol until the doors were closed.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by impeymac
This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...
Ah, thanks for the link! Completely forgot to search the forum..

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)
They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

I saw four UK passengers pouring their own in the lounge last ramadan.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.
This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you wont know what those consequences will be until it is too late.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I also considered bringing a small bottle of something good from the duty free in OSL to consume in the lounge, but then I thought about it for another 2 seconds, and reconsidered, due to what you mention kmcbrid2; Respect for their culture (and the fact that it is banned). After all we are visitors to their country, even if still in a transit zone. I sound like a complete alcoholic having started this thread, but I'll be fine waiting until I get on the plane (morning flight though, maybe I'll wait until after 12, at least!). There is something fantastic about a drink or 2 when flying, in my mind :-)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house
I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!
^ I guess if you are Irish then there wouldn't be much alcohol for personnel consumption.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, FB, UA
Originally Posted by impeymac
Quote:

Hi all.

Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
In principle they probably could have been arrested. In practice I doubt the Qatari authorities would act, provided the passengers were not drunk and disorderly. The PT is a very different place to the rest of Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you wont know what those consequences will be until it is too late.
I agree. You would be very foolish. Fortunately I managed to escape without finding out the "consequences" of any misdemeanour.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:28 am

This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.
I was under the impression that all public eating and drinking were prohibited in Qatar during Ramadan? If a lounge is a public area or not under Qatari law is up to someone else to determine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.