QR Lounges at HIA

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 19, 6:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: NZbutterfly
Wiki Link
Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.


Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jul 15, 13, 7:47 am
  #1  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bømlo, Norway//Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Programs: QR Silver
Posts: 222
Lounge service during Ramadan

Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

I assume service during the flights is as usual.

Thanks for any insight :-)
SAA340 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 13, 8:34 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by SAA340 View Post
Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

I assume service during the flights is as usual.

Thanks for any insight :-)
This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...reduction.html

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...
impeymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 13, 11:16 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Denmark/Sri Lanka
Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Posts: 576
2 years ago the only difference was that they did not serve any alcohol.
kataka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 13, 11:56 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 213
I have just flown MEL-DOH, we were not permitted to have any alcohol until the doors were closed.
Skoodledoo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 13, 3:47 am
  #5  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bømlo, Norway//Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Programs: QR Silver
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by impeymac View Post
This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...reduction.html

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...
Ah, thanks for the link! Completely forgot to search the forum..

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)
SAA340 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 13, 9:32 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, Atlanta, Amsterdam, KSAV
Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Posts: 422
Originally Posted by SAA340 View Post

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)
They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

I saw four UK passengers pouring their own in the lounge last ramadan.
tomnativenewyorker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Asia
Posts: 1,274
Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker View Post
They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

I saw four UK passengers pouring their own in the lounge last ramadan.
Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
kmcbrid2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:26 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: All over
Programs: Most
Posts: 10,828
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.
holtju2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Asia
Posts: 1,274
Originally Posted by holtju2 View Post
Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.
This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you won’t know what those consequences will be until it is too late.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.
kmcbrid2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 5:07 am
  #10  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bømlo, Norway//Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Programs: QR Silver
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
I also considered bringing a small bottle of something good from the duty free in OSL to consume in the lounge, but then I thought about it for another 2 seconds, and reconsidered, due to what you mention kmcbrid2; Respect for their culture (and the fact that it is banned). After all we are visitors to their country, even if still in a transit zone. I sound like a complete alcoholic having started this thread, but I'll be fine waiting until I get on the plane (morning flight though, maybe I'll wait until after 12, at least!). There is something fantastic about a drink or 2 when flying, in my mind :-)
SAA340 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 5:49 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
Posts: 22,969
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house
I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!
irishguy28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 6:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Asia
Posts: 1,274
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!
I guess if you are Irish then there wouldn't be much alcohol for personnel consumption.
kmcbrid2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 13, 6:46 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: AA, FB, UA
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by impeymac View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by SAA340


Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

I assume service during the flights is as usual.

Thanks for any insight :-)




This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...reduction.html

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...
neflyer13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 13, 9:05 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 12,048
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker View Post
I saw four UK passengers pouring their own in the lounge last ramadan.
I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.
In principle they probably could have been arrested. In practice I doubt the Qatari authorities would act, provided the passengers were not drunk and disorderly. The PT is a very different place to the rest of Qatar.

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you won’t know what those consequences will be until it is too late.
I agree. You would be very foolish. Fortunately I managed to escape without finding out the "consequences" of any misdemeanour.
Sixth Freedom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 13, 9:28 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 948
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 View Post
This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you won’t know what those consequences will be until it is too late.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.
I was under the impression that all public eating and drinking were prohibited in Qatar during Ramadan? If a lounge is a public area or not under Qatari law is up to someone else to determine.
theddo is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: