FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR Lounges at HIA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1578224-qr-lounges-hia.html)

SAA340 Jul 15, 2013 6:47 am

Lounge service during Ramadan

Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

I assume service during the flights is as usual.

Thanks for any insight :-)

impeymac Jul 15, 2013 7:34 am

Originally Posted by SAA340 (Post 21098840)
Hi all.

I have an upcoming trip OSL-DOH-JNB on Friday and was wondering is there are any disruptions to the normal service in the Oryx Lounge now that Ramadan has started? I have a layover from about 23-07 in the morning, which is usual on the OSL-JNB sector so I am used to the normal reduction in food etc., but will there be any alcohol available at all? Normally they stop serving alcohol at midnight IIRC (this may be wrong, but i do know they stop at some point at night at least).

This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...reduction.html

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink... :p

kataka Jul 15, 2013 10:16 am

2 years ago the only difference was that they did not serve any alcohol.

Skoodledoo Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

I have just flown MEL-DOH, we were not permitted to have any alcohol until the doors were closed.

SAA340 Jul 16, 2013 2:47 am

Originally Posted by impeymac (Post 21099072)
This has been asked several times over the last few years, the link probably gives you most of the info you need;

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink... :p

Ah, thanks for the link! Completely forgot to search the forum..

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)

tomnativenewyorker Jul 16, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by SAA340 (Post 21104556)

Ok, so it seems there will be alcohol during the flights, but not in the lounge. Typical. I love a nice G&T after arrival and a shower, before I get started with work during the night.
Ah well, next time :-)

They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

I saw four UK passengers pouring their own in the lounge last ramadan.

kmcbrid2 Jul 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker (Post 21105834)
They still sell alcohol in the duty free downstairs.

Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.

holtju2 Jul 16, 2013 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 (Post 21110365)
I beleive they could have been arrested since alcohol is banned in Qatar during Ramadan, not to mention lack of cultural respect.

Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.

kmcbrid2 Jul 16, 2013 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 21110385)
Cannot be true, as one of the international hotels was happy to offer me a bottle of red wine as amenity last year, when I was in Doha during the Ramadan.

This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you won’t know what those consequences will be until it is too late.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.

SAA340 Jul 17, 2013 4:07 am

Not adviseable at all. I need a good drink as much as the next guy but anyone should be able to wait until they get on the plane to get their drink.

I also considered bringing a small bottle of something good from the duty free in OSL to consume in the lounge, but then I thought about it for another 2 seconds, and reconsidered, due to what you mention kmcbrid2; Respect for their culture (and the fact that it is banned). After all we are visitors to their country, even if still in a transit zone. I sound like a complete alcoholic having started this thread, but I'll be fine waiting until I get on the plane (morning flight though, maybe I'll wait until after 12, at least!). There is something fantastic about a drink or 2 when flying, in my mind :-)

irishguy28 Jul 17, 2013 4:49 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2 (Post 21110464)
You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house

I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!

kmcbrid2 Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 21111187)
I wouldn't want the personnel at home drinking my alcohol. The staff can buy their own!!!

^:) I guess if you are Irish then there wouldn't be much alcohol for personnel consumption.

neflyer13 Jul 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by impeymac (Post 21099072)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAA340

Hi all.

Not good news if you're overnighting in a Doha lounge & desperate for a drink...

Sixth Freedom Jul 28, 2013 8:05 am

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker (Post 21105834)

In principle they probably could have been arrested. In practice I doubt the Qatari authorities would act, provided the passengers were not drunk and disorderly. The PT is a very different place to the rest of Qatar.

I would not advise someone to publicly consume alcohol during Ramadan in Qatar unless they are willing to accept what every the consequences could be. The problem is after living in Qatar for several years you won’t know what those consequences will be until it is too late.

I agree. You would be very foolish. Fortunately I managed to escape without finding out the "consequences" of any misdemeanour.

theddo Jul 28, 2013 8:28 am

This was in your hotel room correct?

Qatar stops selling alcohol during Ramadan to include the hotel bars/restaurants (the hotels are the only places you can purchase alcohol in a social setting outside of Ramadan). You can purchase alcohol, for personnel consumption at your house, at a warehouse but this also stops at Ramadan.
I still have private parties at my house during Ramadan which alcohol is served as I have stockpile to last me through Ramadan. I also understand some hotels will still keep the mini fridge stocked with alcohol for your consumption in your room. However, you will not see alcohol sold in public and or consumed in public during Ramadan in Qatar.

My simple advice is just to wait until you are on the plane to get your drink-on.

I was under the impression that all public eating and drinking were prohibited in Qatar during Ramadan? If a lounge is a public area or not under Qatari law is up to someone else to determine.