Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Old May 27, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
In the new J lounge

Writing from HIA. There are temporary F and J lounges. Flying J to NBO but as QR Platinum was given access to the F side. Very little food options - small cold buffet and two hot plated dishes plus 2 soups available. No bar. All table service. No menus. Nice toilets and showers.

Moved to business class side. More airier. Buffet displayed inc. bar.

Staff are trying hard to make the move work.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Writing from HIA. There are temporary F and J lounges. Flying J to NBO but as QR Platinum was given access to the F side. Very little food options - small cold buffet and two hot plated dishes plus 2 soups available. No bar. All table service. No menus. Nice toilets and showers.

Moved to business class side. More airier. Buffet displayed inc. bar.

Staff are trying hard to make the move work.
Interesting arrangement, are those temporary lounges also open to Y status pax? And did you by any chance inquire if access to F lounge (with J-Ticket) was for Platinum only or also for gold members?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: BA, UA, AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just flew business class from IAD to DOH. Put the miles on my US Airways account (no status) and was told at IAD that I would not have lounge access ?! Travelling with a colleague who has status on Qatar so he invited me into the first class lounge in HIA - what a disappointment! The old business lounge was much bigger and better. This lounge is small, sterile, and sits directly under a HUGE billboard that is constantly changes lights - it's like sitting in Times Sq or Trafalgar Cir - so distracting. There is no option for self service drinks, you must order. The food buffet is small. The LH first lounge in FRA is night & day different (better). Even the FRA LH business lounges are better. I can't imagine what they were thinking ........
Old May 28, 2014, 10:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

That's disappointing to hear, but to be clear, you were flying IAD-DOH (return?) in Business class with QR? How can it be that they don't give a J-PAX lounge access?!
Old May 28, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by zehbra
That's disappointing to hear, but to be clear, you were flying IAD-DOH (return?) in Business class with QR? How can it be that they don't give a J-PAX lounge access?!
Yes, that's right, I'm flying IAD-DOH-COL-KTM-DOH-IAD all business class (although it's a restricted fare). I was given a letter at check-in at IAD saying "during this transition your lounge is temporarily unavailable... we would like to extend to you our unreserved apologies". Meanwhile, here in Doha, the first and business class lounges are most definitely open and being used... I'm confused! When I tried to enter the lounge they looked at my (business class) boarding card but focused on my US Air FF# and asked if it were a Gold or Plat account (it is not) - that is when my colleague invited me to join him in the lounge. Not sure they would have let me in on my own boarding card!
Old May 28, 2014, 11:58 am

Update: I was informed that the Business class lounge for travelers flying business class is not yet open. The lounge we had access to was the card holder status lounge (which i would assume would be nicer than the 'regular' business lounge). Apologies for sharing confusing or inaccurate information earlier but this explains why I was not allowed access to the lounges on my own.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bennoch
Update: I was informed that the Business class lounge for travelers flying business class is not yet open. The lounge we had access to was the card holder status lounge (which i would assume would be nicer than the 'regular' business lounge). Apologies for sharing confusing or inaccurate information earlier but this explains why I was not allowed access to the lounges on my own.
Thanks for the clarification. So status pax travelling in J can use the lounge AND get compensation because the real J lounge isn't ready yet?
Also, in Qatar's case i would guess the real Business and First class lounge will be much nicer than the card holder lounges..

Last edited by zehbra; May 28, 2014 at 12:50 pm Reason: added a missing word.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by Bennoch
The lounge we had access to was the card holder status lounge (which i would assume would be nicer than the 'regular' business lounge).
I assume the actual business class lounge will be significantly better than the one for status holders flying in economy. ^
Old May 28, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
This all sounds pretty lame.

Just to make sure I have this right, we've gone from a dedicated terminal and private car transfers for F pax, to being tossed in with the masses with no priority connections facilities and substandard lounges? Ouch!
Old May 28, 2014, 12:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmc1K
This all sounds pretty lame.

Just to make sure I have this right, we've gone from a dedicated terminal and private car transfers for F pax, to being tossed in with the masses with no priority connections facilities and substandard lounges? Ouch!
Well, there will be proper lounges again. I would also guess there will be some kind of priority connection/security screening area at some point. But I agree, opening while lounges are still under construction is somewhat poor (not to mention the huge delay..)
Old May 28, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
This is how I imagine HIA right now.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
My lounge experience today: None

Finally found the lounges and was told they they are full and I'm welcome to use the restaurants downstairs. Well done Al Baker. This was at 6:40am.

Icing on the cake is that will be another bus trip from the terminal to the aircraft. Gates C20-C29 bus transportation.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by The Finn

Finally found the lounges and was told they they are full and I'm welcome to use the restaurants downstairs. Well done Al Baker. This was at 6:40am.

Icing on the cake is that will be another bus trip from the terminal to the aircraft. Gates C20-C29 bus transportation.
Sorry for your bad experience. I don’t know why they rushed the move into the new airport when a lot of work has to be done. I thought that there will be 41 contact gates when the airport opens but as far as i can see only 30 or so are available, what about the other 10 when will they be ready? Also Albaker said that he doesn’t want to delay the move so that the A380 service starts on time (June 17 as officially released) but now even that is pushed back to July 1st. What’s going on there? No lounges, high probability to get bused to the aircraft (especially if the flight is operated by a narrow body).
Again why did they rush the move when they are not prepared at all????? Is it just for the IATA meeting next month????
Old May 28, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by The Finn

Did you check both the Oryx Lounge, Al Maha Lounge, and the Gold/Silver ones? All of them were full or just one of the above?
Old May 29, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by QatarA340
Did you check both the Oryx Lounge, Al Maha Lounge, and the Gold/Silver ones? All of them were full or just one of the above?
First went to Oryx, was told to use Silver. Went there and was told all full, use restaurant. That time blood pressure measurement was giving HI HI alarm so went for a walk instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.