Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

I booked a flight on QR to IAD earlier this week CAI -IAD via Doha

both outbound and inbound have layover of around 14 hours each. Also they both arrive in Doha around 6pm (give or take) and connecting flights leave Doha 8am and 9am respectively.

QR is only offering hotel on the way back, claiming that because they offered hotel on the way back they wont provide it on the way out!

They also claim because there is an earlier connection on the way out than what I have selected they can only offer hotel on one journey. Note that this earlier flight still has a layover of 10hours instead of 14.

Im booked in J with wife & child, so If I have to, Ill book a hotel on my expense. Either way, is this really the policy, or are they trying to save themselves a hotel night?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by sammy7
Either way, is this really the policy, or are they trying to save themselves a hotel night?
Having dealt with the STPC issues over the last handfull of years with QR, the policy to be summed up by these three main points:

- Incoherent.
- Confusing.
- Highly dependent on the whim of who you talk to, no matter what your ticket's fare basis says.

-A
commodities likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The policy as I understand it is based on the following points:

i) all passengers with a layover of 8:01-23:59 in either or both directions are eligible for either free STPC or paid STPC

ii) all passengers with a layover of 8:01-23:59 in either or both directions and who are not eligible for free STPC are eligible for paid STPC, which is charged at a supplement to the fare - it is not very much, just USD 100 or so per passenger each way but of course it does mean that those watching the pennies or travelling in large groups might just prefer to stay in the airport

iii) STPC is not really about the hotel, it's most important function is to provide a visa to people who do not hold a passport eligible for visa on arrival.

On some routes free STPC is never allowed, however these passengers can pay a supplement for paid STPC.

Furthermore, if there are a certain number of flights per week in the schedule offering connections with less than eight hours QR deems that a reasonable alternative exists and do not allow free STPC. This is the case even if the alternative flights with shorter connection times are more expensive or sold out at the time of purchase. Passengers on these routes can of course pay the supplement.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Glad to say, that after not getting much success with emails flying back and forth, one phone call , sorted out the issue.

I now have hotel stay booked on both outbound and inbound legs.

+1 for QR and go, go, go,....
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:38 am

Where did you call ?

Normally if you have earlier flight and you did not choose it because of price they are not forced to give you accomodation .

Because of a cancelled flight by qatar without notifying me i have to stay 14 hours in Doha and they refuse me stpc, transit visa, accommodation , meals, anything and i have no earlier flight.

Very confusing policy they have.

Do you have UAE passport?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tak30ver
Where did you call ?

Normally if you have earlier flight and you did not choose it because of price they are not forced to give you accomodation .

Because of a cancelled flight by qatar without notifying me i have to stay 14 hours in Doha and they refuse me stpc, transit visa, accommodation , meals, anything and i have no earlier flight.

Very confusing policy they have.

Do you have UAE passport?
I have UAE residency not passport, so I can get visa on arrival at Doha.

I called their Cairo office as that is where my ticket got issued from although I bought it online. Guess cause Im starting my Journey from CAI.

I suggest you call them by phone, you need to be very cool and pleasant. avoid sounding angry as that does not help.

Note that Im traveling in J so that makes it somewhat easier to get thm to say yes. Also there was an earlier flight, but even the earlier flight was with a 9 hour STPC, therefore they said yes cuz they would have had to offer me hotel either way.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 3:15 am

First thing was to call them and be nice and understandable. They said No. I asked Why?? they said not possible. After that for about 4-5 e-mails i couldn`t thank them enough still NO . Then i told them about my rights and forwarded me to Customer Care
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The policy as I understand it is based on the following points:

i) all passengers with a layover of 8:01-23:59 in either or both directions are eligible for either free STPC or paid STPC

If there is no immediate connecting flight on that day and booking is booked under booking class higher than E RBD, then STPC will be given free of charge. While promotional class such as V or W, the STPC will be given at the fee of USD125 per passenger. In case passenger is booked with flight longer than 8HRS but less than 23.59HRS while there is immediate booking class available, then passenger will not be entitled for free or paid STPC.

iii) STPC is not really about the hotel, it's most important function is to provide a visa to people who do not hold a passport eligible for visa on arrival.

STPC consists of accommodation, transferring visa, airport transfer and meal if available.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:06 am

Hi,

If booking class of H, am I entitled to STPC?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by tboons
Hi,

As i understand Alex in prev post, booking class H, as it is the class directly above the promo clases V and W, should be entiteled to paid STPC.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by tboons
Hi,

According to information I received from QR customer service a while back, the booking codes NOT available for STPC are X, I, V and W.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by Andain
According to information I received from QR customer service a while back, the booking codes NOT available for STPC are X, I, V and W.
As an exception to this purported rule I recently received a STPC being booked into I (an extremely cheap Promotional Business Class Fare). Received a written confirmation within minutes from Call Centre by e-mail.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Booking class I is eligible for STPC if all other criteria are met.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by nimenime
Booking class I is eligible for STPC if all other criteria are met.
I hope you are right. Will try.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I hope you are right. Will try.
I got STPC twice with I as my booking class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.