Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Al Mourjan is not intended for both Business and First class pax.
It is for business class passengers while Al Safwa lounge, which hasn't opened yet, is for the first class passengers.
Ah, ok. that makes more sense. And what about pax who fly OneWorld First and Business classes? will they get access to the Al Mourjan always? or it will end up being just for QR Business class passengers only?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Just a couple of issues with Al Mourjan:

1. The wifi is average at best. There is no dedicated lounge wifi, but instead the general free HIA one. The signal drops every 5 minutes or so, so you have to keep on logging back in. The speeds range from decent to painfully slow.

2. The restaurant is great, but the servers at breakfast are not proactive about offering the a la caret menu. At dinner they're better. Make sure to ask for it.

3. The layout is such that getting from one side of the lounge to the other is unnecessarily circuitous due to the center seating and water feature. Looks good but not functional.

4. The trolley service for drinks, in my opinion, is a failure. This means that nothing is chilled and you need to wait for an attendant. I much rather prefer a self-service option.

5. The various mini food stations throughout the lounge just don't make any sense to me. Larger, more extensive buffets would have been better. I also don't quite understand what the dining area on the main floor in the back is for. There is a very pathetic display of small salads and cold cuts. Such a big beautiful dining area wasted.

6. There is a big, beautiful bar in the restaurant upstairs. Would have been much better on the main floor.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Looking forward to seeing what Al Safwa offers, whenever that may be.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
For those who have been there, how does it compare with the old PT?
The lounge is mostly fine. But the problem is with the general premium experience, which is a downgrade from the previous setup.

1. When you get to the transfer security area there is little guidance for premium travelers. Only when you get very near the middle lane that has the tiny, inconspicuous signs saying that it's the premium security lane can you know where to go. I think most people who find it are flyertalk readers who are in the know. More than one post has reported that asking staff where the premium lane is only elicits shrugs.

2. Al Mourjan Lounge is just above this security zone. It seems like an opportunity was missed to create an exclusive premium security check that's more separated from the general security, followed by a special entrance to the lounge.

3. Long walks to the gate versus the quiet and tranquil ride just downstairs from the old lounges. I don't mind walks myself but for some this is a big deal. And often those walks are followed by a bus ride. And often those bus rides are of the economy class variety, not the comfy ones they send for business class.

4. Boarding gates are enclosed glass areas. For entering these you have premium lanes. But actual boarding (at least in my experience so far) has been a disorganized scrum through a narrow door.

Admittedly these are what you would call 'first world problems.' But for a brand new airport that's supposed to be the latest and greatest word in air travel, it's a bit of a disappointment.

About the Al Mourjan Lounge itself:

1. I used the business center. Staff were very helpful as I was trying to scan and print on an unfamiliar operating system.

2. Game centers look like lots of fun. One of the pinball machines was already on the fritz when I was there, though.

3. I didn't feel like trying any food, but it looked good. I sat at the bar. Some of the bartenders were good characters with entertaining banter. Selection of wines was adequate. As others have said I feel it could have been located better, with perhaps some view outside.

4. In the seating area I served myself from the trolleys and nobody seemed to mind. The trolley service just didn't come around often enough, only once in the hour or so I was sitting there.

5. At peak times it gets pretty full, but it always seems possible to find somewhere to sit. Perhaps when Al Safwa opens it will open up more space.

6. Overall it's very nice lounge. It's huge and goes on and on. It has a variety of seating and some couches or stretchout chairs if you get there early enough to grab one. I like the open air feeling like the CX Wing lounge in HKG. As others have said, it is a little on the warm side. But it's a relaxing place to wait or pass time. I'm looking forward to seeing Al Safwa. And I hope that the rest of the airport experience is improved over time.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: OWS, QR Gold, Kris, and a few others
Lounge Clarity and hotel options at Hamad International

I am QR Gold and flying business class early in October transiting Hamad for the second time this year. Previously there was only the temporary business lounge. Now it appears I have options that may include Oryx, Gold and Al Mourjan.

Which one should I use?

I have also heard about booking Al Mourjan services as part of my Gold status, but can't really figure out what this entails of whether it's free. QR website isn't very clear on this. Any ideas?

I have a 12 hour transit out and 5 hours back travelling business class. Is there a transit hotel option? If not what hotels would people recommend in Doha given that my morning flight departs at 0755?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: QR Gold
The hotel is free if you have a connection of 8hr+ as a minimum connection time, so if they offer a better connection you will not get the free hotel.

Not flown through the new terminal yet (October for me too) and the Al Mourjan service before was pointless in Y they would just greet you at the gate and take you to the lounge... (free)
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:59 am

cundall,

You are confusing Al Mourjan and Al Maha.

Al-Mourjan means 'coral' in Arabic and is the branding for the business class lounge.

Al-Maha means 'oryx' in Arabic and is the meet and greet service.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:01 am

In this thread I see some confusion between Al-Maha and Al-Mourjan. I answered this in another thread:

Al-Mourjan means 'coral' in Arabic and is the branding for the business class lounge.

Al-Maha means 'oryx' in Arabic and is the meet and greet service.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:08 am

Regarding bussing and walking distances:

- By December the North Node are should be fully open, this is where the the C, D and E gates meet, similar to the open area (south node) with the yellow teddy bear.

- The North Node will have additional lounges, a second 100-room hotel, and a large duty free area as well as additional F&B options. This means passengers flying out of the D and E gates as well as the furthest C gates can spend their time there prior to the flight so at boarding time the walking distances are shorter.

- The South Node and North Node have an automated people mover (train) in between, so if you are travelling from the D and E gates as well as the furthest C gates you can just take a quick train ride.

- Right now there are 33 contact gates (aero bridge), with about 1 in 4 flights using a bus. The use of busses is more common during the morning and late night peak connection banks. If you travel at other times your odds of getting a bus reduce especially mid day to early evening.

- By December 8 additional contact gates will open at the North Node.

- By 2017 the the amount of contact gates is planned to increase to 65.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1Rotate

- Right now there are 33 contact gates (aero bridge), with about 1 in 4 flights using a bus. The use of busses is more common during the morning and late night peak connection banks. If you travel at other times your odds of getting a bus reduce especially mid day to early evening.
Out of 8 flights to/from the new airport I have had a bus transfer for 7- very impressive odds if 1 in 4 flights use a bus! The odds/probability of that are not particularly likely. I think the bus usage seems to be much closer to 50% at the moment although I don't have the data to back this up.

Thank You for all the other information though.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Out of 8 flights to/from the new airport I have had a bus transfer for 7- very impressive odds if 1 in 4 flights use a bus! The odds/probability of that are not particularly likely. I think the bus usage seems to be much closer to 50% at the moment although I don't have the data to back this up.

Thank You for all the other information though.
My experience so far has been 1 out of 4 by bus
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:45 am

TRAVELSIG,

My ratio is accurate as of June 2014.

Your odds are probably to do with your travel patterns. For example for the morning departures 0700-0930 you are looking at around 40% of flights by bus, but if you depart on the 1200-1500 flights almost all the flights at that time are by contact gate. On average over a 24 hr period It works out round the ratio I gave you.

Also there are certain destinations and routing patterns are more likely to get a contact gate or bus, for example if you fly to the US you will be getting a contact gate pretty much all the time. Alternatively if you fly every week MCT-DOH-TUN-DOH-MCT then almost all your flights will be by bus and you will have the impression that most flights are like that. Other examples are TK's flights to IST, they tend always get the contact gate even when there are other QR flights departing at the same time by bus.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Would anyone know if the new Al Mourjan lounge has any nap/sleeping rooms or enclosed quiet areas? May have an extended layover that's too short for a transit hotel, but would like to catch a couple of hours of rest... Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by purple1addict
My experience so far has been 1 out of 4 by bus
Mine too!

Guess the general rule:

If your arriving/traveling on a narrow body jet at midnight rush hour, its always a bus baby!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Connected at HIA last week with a 5 hour layover. A big wow on the Lounge. Indeed, it just goes on and on. As justforfun noted, the biggest issue is the lack of dedicated lounge Wifi and the annoying need to log in every few minutes. Fortunately, my CMB flight departed from close in B2. Any idea when the FCL will open?
Lots of pics in my trip report
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by SFO777
Connected at HIA last week with a 5 hour layover. A big wow on the Lounge. Indeed, it just goes on and on. As justforfun noted, the biggest issue is the lack of dedicated lounge Wifi and the annoying need to log in every few minutes. Fortunately, my CMB flight departed from close in B2. Any idea when the FCL will open?
Lots of pics in my trip report
Hey SFO777 do you remember what's the champagne and alcohol offer in general? EK serves Moet&Chandon in their BC lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.