FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR Lounges at HIA
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:34 am
arabiamark

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
For those who have been there, how does it compare with the old PT?
The lounge is mostly fine. But the problem is with the general premium experience, which is a downgrade from the previous setup.

1. When you get to the transfer security area there is little guidance for premium travelers. Only when you get very near the middle lane that has the tiny, inconspicuous signs saying that it's the premium security lane can you know where to go. I think most people who find it are flyertalk readers who are in the know. More than one post has reported that asking staff where the premium lane is only elicits shrugs.

2. Al Mourjan Lounge is just above this security zone. It seems like an opportunity was missed to create an exclusive premium security check that's more separated from the general security, followed by a special entrance to the lounge.

3. Long walks to the gate versus the quiet and tranquil ride just downstairs from the old lounges. I don't mind walks myself but for some this is a big deal. And often those walks are followed by a bus ride. And often those bus rides are of the economy class variety, not the comfy ones they send for business class.

4. Boarding gates are enclosed glass areas. For entering these you have premium lanes. But actual boarding (at least in my experience so far) has been a disorganized scrum through a narrow door.

Admittedly these are what you would call 'first world problems.' But for a brand new airport that's supposed to be the latest and greatest word in air travel, it's a bit of a disappointment.

About the Al Mourjan Lounge itself:

1. I used the business center. Staff were very helpful as I was trying to scan and print on an unfamiliar operating system.

2. Game centers look like lots of fun. One of the pinball machines was already on the fritz when I was there, though.

3. I didn't feel like trying any food, but it looked good. I sat at the bar. Some of the bartenders were good characters with entertaining banter. Selection of wines was adequate. As others have said I feel it could have been located better, with perhaps some view outside.

4. In the seating area I served myself from the trolleys and nobody seemed to mind. The trolley service just didn't come around often enough, only once in the hour or so I was sitting there.

5. At peak times it gets pretty full, but it always seems possible to find somewhere to sit. Perhaps when Al Safwa opens it will open up more space.

6. Overall it's very nice lounge. It's huge and goes on and on. It has a variety of seating and some couches or stretchout chairs if you get there early enough to grab one. I like the open air feeling like the CX Wing lounge in HKG. As others have said, it is a little on the warm side. But it's a relaxing place to wait or pass time. I'm looking forward to seeing Al Safwa. And I hope that the rest of the airport experience is improved over time.