Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schwann
PLEASE NOTE: The below information is largely out of date as of 2023 and needs to be updated:

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges. The Departure Lounges at HIA include :

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - QR and OW First Class Passengers only
Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - QR and OW First and Business Class Passengers only
HIA First Class Lounge
HIA Business Class Lounge
Oryx Lounge
Al Maha lounge

Additionally, there is an arrivals lounge for those exiting the airport (either very long connection or if Doha is their final destination)

For information on which lounge to use, when travelling with QR, at other airports, please see here.

Which Departure Lounge can I use?

Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Arriving on a longhaul Qatar First class qualifies for lounge access even if connecting flight is not in F. Reports on the Lounge, can be found here(external link) and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here (external). Wiki for Al Safwa is here.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in F or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul F flight. Op-ups and guests are not admitted.

Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Lounge - The Lounge access is only for Qatar Airways and Oneworld First and Business Class passengers and is located on Level 3 of the airport. Information and photographs can be found here - here. A thread has recently been started specific to Al Mourjan - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ss-lounge.html. Existing posts in this thread about Al Mourjan will be moved there as time permits.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card for a flight departing in J or a boarding card for an incoming longhaul J flight.

HIA First Class Lounge - The First Class Lounge is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery. First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club Platinum and Oneworld alliance Emerald members may access this facility.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWE status for your departing flight.

HIA Business Class Lounge - This lounge, that caters for First or Business class ticketed passengers as well as QR Privilege Club, Platinum Gold and Silver members and oneworld alliance Emerald and Sapphire members, is located on Concourse A, Level 2 at the airport, and offers facilities which include complimentary high-speed Wi-Fi, shower facilities, conference rooms, smoking rooms, family rooms, a business centre and a nursery.
The absolute minimum requirement for access is a boarding card showing OWS status for your departing flight.

Oryx Lounge - May be used only by eligible customers when travelling on: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Royal Jordanian, SriLankan Airlines. Economy passengers will be able to gain access to the lounge for a fee of QAR 200 (USD 55).

Al Maha Lounge - Available to priority pass members. Located opposite the entrance to the Oryx Lounge.

Arrivals Lounge - There are essentially 2 - the first one is prior to immigration and has some snacks, drinks, and a seating area, as well as a dedicated immigration booth. The second (and main) one is just outside customs to the left, near the W.H. Smith store. This one has snacks, drinks, a menu to order from, showers, etc. Both arrivals lounges are for QR J passengers only, oneworld status alone will not get you into the lounge.

Opening Times
QR lounges are open 24 hours/day and serve no alcoholic beverages during Ramadan (27 May-25 June 2017 and 16 May-14 June 2018).

Luggage facilites
There are luggage boxes for hand luggage in Al Safwa, Al Mourjan, First Class and Business Class lounges.

Transit Options
Alternatives for long transits:
Print Wikipost

QR Lounges at HIA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by flyeramd
Hi,
Will be travelling JFK-DOH-AMD on 25th June in J with no status in QR. Will I be given lounge access at HIA and if yes then which one?
Thanks for asking this question. I have the same issue, my fiancee and I are travelling through HIA (though with a 1.5hr layover I don't see how I can even partake of the facilities...) are there any lounges catered for Business Class passengers who do not yet have status on QR or OW?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:47 am

Travelled thru HIA on 25th June flying J Class on QR silver from JFK to DOH to AMD. Was not given lounge access but a voucher of US $ 86 and 10000 mile credit.
Another point is that ditances are huge in HIA and if you have 2 distant gates......walk takes alot of time. Better to grt a voucher than access a lounge for about 30 mins max
No aerobridge facility for one flight. Lugged hand luggage up the ladder :
QR inflight service superb ^
Old Jun 26, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by flyeramd
Travelled thru HIA on 25th June flying J Class on QR silver from JFK to DOH to AMD. Was not given lounge access but a voucher of US $ 86 and 10000 mile credit.
Another point is that ditances are huge in HIA and if you have 2 distant gates......walk takes alot of time. Better to grt a voucher than access a lounge for about 30 mins max
No aerobridge facility for one flight. Lugged hand luggage up the ladder :
QR inflight service superb ^
Thanks for the update flyeramd!

For a short layover and if you are member of Qatar FFP is not a bad offer but in my case I would prefer lounge access.
I am flying through HIA in aprox 3 weeks and will report back.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Flew via HIA today...very nice airport.
Was granted lounge access due to QR status but the first side is absolutely shameful. Not a seat to be found, abysmal showers, small buffet. Had a quick shower and stood with my glass of Krug.

Finally gave up after not finding any empty seat, went to those temporary premium service counters (note there are a few around...no need to clutter at just one) got my QAR300 voucher and the promise of miles.

If those lounges are destined to be the new FF lounges, I hope they never get too crowded, as the facilities are woefully inadequate to cater to the crowds.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by freddo
Flew via HIA today...very nice airport.
Was granted lounge access due to QR status but the first side is absolutely shameful. Not a seat to be found, abysmal showers, small buffet. Had a quick shower and stood with my glass of Krug.

Finally gave up after not finding any empty seat, went to those temporary premium service counters (note there are a few around...no need to clutter at just one) got my QAR300 voucher and the promise of miles.

If those lounges are destined to be the new FF lounges, I hope they never get too crowded, as the facilities are woefully inadequate to cater to the crowds.
So just to clarify: You got lounge access (due to status) AND the voucher and miles afterwards? Wasn't it "if you use the lounge, no voucher"?
Will be in the same situation and since i'll only be at the airport for 2 hours, i'd rather have a voucher and qmiles; I can eat in the plane (and no drinks at the airport due to ramadan anyway).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: QF, EK, VA, Hyatt
Had a friend travel through Hamad in paid J (no status) earlier today on QR905. The check in agent at MEL stated he would receive the US$85 and 10k miles. Haven't heard from him to see what the new airport is like (or what he could have/did spend his $85 on).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:22 am

When the new lounges are fully operational? Will they be run full service 24/7? Or will service and foods be more limited in later hours of the night?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Originally Posted by zehbra
So just to clarify: You got lounge access (due to status) AND the voucher and miles afterwards? Wasn't it "if you use the lounge, no voucher"?
Will be in the same situation and since i'll only be at the airport for 2 hours, i'd rather have a voucher and qmiles; I can eat in the plane (and no drinks at the airport due to ramadan anyway).
Yes they let me in, but I complained since there was not even an empty chair available let alone a proper dining table.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by freddo
Yes they let me in, but I complained since there was not even an empty chair available let alone a proper dining table.
Ah so you got the compensation because the lounge was too full. That's good to know - I'm hoping the lounge will be too full then as well when I get there
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Looks like the ground staff need updating! I'm OWS and travelling DXB-DOH-LHR today in Y. Asked at DXB bag drop what the lounge situation was....got given lounge pass for DXB but for doh, an apology letter offering miles for a scheme I am not in and duty free vouchers I don't need...

But I rock up at the new HIA, try my luck at the Oryx lounge, get sent across to the other side and lo and behold here I am sipping champagne in the business class lounge. Suddenly my 4 hr layover doesn't look so bad...

I think the lounge is pretty good if this is a temporary? Beats AA and many others.

Last edited by nh1980; Jun 28, 2014 at 4:22 am
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: QF/OWE, PC Plat
Ive been through Doha many tome now, the old lounges and service were spot on (could not be buggered with duty free these days!). Came though HIA on BAH/HIA/LHR (F/J)
Last week was all ok but the transit time was tight so didn't get the joy of the lounges (��)
I have LHR/HIA/SIN (J) next weekend with two hours layover so here is hoping they have got their act together.

I find it hard to believe they cant take a well run lounge system at the old airport and replicate, delays not withstanding, it must have been part of the original plans!!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Qatar, Qantas club, Enrich, Skywards
Are Qatar for real with this policy at the new airport?

I have just checked out the new Doha website at

http://dohahamadairport.com/airport-...ium-travellers

And note the comment below relating to Business class passengers. I know that mention of this has been made previously, but wonder if Qatar are serious about this policy and if not, they really do need to update their NEW website. We make silver travelling in J then fall back to burgundy before our next flight so shall never actually fly as silver in J.

Quote:
"Business Class passengers may choose to enjoy the hospitality of our Oryx Lounge (QR 40 per passenger), or if you’re a Qatar Airways frequent flyer, you can relax in the Gold Lounge or Silver Lounge depending on your membership tier. Please ask at an information desk, or use our airport map to find your way. - See more at: http://dohahamadairport.com/airport-guide/traveller-guide/premium-travellers#sthash.3Nnn7o0i.dpuf"
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
This is where I think the lounges are at :

OWE and OWS from other/all FF programs get lounges.
QR Plat and QR Gold get the same lounges.
This is regardless of of what Airline you are flying and what class you are travelling in - these are Oneworld rules.

In addition, there is the Onyx Lounge, who will take anybody (as long as there is room) who offers up the $40 dollars.

Now, to low/non status QR pax.
The equivalent to the Premium Terminal (ie QR's own lounges, for it's own Premium Pax) are not ready yet.
This means that if you are "joe citizen, QR Burgundy, QR Silver", flying in J or F, you do not have lounge access ......yet.
You will be offered Vouchers and Miles.

My thoughts are, that some of the ^ comments flowing through for the current operational lounges, gives hope that QR's own lounges, (when they finally open), will be something really special.

Come on QR - I'm coming through on the 5th and 14th. It's a annual vacation and I won't get another shot until July 2015.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by aussienanna
I have just checked out the new Doha website at

http://dohahamadairport.com/airport-...ium-travellers

And note the comment below relating to Business class passengers. I know that mention of this has been made previously, but wonder if Qatar are serious about this policy and if not, they really do need to update their NEW website. We make silver travelling in J then fall back to burgundy before our next flight so shall never actually fly as silver in J.

Quote:
"Business Class passengers may choose to enjoy the hospitality of our Oryx Lounge (QR 40 per passenger), or if you’re a Qatar Airways frequent flyer, you can relax in the Gold Lounge or Silver Lounge depending on your membership tier. Please ask at an information desk, or use our airport map to find your way. - See more at: http://dohahamadairport.com/airport-guide/traveller-guide/premium-travellers#sthash.3Nnn7o0i.dpuf"
Thanks aussienanna,

it is really a bad joke that non elite pax traveling in J do not get lounge access. If I had known this I would have never booked with Qatar airways.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
In a lounge at HIA at the moment. The entrance says "business class lounge", not very busy at the moment. Spoke to the attendant in the toilets, no really, he said the "big lounge" is opening later this week. I'll report back on Thursday when I'm next here. The person at the entry to the lounge also said that there is a quiet area for premium passengers, that includes reclining chairs with mattresses for people wanting a nap. Given their reluctance to offer a transit hotel, despite my >8hr layover, I may also report on this.

Internet very slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.