Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Denied SPTC

Long story but requested via email a week before flight. 08:15 layover in Doha transit to LA (from BKK). Sent secodn email after no reply, 36 hrs before flight. Got a reply four hours before flight saying this -

Dear Mr. GLOBALENTRY57,

We appreciate the time you have taken in writing to us.

Please allow us to clarify that Qatar Airways offer a convenient transit hotel accommodation for customers who face extended transit times in Doha en route to their final destination (Stop over for the purpose of connection / STPC). This service is available on a paid or complimentary basis depending on eligibility.

You may be eligible for transit hotel accommodation in Doha, if you meet the following criteria:

a. Are travelling with Qatar Airways

b. There are no Qatar Airways flights with immediate connection (for the required date of travel date of travel irrespective of fare level or availability.

c. You have a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours at Doha International Airport

d. The type and level of airfare that you pay will govern whether you will receive the service free of charge (complimentary) or if you must pay to receive this service.

e. This service must be arranged through one of our reservations offices prior to the date of travel.

Further details of transit hotel accommodation in Doha can be found by accessing the link below.

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Based from your ticket and booking record, complimentary STPC is not permitted due to the availability of immediate flight connection.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify this matter and looking forward to be of service to you again.

Respectfully Yours,

I meet all the conditions and am taking the next available flight. There is no earlier flight to LAX. Once per day, I'm on it. R bucket biz class seat.

So i go to BKK - they say cannot book SPTC from there. That I'm perhaps not entitled. I show them proof of my request. They say they can't do anything. I push. They call DOH customer service (not open to customer calls weekends). DOH says need 12 hours layover, clearly not the SPTC policy. I request an upgrade to F in lieu of SPTC. No dice. THey suggest the lounge. I suggest they resolve. Unfortunately their resolution is to let the lounge in DOH know that I'll be turning up requesting SPTC in line with QR TOC and to expect an explanation. Likelihood, best case, significantly less sleep in DOH, which might not have been much if I was being accomodated outside the airport anyway.

Have emailed, and tweeted (QR Twitter doesnt do customer service unfortunately, but DM and tweeted publicly about issues).

Will report back. BTW, I'm OW Emerald. Flight was really cheap (under 1500 RT) but terms are terms.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:52 am

Was there a later flight from BKK that would connect with the LAX flight with a shorter connection? It's the shortest possible connection on your routing being over 8 hours that counts. If a shorter connection in DOH is on the timetable but you didn't book it, then your journey does not meet the conditions for stpc.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: QR Platinum, IHG Diamond, GHA Titanium
I think QR is right to deny your request for complimentary STPC. There is a flight that leaves BKK at 0135Hrs that would connect to LAX with a 3h layover, therefore you did not satisfy the criteria they have listed in the email.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:40 am

globalentry57 welcome to the QR forum.
Johnnieboy has answered your question but there is still a possible reason for granting STPC. If the shorter connection is also over eight hours and the cabib class is sold out then you may, not will, be granted STPC. Note it is cabin class not ticket class.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:00 am

Just successfully sorted out STPC for HEL-DOH-SGN travelling in J. Nice and easy. Just waiting on the email confirmation (didn't say when or what hotel, but that's fine).
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Just successfully sorted out STPC for HEL-DOH-SGN travelling in J. Nice and easy. Just waiting on the email confirmation (didn't say when or what hotel, but that's fine).
E-mail only took 15 minutes to arrive, confirmed for Melia Hotel Doha. Most likely use it as a base for the evening and see a few sites before heading back to the airport for our 2am flight.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:08 am

For those who aren't fluent in QR soup of booking codes — is R "higher" than N?

I'm looking at ~9.5h layover connecting from AKL to CPH and not sure if it qualifies for free STPC or not (as far as I can tell it fulfils all the other criteria:

QR921 on NOV4 connecting to
QR159

there doesn't seem to be any other shorter connection available.)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by klausa
For those who aren't fluent in QR soup of booking codes — is R "higher" than N?

I'm looking at ~9.5h layover connecting from AKL to CPH and not sure if it qualifies for free STPC or not (as far as I can tell it fulfils all the other criteria:

QR159

klausa welcome to the QR forum.
The itinerary you quote for Nov. 4 qualifies for STPC.

Booking Class R is the lowest J booking class. You can see a list of ticket classes that give Qmiles at http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...alculator.page. This list is in descending order so you will be able to see that ticket classes T, O, W and G are all below N.
Booking classes Q and S are the same level as N. Any booking class above these qualifies for STPC.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by remdk
klausa welcome to the QR forum.
The itinerary you quote for Nov. 4 qualifies for STPC.

Booking Class R is the lowest J booking class. You can see a list of ticket classes that give Qmiles at http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...alculator.page. This list is in descending order so you will be able to see that ticket classes T, O, W and G are all below N.
Booking classes Q and S are the same level as N. Any booking class above these qualifies for STPC.
Awesome!

Do I need to call my local QR office or is there an email address I could use?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:52 am

Awesome!

Do I need to call my local QR office or is there an email address I could use?
Easiest just to call your local office during opening hours.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
STPC with Separate Tickets?

Due to a quirk in the way some of my tickets are booked by my TA I may be flying PHL-DOH-GOI in coach with each leg on a separate ticket. It's a ~14 hour stopover at DOH, and there's only 1 flight per day PHL-DOH and DOH-GOI so no issues with shorter alternate connections. The fare will also be over the price minimum.

Is STPC allowed on separate tickets in situations like mine?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:34 pm

PHLGovFlyer welcome to the QR forum.

If you have a ticket PHL-DOH-GOI on one reservation then STPC is permissable. If you had two reservations PHL-DOH and DOH-GOI then since DOH is the final destination of the PHL-DOH reservation then you do not qualify for STPC.

If you will give the flights per reservation together with the booking classes then a definite answer can be given.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

QR159

I'm also looking at this itinerary. I see there is another option for flight QR163 which gives a 17 hour layover. Can I get the STPC with this since the shortest option is still qualifying?

The 10 hour layover (arr 2200 dep 0800) basically means just going to a hotel and back to the airport.

The longer layover (arr 2200 dep 1500) would give me about 4 hours in the morning to have a look around Doha. If QR wouldn't pay for my hotel, is spending 4 hours around Doha worth paying for one myself (I could use 20000 IHG points for the Holiday Inn, or some points for the Hilton)? I ordinarily wouldn't be willing to pay the visa fee to enter Qatar, but I just learned about the free transit visa so thought it might be worth a go
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:35 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by globalentry57

Will report back. BTW, I'm OW Emerald. Flight was really cheap (under 1500 RT) but terms are terms.
What was your outcome?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:46 pm

! if the cabin class of QR159 is sold out then there is a chance that STPC may be granted for QR163 at the discretion of the agent. This used to be fairly frequent but has become more difficult to obtain recently. Some have suggested that the practice has stopped altogether. So unless you get a helpful agent on a good day then no it cannot be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.