Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:49 pm

I have a 20 hour connection. The prior flight would have been an exactly 45 minute connection. That makes me ineligible, right?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:44 pm

mileshound 45 minutes is the absolute Minimum Connection Time and thus is a shorter connection. So no STPC for you I am afraid. You may find the 'About DOH airport' widget on the dashboard a source of useful information about your transit.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:16 am

Hello, what are the hotel offered for business traveller ?
Thank you
Regards
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by diego454
Hello, what are the hotel offered for business traveller ?
Thank you
Regards
Oryx, the in-airport hotel or Melia seem to be common hotels offered.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 12:42 pm

I talked to QR about an SPTC and believe I got some bad info. a few days ago.

I am flying CAI-DOH on QR1302 7:20P-11:25P on 4/30 (Sunday) and then connecting DOH-IAH on QR713 8:05A - 4:10p on 4/31 (Monday). The lady said I did not qualify for STPC since there is QR1306 from CAI that leaves on Sunday at 1:20a - 5:25a and connects the same day ( Sunday) to the IAH flight. Does this sound correct ?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by anc305
I talked to QR about an SPTC and believe I got some bad info. a few days ago.

I am flying CAI-DOH on QR1302 7:20P-11:25P on 4/30 (Sunday) and then connecting DOH-IAH on QR713 8:05A - 4:10p on 4/31 (Monday). The lady said I did not qualify for STPC since there is QR1306 from CAI that leaves on Sunday at 1:20a - 5:25a and connects the same day ( Sunday) to the IAH flight. Does this sound correct ?
anc305 welcome to the QR forum.
Yes I think it is correct because it is a shorter connection.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
anc305 welcome to the QR forum.
Yes I think it is correct because it is a shorter connection.
remdk

Thanks for the response.

I guess it follows the same day shortest connection rule ? This does not seem logical to me. There is no earlier flight to IAH if I leave on the 0720pm flight. Leaving at 0120am is in effect leaving on Saturday for business purposes. I thought the SPTC was predicated on when you arrive DOH and that you must take the next available flight. If that flight leaves 8-24 hours later you are entitled to STPC.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by anc305
remdk

Thanks for the response.

I guess it follows the same day shortest connection rule ? This does not seem logical to me. There is no earlier flight to IAH if I leave on the 0720pm flight. Leaving at 0120am is in effect leaving on Saturday for business purposes. I thought the SPTC was predicated on when you arrive DOH and that you must take the next available flight. If that flight leaves 8-24 hours later you are entitled to STPC.
No, that's incorrect. It has always been the case that if there is a shorter connection available (scheduled) on the day you travel then that means no STPC. The fact you booked a later flight that has a longer connection as a result has always resulted in no STPC.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 1:56 am

Some months ago, as reported here on this thread, QR dropped the same day clause. this is due to the many 24 hours between flights on most very long haul routes. In this case taking an earlier flight to arrive 24 hours earlier must be seen as a shorter connection.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:10 am

Travelling to MAN to AKL in May.
On the inbound flight we are eligible for STPC. Found out by accident. I dm'd QA on there FB page asking for ideas on what do for an eight hour hour layover . There response was pretty quick informing us we were eligible for STPC. We've been given the Movenpick hotel, was a pretty painless process,sorted really quickly via dm and then they emailed the voucher.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:02 pm

I think I understand the rules but one technical clarification on the wording. When the rules say earlier flight is "available" I assume this means "exists". I booked an award ticket and have a 20 hr layover. An earlier flight with < 8 hrs "exists" but was not "available" for points.

My understanding is that no free STPC in this case. Correct?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:52 pm

I think I understand the rules but one technical clarification on the wording. When the rules say earlier flight is "available" I assume this means "exists". I booked an award ticket and have a 20 hr layover. An earlier flight with < 8 hrs "exists" but was not "available" for points.

My understanding is that no free STPC in this case. Correct?

Thanks
mileshound that is correct. If there is an earlier flight from origin that connects to the previous days onward flight then no STPC. BUT you also need to look to see if a later connection wil connect to your original second flight. If the earlier flight is daily then you also have a later flight that connects. It need not be the same day!

It does not matter that your ticket class is sold out. Just the fact that your cabin class is present is enough.

However a reward flight does not qualify for free STPC! The ticketing class of reward flights is below class N no matter which cabin class.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:16 am

kmcf6 welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the QR forum. You may find the dashboard a useful tool when browsing the forum.

We are many here that have been extremely critical of QR for the way it treated its customers, especially CS. Over the last few months we have seen signs of a marked improvement. You have just experienced the 'NEW' service quality. Please do not expect that level of service every time but they are improving.

A number of members of this forum have watched QR for several years and we are heartened to see such, at times impressive, improvements.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
CS in general

Originally Posted by remdk
kmcf6 welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the QR forum. You may find the dashboard a useful tool when browsing the forum.

We are many here that have been extremely critical of QR for the way it treated its customers, especially CS. Over the last few months we have seen signs of a marked improvement. You have just experienced the 'NEW' service quality. Please do not expect that level of service every time but they are improving.

A number of members of this forum have watched QR for several years and we are heartened to see such, at times impressive, improvements.
Hi,
I am new here but not new at QR ;-)
But in concern to CS I would say, I didnīt feel any improvement - this seems for me, to be an absolute exception from the daily CS business....but the hope dies at last ;-)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:31 am

Traveller999 welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the QR forum.

I agree with you that CS, in general, is worse than bad! But it is showing signs of improvement. I want to praise and encourage those who are making efforts to improve service levels to the customer. In this manner those CS staff who make an effort will feel that their efforts are appreciated and try even harder. It may also encourage others to follow their example. Were we to continue in the CS is very bad and there is no change then those who make the effort will become disheartened and go back the the \old\ ways because they feel their efforts are not appreciated.
I know that not many CS staff have even heard of Flyertalk let alone read it but they will usually get to hear of positive mention. Maybe we members of this forum should be a little more generous with our thanks, and praise, to CS staff when they do a good job for us.

This is way off topic and before the moderators start to intervene I say that this discussion stops here. If you or others wish to continue it PM me and I will start a new thread and request the Moderators to move the relevant posts to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.