Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Per the OW site it's The Club in Intl Terminal. You can of course use the Admirals Club which is at the other end of the airport in the North Terminal. Neither seems particularly good
Thank you. The Club didnt even come up for me on the ATL site. Not looking for anything fancy, just somewhere to kill a couple hours before boarding.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 1:41 pm

Question YUL - DOH (2 day stopover) - SIN

Hi FT, per the title we are flying from Montreal to Singapore through Doha with a 2 night stopover in Doha.

YUL - DOH: 10:25pm departure | 5pm arrival (+1 day)

We are then spending 2 nights in Doha, on a stopover, and going onward to Singapore.

DOH - SIN: 8pm departure | 9am arrival (+1 day)

I am considering shortening or canceling this stopover to avoid "double jetlag" - worried that we will just start to get accustomed to the time in Qatar and then go back to square one again in Singapore. Has anyone experienced a similar itinerary? Is there a chance that the stopover could help acclimate part way to the jet lag in Singapore or is the distance too great?

Appreciate any help and shared experiences. (Note: my wife and I are traveling alone, we are in our early 30's and flying business class - we'd love to spend some time in Doha, but ultimately don't want 4+ days of jetlag before we start to get used to our new time zone for a few weeks). Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2023, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by adamwolf13
Hi FT, per the title we are flying from Montreal to Singapore through Doha with a 2 night stopover in Doha.

YUL - DOH: 10:25pm departure | 5pm arrival (+1 day)

We are then spending 2 nights in Doha, on a stopover, and going onward to Singapore.

DOH - SIN: 8pm departure | 9am arrival (+1 day)

I am considering shortening or canceling this stopover to avoid "double jetlag" - worried that we will just start to get accustomed to the time in Qatar and then go back to square one again in Singapore. Has anyone experienced a similar itinerary? Is there a chance that the stopover could help acclimate part way to the jet lag in Singapore or is the distance too great?

Appreciate any help and shared experiences. (Note: my wife and I are traveling alone, we are in our early 30's and flying business class - we'd love to spend some time in Doha, but ultimately don't want 4+ days of jetlag before we start to get used to our new time zone for a few weeks). Thanks!
YUL - DOH is a 7 hour time difference
YUL - SIN is a 12 hour time difference

I can't imagine that 12 hours won't have some impact for several days whichever way you do it, and for many flying east is often thought to be worse for jetlag than flying west.

If I were you, I would take the trip I wanted to take and manage the jetlag (eg. take a nap by the pool) if, as and when it occurs. Certainly the DOH stop may help to reduce the number of days you feel out of sync once you arrive in SIN, even if only because you got out of the YUL time and closer to SIN time 2 days sooner. But jetlag is a personal thing and can vary from trip to trip.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:58 am

Hi all, I had 2 flights booked back in 2020-21 and was subject to the Covid policy at the time. The flights could not be taken and in lieu of rebooking dates or a refund the ticket value remained unused. I have since tried to get Qatar to extend the validity of the ticket back in Oct 2022 but the CS rep was not very helpful. Any chance to get any value of the unused booking? Flights were around $1600 x 2 pax.

Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2023, 12:05 pm

Hi

Didnt get any replies in Outstation Lounge thread so thought I would try again here.

My wife and I will be flying out of AMS to CPT (J first-timers with no status) in a couple of weeks and I understand the AMS lounge usually used by QR was closed for refurbishment. Any idea whether thIs work is still ongoing and if so what the alternatives are?

Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ian Robertson
Hi

Didnt get any replies in Outstation Lounge thread so thought I would try again here.

My wife and I will be flying out of AMS to CPT (J first-timers with no status) in a couple of weeks and I understand the AMS lounge usually used by QR was closed for refurbishment. Any idea whether thIs work is still ongoing and if so what the alternatives are?

Thanks.
Yes the lounge QR normally use at AMS (Aspire) is currently closed, I believe until end of Nov. There aren't any dedicated oneworld airline lounges at AMS since BA closed theirs. Two temporary lounges have been set up in cafes elsewhere in the airport for airlines that would normally use Aspire. The oneworld website indicates Cafe Flor for certain of those airlines, and there is some discussion about that over on the BA forum. But I believe QR are using the one in Frames Café (located in Lounge 2 on the first floor between Starbucks and the Meditation Centre), along with the likes of Emirates. Here's a link to a post from the BA thread with a photo confirming who goes where:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35396667-post209.html

I think the general consensus is not to get too excited...
Old Sep 22, 2023, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by guy_listening1
Hi all, I had 2 flights booked back in 2020-21 and was subject to the Covid policy at the time. The flights could not be taken and in lieu of rebooking dates or a refund the ticket value remained unused. I have since tried to get Qatar to extend the validity of the ticket back in Oct 2022 but the CS rep was not very helpful. Any chance to get any value of the unused booking? Flights were around $1600 x 2 pax.

Thanks
Tickets are usually only valid for one year, but I believe validity was temporarily extended to two years during covid.

But you are outside of even that period now so I suspect your only recourse would be to try to push them for a refund. I wouldn't like to say if they will.give you one now after all this time, but I would suggest trying to contact them using the complaint feedback link here:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-th/help.html#feedback

Specify the dates everything happened (booking, cancellations, extensions, ticket expiry etc) and ask them if they can issue a cash refund now. Or if not a voucher instead. After all this time I suspect this could only be handled by the back office now so calling reservations etc is probably a waste of time.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by KingCanute
Yes the lounge QR normally use at AMS (Aspire) is currently closed, I believe until end of Nov. There aren't any dedicated oneworld airline lounges at AMS since BA closed theirs. Two temporary lounges have been set up in cafes elsewhere in the airport for airlines that would normally use Aspire. The oneworld website indicates Cafe Flor for certain of those airlines, and there is some discussion about that over on the BA forum. But I believe QR are using the one in Frames Café (located in Lounge 2 on the first floor between Starbucks and the Meditation Centre), along with the likes of Emirates. Here's a link to a post from the BA thread with a photo confirming who goes where:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35396667-post209.html

I think the general consensus is not to get too excited...
Thanks, i'll keep my expectations low.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:18 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ANA Gold, WY Sinbad Gold
I have an upcoming flight from JFK to DEL coming up in QR Y and was confused about the extra baggage rules for QR Gold/OWS members. Would I be granted an extra piece of check in luggage or an additional 15KG that would have to be distributed within my allowed 2 check in bags. Cheers!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by junoooon
I have an upcoming flight from JFK to DEL coming up in QR Y and was confused about the extra baggage rules for QR Gold/OWS members. Would I be granted an extra piece of check in luggage or an additional 15KG that would have to be distributed within my allowed 2 check in bags. Cheers!
Extra piece on piece concept routes such as flights to/from the USA.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ANA Gold, WY Sinbad Gold
Perfect, thank you for letting me know. Would also like to know what QR considers a personal item, would something such as a weekender bag count as one or would that slot into a carry on category? Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2023, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by junoooon
Perfect, thank you for letting me know. Would also like to know what QR considers a personal item, would something such as a weekender bag count as one or would that slot into a carry on category? Thanks
The following hand baggage guidance may be useful:

"Economy Class passengers can carry one piece of baggage, not to exceed 7kg (15lb)

You can also carry personal items such as one ladys handbag or one small briefcase; one coat, cape or blanket; one umbrella; one pair of crutches or a walking stick; one small camera or binoculars; limited reading material; an infants carrying basket; duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight"

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/allowance.html
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Gold
Qcredits

Hi, to able to use the qcredits for upg, they need to have 'basic' not the 2*avios inventory? If yes, will be difficult to use it.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by ruedela
Hi, to able to use the qcredits for upg, they need to have 'basic' not the 2*avios inventory? If yes, will be difficult to use it.
Yes, x1 inventory. And also yes, currently x1 is very scarce
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: QR Plat
For the lack of a better place to put it I'll add it here.

I recently spent a night at the Oryx hotel in the terminal. Apart for the usual prices, I noticed on the check-in form they make you sign there is multiple tick boxes. One of them is "Opt out of email address sharing". Now, that made me think, because after I stayed here last time one of my email accounts that I use for this kind of stuff started to get flooded with real estate spam for the region. That's more than a coincidence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.