Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:54 am

Recently signed up for executive club here in the UK, have an error

I’m trying to see how many avios it’ll take for me to travel to certain places. When i do this for places like france or greece, it works fine, but when I do it for places like Dubai or Abu Dhabi, or Qatar, it says “Sorry there is a problem with booking this journey online. Try selecting other flights”.
Any help pls thanks.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Hi all, does anyone know if DOH-KUL will ever be Qsuites? I've checked most days in June but still the old business class. I've heard mixed reviews ... some people say the seat's lumpy and not fully flat, others don't mind it.
If it is the 77W J seat, then it is indeed fully flat. By now somewhat outdated, but not too bad. Pick a bulkhead row, or the middle block, and no one will disturb you or you will need to disturb to get in and out of the seat.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi all, does anyone know if DOH-KUL will ever be Qsuites? I've checked most days in June but still the old business class. I've heard mixed reviews ... some people say the seat's lumpy and not fully flat, others don't mind it.
Unless the dispute between Qatar and Airbus is resolved any time soon, there are too many A350s with flaky paint currently out of service, and many of these are QSuites equipped. So Qatar will focus QSuites typically on their really premium routes (so more chance on SIN rather than KUL) and they continue have little operational flexibility and end up swapping aircraft around regularly.
​​​​​​
First rule of Qatar - never book a flight with an expectation to fly a specific aircraft type.

Assuming it's not one of the really old A330s, Qatar's business class hard product is generally recognised as going from good to excellent. Even the old 777 2-2-2 layout is noted by some on here as being great despite a lack of privacy. Sure, some individuals might have had a poor experience and a defective seat, but it's not common place.

I would suggest that provided you set your expectations appropriately (ie. Don't expect QSuites) and have a glass have full approach to the experience most people walk out of a QR business cabin happy, and wonder why the rest of the airline industry isn't doing the same on board service as Qatar.

Have a good flight.
SamirD and KelevraMenardi like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks both for the tips. Any advice on what flight to book (LHR-DOH-KUL). I'd like to pay for the First lounge in DOH but I gather it's subject to availability? Any times which are less busy?

I've heard their can be queues to enter the lounges, at least pre-pandemic, is that still the case? Nonstop Dan says peak times are midnight to 6am making the business lounge unusable.

Do I get a free transit hotel if my transit time is over a certain hours?

BTW, how can I book First LHR-DOH, the business to KUL using Avios? How can I easily check availability without clicking through every day of the year?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by GodAtum; Jan 7, 2023 at 8:25 am
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I have flown it a few times and quite enjoyed it as it offers exceptional space
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks both for the tips. Any advice on what flight to book (LHR-DOH-KUL). I'd like to pay for the First lounge in DOH but I gather it's subject to availability? Any times which are less busy?

I've heard their can be queues to enter the lounges, at least pre-pandemic, is that still the case? Nonstop Dan says peak times are midnight to 6am making the business lounge unusable.

Do I get a free transit hotel if my transit time is over a certain hours?

BTW, how can I book First LHR-DOH, the business to KUL using Avios? How can I easily check availability without clicking through every day of the year?
Nonstop Dan isn't quite right, peak hours for lounges are roughly 2300 to 0200 and 0500 to 0800 ISH. From 0200-0500 there will be a bunch of people 'enjoying' a 6-8 HR layover but it's not busy, beyond 8am it's pretty quiet.

Free transit hotels as part of the STPC or cheap ones as part of +Qatar are still suspended, no rumours yet of when or if that might return. I suspect there will be something like +Qatar to encourage stopovers but no clue when or what.

Will let others talk to their experience of redemption chasing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:30 am
pjs

7 Hour non-weather delay

We flew biz booked with AA miles from ORD-DOH-NBO on 12/31-1/1. Our ORD-DOH flight was delayed taking off about 2 hours simply due to the general incompetence of contract staff and baggage loaders at ORD. Plane was there on time and QR crew was ready to go. Because of the delay we just missed our connection at DOH and had to take the 1:45am flight to NBO on A330. We missed a night in our Nairobi hotel (2 rooms booked with Marriott points). Is it worth reaching out for any compensation from QR or just be happy we got to our destination and had some extra lounge time in DOH?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:48 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by plunet
Nonstop Dan isn't quite right, peak hours for lounges are roughly 2300 to 0200 and 0500 to 0800 ISH. From 0200-0500 there will be a bunch of people 'enjoying' a 6-8 HR layover but it's not busy, beyond 8am it's pretty quiet.

Free transit hotels as part of the STPC or cheap ones as part of +Qatar are still suspended, no rumours yet of when or if that might return. I suspect there will be something like +Qatar to encourage stopovers but no clue when or what.

Will let others talk to their experience of redemption chasing.
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking to book a connection, arriving at 1705, leaving 1935. Do you think I would have a chance of paying for the First lounge?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:19 am

I fly qatar few times of the year but short of 13 Q Miles for the next status. I realize I never claimed my family members points. If I claim, do they appear on my account as well as we're a family or everyone has their own account
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 1:21 pm
formerly JackDann

Flying a 787-8 on Wednesday - Row 1 is currently blocked.

I booked the weird row 6 seats and have had second thoughts - will row 1 open up at all?

Am OWE if that helps.

Also - Second flight now displays “Please select your seat at check in” any idea why that could be?
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by JD1905; Jan 9, 2023 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JD1905
Flying a 787-8 on Wednesday - Row 1 is currently blocked.

I booked the weird row 6 seats and have had second thoughts - will row 1 open up at all?

Am OWE if that helps.

Also - Second flight now displays “Please select your seat at check in” any idea why that could be?
1A and 1K are typically blocked for airport control or passengers with infants. E and F are not blocked, so if not available they are likely taken. 6 E/F should really be avoided if possible.

In terms of OWE, it does not really help in J.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:29 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
1A and 1K are typically blocked for airport control or passengers with infants. E and F are not blocked, so if not available they are likely taken. 6 E/F should really be avoided if possible.

In terms of OWE, it does not really help in J.
Thanks - Looks like i’ve made a bit of a mistake by selecting row 6 then. All of row 1 is showing as blocked on Expert Flyer - but I guess that may mean nothing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JD1905
Thanks - Looks like i’ve made a bit of a mistake by selecting row 6 then. All of row 1 is showing as blocked on Expert Flyer - but I guess that may mean nothing.
If the middle seats of row 1 are blocked on EF, they will be available at under airport control, but not OLCI. Come to the airport early if your first flight is with QR.
SamirD and JD1905 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:02 pm
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If the middle seats of row 1 are blocked on EF, they will be available at under airport control, but not OLCI. Come to the airport early if your first flight is with QR.
Thanks, will do! Daytime flight so proximity to the galley doesn’t bother me, but having a look at row 6 I think the lack of natural light back there makes it unappealing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: EuroBonus
I tried Google with no real success.

Do I need to pay full avois price for infants? I want to book award seats with two adults and two infants (under 2 yrs). Cant find out how much it would be in avois.
One way CPH-DOH-BKK is 75 000 avios for an adult at least.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.