Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:49 am

Ants1 Once you board the aircraft a few high status passengers are greeted personally by the CSM otherwise everyone is treated equally, to a very high standard, no matter which ticket class you have. Wifi on certain routes may still be chargeable but otherwise I have never had to pay for anything, or tip, onboard in seven years flying with QR. Note that Pyjamas are not available on all flights. See the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post27191309 for further details. With regard to meals and alcohol then the only limit is demand and the quantity onboard.

The same is true of Al Mourjan. Tipping a lounge waiter a couple of dollars is to be an exception rather than a rule. It will be appreciated but it appears to be frowned upon by management.

If there are differences in service on different aircraft types it will be due to the differences in cabin layout but they will be barely noticeable.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:26 pm

Hi all, this is my first time posting and will be my first time flying QR in J. We will have a long layover in Doha (close to 9 hours) before our connecting flight to Male, what are the chances of being allowed into the first lounge to use one of the day rooms if available? If not is there a quiet area in the business lounge we could get our heads down for a couple of hours?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Paul Foreman
Hi all, this is my first time posting and will be my first time flying QR in J. We will have a long layover in Doha (close to 9 hours) before our connecting flight to Male, what are the chances of being allowed into the first lounge to use one of the day rooms if available? If not is there a quiet area in the business lounge we could get our heads down for a couple of hours?
Hi Paul & a warm welcome to the QR FlyerTalk forum!

Sorry to start off on a downer, but there's absolutely no chance of you gaining access to Al Safwa. It's strictly for F pax & QR are very protective of it.

On an up-note there are 'quiet rooms' in Al Mourjan which can be quiet, or not so quiet, depending on the time of day or night & how busy the lounge is. Their availability is also heavily dependant on time of day as during peak times they're very popular & allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Think on them as a private (ish) rest area rather than a bedroom to sleep in & hopefully you won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by impeymac
Hi Paul & a warm welcome to the QR FlyerTalk forum!

Sorry to start off on a downer, but there's absolutely no chance of you gaining access to Al Safwa. It's strictly for F pax & QR are very protective of it.

On an up-note there are 'quiet rooms' in Al Mourjan which can be quiet, or not so quiet, depending on the time of day or night & how busy the lounge is. Their availability is also heavily dependant on time of day as during peak times they're very popular & allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Think on them as a private (ish) rest area rather than a bedroom to sleep in & hopefully you won't be disappointed.
Thanks so much for the reply, I did think as much. What is considered the busy periods? We arrive in Doha at 6pm, also do you have to ask at the desk for one of the quiet rooms or do you just look to see if they are free?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:42 am

Thanks so much for the reply, I did think as much. What is considered the busy periods? We arrive in Doha at 6pm, also do you have to ask at the desk for one of the quiet rooms or do you just look to see if they are free?
The busiest periods are normally;

23.00 - 01.30
5.00 - 7.00

One of the other contributors made a lounge-usage graph based on previous use, unfortunately I can't remember where it is (helpful eh?)

Anyway, there's a desk to the right of the quiet area, just in front of the entrances to the showers in that area, you ask there.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:34 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by impeymac
The busiest periods are normally;

23.00 - 01.30
5.00 - 7.00

One of the other contributors made a lounge-usage graph based on previous use, unfortunately I can't remember where it is (helpful eh?)

Anyway, there's a desk to the right of the quiet area, just in front of the entrances to the showers in that area, you ask there.
Thanks so much for your help, it's nice to go on a forum and ask simple questions without getting lambasted
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:13 pm

only front leg of connecting flight miles/segments posted

I flew RDU-->CLT-->LGA yesterday. RDU-->CLT EQMs and EQS posted, but no sign of CLT-->LGA. Any reason why these would post at different times? Is this common?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks so much for your help, it's nice to go on a forum and ask simple questions without getting lambasted
The QR Forum regulars pride themselves on being helpful and not flaming - hence we have this very thread.

Safe travels, and a belated Welcome to Flyertalk!

M
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:27 pm

No problem! Don't forget to update us on how it went, your experiences might help someone in the future.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by remdk
Ants1 Once you board the aircraft a few high status passengers are greeted personally by the CSM otherwise everyone is treated equally, to a very high standard, no matter which ticket class you have. Wifi on certain routes may still be chargeable but otherwise I have never had to pay for anything, or tip, onboard in seven years flying with QR. Note that Pyjamas are not available on all flights. See the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post27191309 for further details. With regard to meals and alcohol then the only limit is demand and the quantity onboard.

The same is true of Al Mourjan. Tipping a lounge waiter a couple of dollars is to be an exception rather than a rule. It will be appreciated but it appears to be frowned upon by management.

If there are differences in service on different aircraft types it will be due to the differences in cabin layout but they will be barely noticeable.
Thank you!
I booked my honeymoon travel for next July (departure is O Economy, and return is R Business).

I'm assuming that my spouse and I won't get access to Al Mourjan on the departure leg, but only on the return. Or is this not true?

Also, I checked the 777-200lr thread but was unable to find much info on strategy for choosing seats in the economy cabin. I heard that we should just avoid the front of the cabin, as that is usually where the bassinets are. True?

Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Hi, Sorry there's 100 pages here and haven't read them all. I've pretty much decided I want to fly QR and EY long haul over the next 2-3 yrs. For QR I would like to get award tickets also or upgrades. If I cut out EY I could make QR Gold but I'm not ready to do that just yet. I'm just concerned that if I'm only flying them probably x1-2/yr in J, that I won't earn enough before I can redeem them on a flight even with 3yrs expiry (or 4yrs pay to extend).

I can transfer SPG to QR at probably 25,000/yr (50,000 at a stretch with SPGs 5,000 transfer bonus)
I can fly LAN and credit to QR also not sure how many times a year but <5? we will say?
I can also get my dad or partner to accrue to me but I see that's at a reduced rate unless you are QR gold.

Zero chance of getting to platinum where points don't expire. I think that would be 4 long haul J in 1 yr.

There is the cash and miles option where you only require 50% miles. But not sure about the fine print - ie can I use that on sale fares and only pay say $1500 for J each way? if so that would still be a bargain for QR J. And I could use miles sooner and probably not worry about the expiry.

I don't know whether to credit my QR flights to AA to aim for rewards on QR and EY and not worry about points expiring (although there appear to be some changes going on at AA and I'm not overly familiar with the program, just plan to buy points during bonuses from them and then redeem). With AA's changes I'm starting to lean away from them because I don't know the program well and not sure if redemptions will be affected. And if I've actually EARNED the miles I'll probably feel more bummed than if I just bought miles/points for redemption.

I fly QF fairly regularly so could credit QR to QF and not worry about point expiry although to redeem SYD-LHR in F is supposedly 203,000 ie quite a bit of work. If I reach my years target I could see what flights I could accrue to QR (I suspect not many as mainly domestic).

Or should I credit to QR and hope I get enough points for a good award ticket in J long haul either ex Australia or Asia to UK/Europe and add in SPG points each yr and LAN accrual. This will always be the route even when paid.

I have my first QR flight on 777 in J later this week. Will aim for a running visit to Al Mourjan also. I don't think we have much time to transit, all on one ticket.

Would really appreciate some direction.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Sep 12, 2016 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:24 am

NZbutterfly Welcome to the QR forum.
I would recommend you look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html thread for answers to most of your questions. there is also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ect-miles.html with a couple of useful links. When you have a better idea of how you want to manage your miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Any reply we on this forum gave you now would be rather generic and very complex. If you can decide how you want to handle the miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
jamespreid

Not uncommon - but easily rectifiable. If you just go into your QR account and click 'Claim missing Qmiles'. As long as your QRPC number was registered to that flight, you will see a list of flights you've recently flown. Simply check the box next to it, and submit. Often if its just a system error of sorts it will credit the miles immediately. If there is some sort of error it won't but you'll get some form of reply from the QRPC team as to why not (sometimes requiring your e-ticket number). Top tip - dont throw your ticket stub away if you haven't already - sometimes they want to see it. But 9/10 the former way works quickly and easily.

Any problems do let us know.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Paul Foreman

Don't forget that dependant on your fare code - stopovers of over 8 hrs can sometimes include a complimentary hotel (transit accommodation), which is 5* for J pax. There's a good wiki within this forum on it with answers to a lot of questions. But much better if you're eligible than the 'quiet rooms' in the Al M, so please do check it out!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...pc-policy.html

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by remdk
NZbutterfly Welcome to the QR forum.
I would recommend you look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html thread for answers to most of your questions. there is also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ect-miles.html with a couple of useful links. When you have a better idea of how you want to manage your miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Any reply we on this forum gave you now would be rather generic and very complex. If you can decide how you want to handle the miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Hi remdk,

I'm not after status. I have OWE with QF platinum. Just want to know where to credit QR flights to for earning points/miles for J redemption on QR.
a) QR
b) QF
c) AA

I did look at the "which FFP threads for general and OW" but I'm not looking to replace my current programs.

I realise QR points expire in 3yrs unless platinum but I could probably accrue ~60-70,000 through QR flights in 3yrs doing 1 J trip/yr. Once I've hit my QF targets each year I can credit eligible QF and LAN flights to QR to get more Q miles. I could also top up QR with 25-50,000 SPG points/yr (I may not stay with them much next yr, still deciding but can at least buy 30,000 points and transfer 20,000 each yr to QR). I may do a personal trip but that's not guaranteed. I think 1 J trip a yr would get me silver and increase the Q miles slightly. I'm happy to buy Qmiles to top up or use Cash + miles as long as the overall cost of buying Qmiles etc is less than the cost of J outright (this is for personal travel).

I fly QF anyway and hardly use the QF points. I can credit AMEX to them (only just signed up so not sure how much I will accrue each yr) and I have an Qantas cash card to accrue to QF. I can't transfer SPG to QF it's not listed. SYD-LHR is 203,000 in F I think but DOH-LHR is in J. I have 110,000 after 14 months flying QF (redeemed 30,000 for upgrades last yr). I fly LAN as well under QF but can credit that to QR. Maybe earn 7,000 Q miles from LAN.

AA I can accrue OW flights to. I'll only credit QF here after I've reached status targets for the year. But I plan to just use this programme to buy points and redeem on QR. Seems they have better redemption rates than QF but the programme is undergoing changes so I'm unsure. I don't know that programme well at all. I don't fly AA nor do I have any plans to. It's about 75-85,000 miles/points to redeem for J on QR looking at the award chart from Australia/Asia to Europe. My upcoming QR flight is 16,248 miles return. I'm not sure how AA works but it says 100% base miles. EQM I think are status related miles and irrelevant but EQD (elite qualifying dollars) only 20%. I don't know if the EQD are the redeemable part of AA? (Maybe because I don't know or understand it just yet I shouldn't accrue to it? Just signed up within the last wk for free.)

It would be nice to aim for a redemption say Australia to Doha 140,000 or Asia to Doha 100,000 or Doha to LHR 86,000?? Qcalculator gave error message just now but I think thats what it said previously. So I could reach some level of redemption on QR before Qmiles expire in 3yrs I think. 1 J trip/yr doesn't really leave much room for timing with promos though to get more Qmiles. I could hope to get lucky through an easy deal though where it says you might get 50% off reward ticket requirements?

Does this info help you to help me?

I will probably fly EY x1/yr and could credit to AA also which would help increase miles/points.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Sep 13, 2016 at 7:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.