FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 am
NZbutterfly

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by remdk
NZbutterfly Welcome to the QR forum.
I would recommend you look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html thread for answers to most of your questions. there is also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ect-miles.html with a couple of useful links. When you have a better idea of how you want to manage your miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Any reply we on this forum gave you now would be rather generic and very complex. If you can decide how you want to handle the miles then we can give you much more precise answers.
Hi remdk,

I'm not after status. I have OWE with QF platinum. Just want to know where to credit QR flights to for earning points/miles for J redemption on QR.
a) QR
b) QF
c) AA

I did look at the "which FFP threads for general and OW" but I'm not looking to replace my current programs.

I realise QR points expire in 3yrs unless platinum but I could probably accrue ~60-70,000 through QR flights in 3yrs doing 1 J trip/yr. Once I've hit my QF targets each year I can credit eligible QF and LAN flights to QR to get more Q miles. I could also top up QR with 25-50,000 SPG points/yr (I may not stay with them much next yr, still deciding but can at least buy 30,000 points and transfer 20,000 each yr to QR). I may do a personal trip but that's not guaranteed. I think 1 J trip a yr would get me silver and increase the Q miles slightly. I'm happy to buy Qmiles to top up or use Cash + miles as long as the overall cost of buying Qmiles etc is less than the cost of J outright (this is for personal travel).

I fly QF anyway and hardly use the QF points. I can credit AMEX to them (only just signed up so not sure how much I will accrue each yr) and I have an Qantas cash card to accrue to QF. I can't transfer SPG to QF it's not listed. SYD-LHR is 203,000 in F I think but DOH-LHR is in J. I have 110,000 after 14 months flying QF (redeemed 30,000 for upgrades last yr). I fly LAN as well under QF but can credit that to QR. Maybe earn 7,000 Q miles from LAN.

AA I can accrue OW flights to. I'll only credit QF here after I've reached status targets for the year. But I plan to just use this programme to buy points and redeem on QR. Seems they have better redemption rates than QF but the programme is undergoing changes so I'm unsure. I don't know that programme well at all. I don't fly AA nor do I have any plans to. It's about 75-85,000 miles/points to redeem for J on QR looking at the award chart from Australia/Asia to Europe. My upcoming QR flight is 16,248 miles return. I'm not sure how AA works but it says 100% base miles. EQM I think are status related miles and irrelevant but EQD (elite qualifying dollars) only 20%. I don't know if the EQD are the redeemable part of AA? (Maybe because I don't know or understand it just yet I shouldn't accrue to it? Just signed up within the last wk for free.)

It would be nice to aim for a redemption say Australia to Doha 140,000 or Asia to Doha 100,000 or Doha to LHR 86,000?? Qcalculator gave error message just now but I think thats what it said previously. So I could reach some level of redemption on QR before Qmiles expire in 3yrs I think. 1 J trip/yr doesn't really leave much room for timing with promos though to get more Qmiles. I could hope to get lucky through an easy deal though where it says you might get 50% off reward ticket requirements?

Does this info help you to help me?

I will probably fly EY x1/yr and could credit to AA also which would help increase miles/points.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Sep 13, 2016 at 7:51 am