Community
Wiki Posts
Search

massive QF FF programme changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:19 am

Hi whughes3,

<<On the general issues, I have been doing some detailed sums on what will happen to me, and I must agree that I personally will be considerably better off..>>

Good to hear Now help spread the word to the other 2.6 million members.

<<Finally, can you tell me what will happen with the 3000/5500km upgrade certs that elites get now..if unused by 15/9, how many 'upgrade credits' will they translate to?>>

Darren will post the procedure. There is a translation process that benefits all, but gives a special bonus to the higher tiers.

Have to sign-off for a few weeks - will be OS for 6 weeks.

Thanks for positive feedback. I check the forum occasionally to see what scams you guys have going so if you have any questions post them and I will try to respond (although could be a few weeks.

Cheers... Bruce
Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:27 am

Originally posted by bers:
I think they were having some problems - I was getting 500 Errors (internal server error) but things are back.

Even more positive is the complimentary Gold (current silver) card for a partner for 2100 credits (cheaper than BA!) and the 250 Credits = 1 Upgrade Credit idea. And the 7000/14000 lifetime statuses are just amazing. That means there are some very easy ways to get lifetime. That's only 233 trips in Business from SYD-MEL. Not much really.

The upgrades look pretty reasonable value and I love the status bonuses (25% extra for me!). The Bus to First upgrades are especially attractive.

No expiry is a sound marketing decision - doesn't cost them much I assume but removes a great barrier in perceptions. I know they got rid of the service fee now but what about joining fees?

Award levels will be signifcantly higher though. 40,000 New points for PER-MEL-PER Business class. I can get it for 37,500 old points today. Unfortunately domestic upgrades are now 1.6 times more expensive. It doesn't say anything about converting your 80,000 points to 50,000 after September, so maybe they are pricing awards high at this point as people will have lots of the "old" points to use up. I think maintaining it as a special balance and the old table (like AA did) would have been better.

However, gone is the days of getting "bonus" points in the States on a D Class RTW but flying in first as AA doesn't have Business Class. Under 2700 miles, Business and First earn the same.

But the miles thing has got me stumped. I just simply don't understand that bit. With kms used on UK roads soon (so I'm lead to believe), its inevitable that BA will change to Kms. Clearly, they've done a lot of matching to US programs. Maybe even too much!

I am genuinely considering my decision to have AA as my top choice program. At this stage in my life, QF will be my main airline that I fly on and these changes take out most of the problems that caused me to give the check in lady the shock of her life last month when I asked to have my QF number removed to put an AA number in instead. She'd never done it before!

Good series of changes and I suspect market forces will make them drop some of the levels of award bookings. For me, awards are not my priority - upgrades and status are. This is therefore great for me!

Just my first thoughts.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:37 am

Bers - I do this thing for a living and am impressed by the enthuisiasm!Where have you got to - are you going to give Qantas your preferred program status. There are further recognition benefits to be announced for high value customer s and some surprise and delight as well.

Originally posted by bers:
I think they were having some problems - I was getting 500 Errors (internal server error) but things are back.

Even more positive is the complimentary Gold (current silver) card for a partner for 2100 credits (cheaper than BA!) and the 250 Credits = 1 Upgrade Credit idea. And the 7000/14000 lifetime statuses are just amazing. That means there are some very easy ways to get lifetime. That's only 233 trips in Business from SYD-MEL. Not much really.

The upgrades look pretty reasonable value and I love the status bonuses (25% extra for me!). The Bus to First upgrades are especially attractive.

No expiry is a sound marketing decision - doesn't cost them much I assume but removes a great barrier in perceptions. I know they got rid of the service fee now but what about joining fees?

Award levels will be signifcantly higher though. 40,000 New points for PER-MEL-PER Business class. I can get it for 37,500 old points today. Unfortunately domestic upgrades are now 1.6 times more expensive. It doesn't say anything about converting your 80,000 points to 50,000 after September, so maybe they are pricing awards high at this point as people will have lots of the "old" points to use up. I think maintaining it as a special balance and the old table (like AA did) would have been better.

However, gone is the days of getting "bonus" points in the States on a D Class RTW but flying in first as AA doesn't have Business Class. Under 2700 miles, Business and First earn the same.

But the miles thing has got me stumped. I just simply don't understand that bit. With kms used on UK roads soon (so I'm lead to believe), its inevitable that BA will change to Kms. Clearly, they've done a lot of matching to US programs. Maybe even too much!

I am genuinely considering my decision to have AA as my top choice program. At this stage in my life, QF will be my main airline that I fly on and these changes take out most of the problems that caused me to give the check in lady the shock of her life last month when I asked to have my QF number removed to put an AA number in instead. She'd never done it before!

Good series of changes and I suspect market forces will make them drop some of the levels of award bookings. For me, awards are not my priority - upgrades and status are. This is therefore great for me!

Just my first thoughts.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:41 am

Richard - email Darren on [email protected] on the qantas status issues.

Originally posted by RichardMEL:
I would say that the move to Miles by QF is to bring them in-line with oneworld(tm) partners. The 1000 mile minimum is definately novel, and amazing for flights like MEL-SYD (439 actual miles according to UA). Imagine how much you could rack up on all those funky regional flights or even CBR-SYD shuttles?

I wonder if QF would comp me gold or plat level if I show them my UA 1K card and statement.

This certainly makes QF a viable and attractive option and Ansett has a large stake in it's coffin if it does not match/revamp GR which now seems even more sad and tired than before.

Also of note 7500 credits for lifetime. If you need 1400 in a year to make plat, and given you make 10 minimum you could make lifetime gold in around 6 years of heavy flying or 750 short haul flights. If we assume 1000 miles/flight, that's 750,000 miles. That's *cheap* compared to AA/UA's million miler lifetime status!

I wonder if these changes will impact the US programs in any way?

Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:53 am

Bruce has been doing a great job in answering all the queries as he did in being a key member of the design team and clearly he believes passionately that what we have designed is an enhanced program that balances both additional benfits without becoming unsustainable. To confirm the 20% bonus applies to all credit cards that enable points transfers to the QF program.
Originally posted by ozstamps:
Well answered thanks Bruce. Do you work for QF or one of the plans? Seems like you have a lot of info there that is very specific.

Yes, I can concur the ANZ bank scheme guy answered my first question as your post indicates - i.e. my EXISTING QF points balance in number will all become "miles" despite them being earnt flying KMs. All my ANZ 200,000 balanace will get transferred 1=1 PLUS the 20% bonus.

Bruce .. triple checking that are you 100% sure that Amex MR balances definitely attracts this bonus 20%??? Just all seems to good to be true to me!

Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:06 am

You may find its a little difficult to buy 750 Red-E-Deals and fly them within the period! And gees do you really want to fly this route 750 times? For $49,000 I am sure we can make you a lifetime Silver member without having to fly .....
The change in name from Tier Creits to Status Credits was an atempt to make them more easily understood by members - our research showed few understood what they were for and how they were calculated; its really just a change of name.However, in doing so we did change this from a geographic (i.e. between x and Y) onto the distance basis. At the same time we generally increased the amount of credits for each route. The differences between discount and full economy for credits remains. The end result is that we have removed the anomalies which generally worked against members and have made it easier to get or retain tier status. The new levels apply for flights on or after 15 Sept.
Originally posted by futaris:
Something that nobody has mentioned is what happens to our status credits, after the changeover? Do they get converted to Tier Credits, or what?

A good way to earn status would be to buy a head of Qantas Red-E-Deals for $66/flight, ie BNE-SYD, SYD-MEL, etc. If you get the flights after Sept 15, then you'll get 1000 points/flight, rather than the ~500 points you get now, plus 10 status points a flight.

So for 750 short flights * $66 = $49,500 you could get 750,000 points, and lifetime membership? (Assuming all you did was fly between Sept 15 & Dec 31)...

Does anyone know about special itineraries, containing overland segments? We used to be able to get those on the Old System. ie. BNE-DPS & JKT-BNE. Will these be available on the new system?

What about the $999 BNE, SYD, MEL - LAX airfares? They'll still fall under the old 70% discount economy ones, right? But on the new system, you'd get ~23,000 points, and only 80 Tier Credits? Seems to be almost the same amount of Tier/Status for Discount Economy.

I wish Commonwealth Bank True Awards didn't charge a fee of 2,500 points/yr to transfer to Qantas FF.

Do Woolworths Ezy Banking charge any fees to xfer to Qantas FF? I know they are offering 1 Ezy Rewards point for every $1 transferred to their CC. And I guess you earn 1.25 points at Woolies.

The one thing I really dislike is the stopover fee...

Also, don't forget about:

Make an Award booking using the online service between 1 March and 30 June 2001 and you'll earn a bonus 1,000 Frequent Flyer points for each booking.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:12 am

Richard. Like all other programs I am aware of you will only be able to upgrade one class. The booklet you have to date is only the announcement booklet. The new member benefit booklet is being finalised.

Originally posted by RichardMEL:
Bruceb - thanks for the feedback - good to have you answering stuff. Thank you

Now I made a boo boo above with my comment about lifetime status. I thought I read it was 7,500 credits, but it's 14,000 (re-reading the physical brochure) and that makes it much harder to make lifetime than before, but brings you into line with AA/UA who require 1,000,000 miles flown, but their top tier levels require 100k each year to qualify, ergo: 10 years at elite level and you're million miler/lifetime. At QF it's the same (basically) - 1400 credits for plat level, 10 years @ plat and you're a lifer.

One other thing that I notice QF has not made any comment about in the booklet, and thus I would assume is permitted (but likely will be changed real soon now) is....

double upgrades

There's nothing to say that an upgrade award can't be used on top of another so to go Y->J->F using miles. Did I read this wrong?

I still think the tier credits screw most flyers.

Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:24 am

Koru Flyer

Bruce is correct in stating the requalification level at 600 points. We will be using the new levels immediately and for instance have moved the Platinum level to 1400 from this month. With all the changes we will be running a manual eye over things but the intention is (given we have made it easier) that we will not be reissuing cards for an extended period and normal membership terms will apply.

Originally posted by bruceb:
LHR/MEL/Europe FF,

<<I used to be able to get Biz Cl. for 11250 points, but will now cost me 30000 - a huge jump.>>

Correct, but this has been offset by a bigger increase in the number of points you earn on these routes. For example most economy members would earn 330 points for a return trip SYD-CBR under the old system and 2000 points for return under the new system.

Koru Flyer,

<<So does anyone (Bruce?) know what QF are doing with elite levels this time around and how are they rolling the changeover in terms of qualification dates.>>

I am unaware of any changes to recognition program that are negative – that is all are positive for members (more tier credits for same flying and low qualification levels for some). Therefore it will be rolled through without any freezing or complimentary periods.

I do know that members that have anniversary dates somewhere between now and 15 September will be reviewed under the most favourable option for you – in other words you should get the best of both worlds. New cards will be sent before 15th September based on your current status. You will continue to earn tier credits under the current zonal table until 15th September – no change.

<<This is somewhat important to me anyway as the changes take place on 15/9 and my silver status expires end 31/10! >>

You will receive the new card, but it will still expire on the same date - unless you meet the re-qualification level (600 points under the new system).

Cheers… Bruce
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:26 am

All correct as reported.
Darren

Originally posted by tinkybelle:
I was most concerned about the 5000 point penalty for changing and award flight date.I have a heap of tickets which I will not use untilwell into next year. i dont have a clue WHEN i will use them.I called the service centre and they told me that any ticket or booking issued BEFORE the changeover on 15th Sept will NOT iincur the penalty so it is my belief that anyone contemplating a flight next year get the ticket issued before then.
I also asked if the points (as they are in kms) will be reduced by 40% to miles . they said definitely NO.
bruce can U confirm this..?????
if that is true then anyone booking an around oz fare can use it till 15th sept 2002!!!!
Old Mar 19, 2001, 4:05 am

Whughes,

We will be converting your upgrade certificates to new electronic ones on 15 Sep. At the same toime we will extend their validity to 24 months and extend their use to the family definition used for redemptions. Golds and Silvers will get bonus certs.

Darren
Originally posted by whughes3:
Bruceb,
Re your query about my experience with getting upgrades..I can only say lately it's been a bit odd! Every time I have tried lately using the 'official' phone service, I have been told flatly that no upgrades were available..but when I get to the airport and ask nicely at checkin or the QC lounge, it's 'no worries mate!' (despite the fact that this is contrary to the published policy). Maybe I am getting preferential treatment for being Silver? Anyway, I hope international upgrades work a bit more predictably.
On the general issues, I have been doing some detailed sums on what will happen to me, and I must agree that I personally will be considerably better off..the gains on economy swamp the losses on BC. However, I still think it's a bit bizarre that it will take *fewer* economy flights to earn a BC reward flight, but *more* BC flights to do the same!
Finally, can you tell me what will happen with the 3000/5500km upgrade certs that elites get now..if unused by 15/9, how many 'upgrade credits' will they translate to?
Old Mar 19, 2001, 7:21 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
I just want to say a bit thank you, and welcome, to Darren - QF's Loyalty and Airline Alliance manager. Folks, this is the man at the top of the tree, or at least in a very good position to take on board all of your comments and concerns.

Thank you for sharing with us your comments, and aluding to future plans to be released. I think it is wonderful that you have taken the time to stop by here and answer our various posts and comments and I hope you are able to find the time to stop back and keep in touch with this forum, as I know many "road warriors" will be reading, and apprieciating at the very least to know that their voice can be heard, and that you are listening, even if it is with a private hat on rather than speaking speficially for QANTAS.

I might side with the rival alliance, but I certainly very much apprieciate you coming in here and taking the time to post. I hope to see more from you in the future.

cheers,
Richard

------------------
UA 1K MEL
A Star Alliance(tm) Member.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I endorse Richard's remarks Darren, and welcome you also to FlyerTalk! This thread has to be the most informative one on the Qantas board ever.

My comment about the Amex point transfer has been answered - thanks. I read the literature brochure today, and noticed photos of a number of Ozzie cards that DID attract the 20% bonus, but no photo of an Amex card or mention of it.

The 4 x J class seats OZ-NYC for a week at the W in New York sounded like a neat deal tho!! If I transfer my million or so Amex points, it reads to me like that gives 2,000 entries into that "W" prize draw? i.e. one entry for each 5,000 point transfer?

I am flying out in 12 hours for 5 nights at the Waldorf Astoria in New York, but 5 nights FREE at the W is a great competition .. congratulations to those involved for thinking of it.

Darren, to answer a previous query, do you envisage at some point in the future that Flyer points in the QF scheme might be themselves able to be transferred to Hilton or Starwood etc as is often the case with the USA airline schemes?

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Mar 19, 2001, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Darren,

Welcome to the baord, and thankyou for answering my query although, sad to know that my status will finally revert back to the bronze at the end of october But given I have only flown 6 flights with QF in the last 2 or so years, I consider myself lucky to have survived this far!

A question or two though. From my reading I have two silver domestic certs valid until Oct'01. On 15 September they will be converted (if unused) to two upgrade credits which I could then use for a trans-tasman one way intl upgrade? For me one of the biggest hassles of the QF programme was that I could only upgrade domestic Australia (and NZ but not worth it for 30 mins!) and as most of my flying is NZ to MEL/SYD/BNE or NZ to Asia/USA/europe I do not do much traveling in Australia domestically. Second question will they be valid for 24 months if converted with only 45 days left?

For me anyway, the status bonus for elites and lifetime credit tally is making me look very hard at shifting my 150,000km/year from NZ (which I lovely flying dearly) to QF.

Time will tell, and I suppose the comments of members here about the experiences of QF post 15/9 will be telling. Also will be very interesting to see what AN/NZ do as the ante has been raised.

Mark
Old Mar 19, 2001, 9:18 pm

Darren, can you confirm ny calculations (and maybe comment)

I recently took an award flight SYD-MEL(stopover)-WLG-SYD for 30,000 points. My calculation under the new scheme for this itinerary is 70,000 points - a 133% increase!! Is this right? If so, then it's ridiculous. A straight SYD-WLG-SYD would still be 30,000 and a SYD-MEL-SYD would be 20,000 so 2 separate itineraries would 'save' 20,000 points (70,000 - 50,000) yet involve an extra flight segment. In other words the argument for charging 10,000 per stopover to free up seats seems a bit shallow when, in this case, it would be cheaper (in points) to take an extra unneccessary flight segment.

Value your input

Adam
Old Mar 20, 2001, 4:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Gee, I fly to Hobart (using 9,000 AN points) for a couple of days, and look at the size of this thread while I'm away. A few comments:

1) QF should look at its other problems first. If I ask someone a question via email, chances I will get an answer, often not a decent one, eventually. Get realistic. Answer your email promptly and efficiently, or don't have email at all. In particular, I booked a redemption flight online, then saw that an even better (for me) flight was available one day. I emailed QF and they didn't bother to reply for 6 days, by which time the seat wasn't available any more. It's utterly pathetic. Would a caller on the phone be put on hold for 6 days? If not, why can't email that requires 1 min of someone's time be answered promptly?

2) I was QF Blue for 3 years. Out of my 3 free domestic upgrade certs, I managed to use just one. The upgrade certs are practically useless, can't be converted back to points, can't be converted to lounge passes, can't be converted to anything useful.

3) I gave up on QF after several years of elite status because of the introduction of the pathetic tier credits system. The new version is better, but still awful.

I went through 2 of my recent Star RTW trips and calculated the status credits I would have got on QF for same trip. Totals: 28785 miles and 28919 miles. With UA, that equals Star Silver + 15% of the way to Star Gold for each. With QF, my itineraries came to 240 credits in both cases. That's 69% of the way to OneWorld Ruby.

Still a long way behind.

4) I don't really care how "points" are derived, but Australia has been metric for decades. Most people know the city-city distances in km, if they know them at all. Yes, I'm prepared to convert them to miles to work things out on a US airline, but I don't see why I should have to for Qantas. At the very least, QF should list all their distance tables in the correct units.

5) One question I haven't seen anyone ask: What about open-jaw redemptions? Ansett officially allows open-jaw redemptions. Some of the US airlines allow open-jaw redemptions. (eg. UA, even though I've never seen it in print anywhere.) If the new QF scheme not only (effectively) kills multiple-stop itineraries, but also has no option for open-jaws, this makes it quite inferior to other schemes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.