Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by thadocta
One thing for next time though, QF are looking at almost eliminating the DOM flights between INT terminals, so I don't think we will be able to FLounge next time, ....
Maybe next year we hold that AGM at a location where there is still an FLoungeable flight to. ^ Let's look at the schedule.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Nice to meet so many FTers - both old and new. With the SYD flight and my HVB flight, is this a record for most FTers individually paged on the same day going to the same do?
I bet it was! 19 or so names in SYD plus yours!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would like to add my thanks to the organisers. It was a lot of fun, even if I had to leave early.

First ime I have ever heard my name called urgently to a waiting plane

The increased exposure of the QF FT group on Facebook sounds like a good idea
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:49 pm

Programs: QF Plat - LT Gold, SQ Silver, Hertz 5 Star
A Great day!

I would like to thank everyone who had any part in organising yesterday. I really enjoyed myself and I am very happy that I came in on CX in time to head out to the Breaky Creek Hotel. My arrival actually worked out really well with the Fters arriving on QF175 - only a few minutes apart.

I have to say it was a bit of a shock to the system coming from a week in Seoul (where the maximums were around 2-3 degrees C all week), to BNE's heat yesterday. The shower facilites in the QP were most helpful!

This was compensated by achieving LTG on the HKG-BNE leg en route to the AGM08

Last edited by dotty; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Been home not too long.

Thanks to QF WP and thadocta for their lounge 'smoothing-of-the-way preparations', to littl-flier and serfty for meal organisation, to futaris, serfty, ozmerish and QF WP for the lifts to/from various places, and thanks to itsalongwaydown and perthite for the guesting into BNE QP (though really, I guess it was a collective effort). And I'd like to give thanks to God for...oh sorry, thought I was at the Oscars.

Had a great time and was excellent to meet a lot of FTers I hadn't met before and meet again with the ones I had. Look forward to the next one, but I hope the BNE QP can afford some decent aircon next time!

Oh, and I think I received my first ever 'random-act-of kindness' (well, who knows why, but I'll take it) from QF today. OLCI-ed yesterday for QF621 BNE-MEL (along with itsalongwaydown and serfty), was pre-allocated 12D, when I got to the gate my PYOBP failed to scan and I got a pre-printed 'real' BP for 13C (exit row on 738, which happened to be in only its fourth day of operation). Only a minor thing but nice nevertheless.

Cheers
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:07 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Big thanks to QF WP, Serfty and ozmerish for the outstanding land transport.

Serfty - next time we get the train in, or park on one side of the Valley and walk the rest of the way!

An excellent day had by all - or at least by me. Worth the horrificly early start in CBR to make it on board QF175, and the horrific (of Zombie Apocalypse proportions) 4am rise today to make my 6am DeathStar return to NTL.

My first visit to the new F Lounge found me suitably impressed - with both the fruit salad and the French bubbling served up for breakfast more than acceptable. Great lounge, right up there with Cathay's efforts in HK - I'd need to sample lunch or dinner to make the definitive call.

I had a bit of a hobbit day - breakfast in the CBR QF Pub, 2nd breakfast at the SYD F lounge, third breakfast on QF175...

It's a pity no Star Alliance tragics were handy when we were watching the bloatbus idling away before takeoff in SYD. I offered the insightful observation that the Captain and FO were probably arguing over which runway they should be using...... (hopefully not TOO obsure).

Not the first time I've been called over the PA for a flight, but certainly the first time I've been a group of 15+ headed for the same event. Much mirth ensued - and had I known that one of our friendly neighbours to the North had tried to do the bolt through customs, I'd have stuck around in the lounge for another 10 minutes.

'Twas also very nice to be welcomed by a CSM who made a special announcement to honour the Australian FT community en route to their AGM. Now I'll bet THAT'S never happened before.

My IFE unit in 4J was dead - so I pity the fool who got that seat BNE-LAX. I pity that fool. I may have to send in a whinge to QF and see if I get any consideration. Had to console myself by finishing my fresh copy of the "Notebooks of Lazarus Long".

Great to reunite with those I had encountered before, and to meet those I had not. Kudos to the hard core goup that stuck it out for dinner - for most the second major steak meal for the day. I think the open air courtyard at the Norman was the coolest place I'd been since arriving in BNE that morning.

The new Sofitel club rooms get the seal of approval - although my view may be somewhat tainted by the significant amount of champagne, beer and wine consumed during the day (and my sum total of 6.25 hours between check-in and check-out).

Looking forward to the next one. Can't believe I'm still awake.

Oh, and for the benefit of those who asked - I will get around to updating the blog soon.

As in before 2009.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:40 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by shillard
'Twas also very nice to be welcomed by a CSM who made a special announcement to honour the Australian FT community en route to their AGM. Now I'll bet THAT'S never happened before.
But it was a special perk for business only since he made the announcement only there and not in Y.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks to all for a fantastic time. I got there a little late at 3:30pm but it was great to see familiar old faces and be introduced to new faces.

Thanks to QF WP for the ride from Airport to Norman Hotel and then to Queen St. I really enjoyed the steak at the Norman Hotel and the drinks in Queen St afterwards with serfty and tuapekastar.

I managed to get 23B, with 23A blocked, on the SYD-BNE B767 flight yesterday and then arrived at BNE airport today to find that my flight scheduled for 15:15 take off was going to be 25 minutes late. I think it was VH-ZXB and it was delayed for 30 minutes in MEL in the morning and was not able to make up the time.

I used OLCI and was allocated 24H on SYD-BNE B767 flight and was issued one of the new flimsy boarding passes which I managed to replace for the cardboard variety in the Qantas Lounge. I was advised not to buy a Lotto ticket as my flight was the only one to be running late. I had some soup and refreshments while waiting and about 15 minutes later my name was paged by the service centre. Since I only had carry on and my flight was running 30 minutes late I was offered a seat on the 14:45 SYD-BNE B767 flight. I was allocated 25H with the middle seat blocked. Thank you Qantas and I think this is another reason why one needs to remain loyal to an airline as I am not too sure many people would have been offered a seat on an earlier flight on the cheapest of red-edeals.

Looking forward to Ozfest V in May, Kiwi Mainland Do II in CHC in September and the FT AGM next February.

Although this is officially titled the FT AGM there was a large presence from AFF members which should possibly be recognised next time....
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
But it was a special perk for business only since he made the announcement only there and not in Y.
Nah, I heard it. Was soon after the 2 'wedding anniversary' announcements.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
was good to be able to put some faces to names looking forward to agm 09
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:10 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
So did anyone take a final count of attendees for the day?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by NM
So did anyone take a final count of attendees for the day?
I think Dave counted 70 or 80 - but that was after a few drinks.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:03 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Nah, I heard it. Was soon after the 2 'wedding anniversary' announcements.
Yes, I heard it as well. But you could only hear it because we were sitting in the first rows of economy. Further in the back you couldn't hear it since it was only done in Business.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
If a CSM makes an announcement in the back of economy, and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not a peep of that was heard way back in 29C.

As it happened, the CSM was using the jump seat in front of me and we had a bit of a chat; He offered me some pointy end bubbles, but I had to decline. The crew were on their last leg of a 9 day US sojourn and looking forward to some rest.

I certainly had a good time; this being my 4th AGM and the biggest. Thanks to everyone for their conviviality and friendship. Looking forward to next years ...

Had an upgraded to a junior suite at the Conrad, very comfortable .

shillard , I'll certainly strike the valley off my Sat morning routes for the foreseeable future. FWIW, when I went back I used the "Inner City Bypass", coming in from the other side - a very effective move.

Last edited by serfty; Feb 24, 2008 at 3:30 pm
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by GoldFlyer
I think Dave counted 70 or 80 - but that was after a few drinks.
The number of beer mugs in hand did not equal the number of attendees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.