Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6th Annual FT AGM, BNE QP, Saturday 23 Feb 2008

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The northern winter 08/09 schedules won't be released for a few more months. Hopefully the domestic tag legs (all of them) will come back in the schedule then.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hmm Saturday AKL-SYD, F lounge, international SYD-ADL, AGM, hilton points
Sunday international ADL-SYD, F lounge, SYD-AKL

I like it.

So when do we have a decision on location and date?
Wouldn't the AGM be little tricky for any not a WP who planned to stay over - or would people just fly to ADL for the AGM and get a regular flight back to their POO.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
Originally Posted by simongr
Wouldn't the AGM be little tricky for any not a WP who planned to stay over - or would people just fly to ADL for the AGM and get a regular flight back to their POO.
simongr,

Why would it be tricky? I've missed the point of your question.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hmm Saturday AKL-SYD, F lounge, international SYD-ADL, AGM, hilton points
Sunday international ADL-SYD, F lounge, SYD-AKL

I like it.

So when do we have a decision on location and date?
Now that's hardcore.

Shifting the AGM to ADL really only means that as far as getting to the AGM is concerned, almost everyone is on an even playing field - almost everyone will need to fly. The implications this has on attendance is another thing (will this necessarily complicate matters?). For some of us that need to get the timing right, it may just become a small DO of sorts (viz. AGM now becomes a 2-night regime: having to spend an extra night in ADL - unless you get out of ADL by 1700 - that doesn't time very well).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: QP Plat, BA
The whole day was great. It was nice to meet everyone and thanks to those involved in organising things.

Sign me up for the next AGM.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:57 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
No; we are not going to hold the FT AGM in any other city, there are a number of reasons.

The title FT AGM, BNE QP should be enough and we also need someone like QF WP to organise with the local Qantas Club to actually to allow this event to go ahead.

It will probably be best to wait until Qantas releases the northern winter 2008/09 schedule before we can decide on an actual day. Thadocta has suggested that Sunday 22-Feb-2009.

This may not suit everyone and sorry if you are unable to attend.

FT gatherings are a great way to meet other FTers, may I suggest we turn our attention to; Oz Fest #5 Hobart May 23-25, 2008

Last edited by Bundy Bear; Feb 27, 2008 at 3:18 am
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
future AGM's

Just as QF cycle their AGM's through various cities, I'm not opposed to the idea of a change of venue.

We didn't break any rules on Sunday as we had carefully ensured we had the requisite number of status fliers guesting in those that did not. I think the SYD experience was an aberration. It wasn't as if we were a rowdy group harassing the lounge. Well, OK, I did find a $2 coin in the side of my lounge chair and it took a bit of effort to retrieve it.

If ADL is the chosen venue then the majority of us would be flying in (and possibly out) on the day and as such it should be even less of an issue.

I don't have a M-F job but appreciate that a lot do so I would vote for the status quo. The day of the meeting has to appeal to the majority.

Before any decision is made, I think the new J lounges in BNE, SYD and MEL should be evaluated for their "suitability".
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:04 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
You Brisbane people are a pretentious lot!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:17 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
You Brisbane people are a pretentious lot!
Indeed we are. The BNE AGM will always be in BNE. Now whilst we extend the invitation to people from other locations to attend, the venue will always be BNE.

And if the SYD, MEL, PER or PBO folks want to arrange their own AGM, then good on y'all. You never know, perhaps some BNE folks may even how up just to compare the traffic jams.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NM
Indeed we are. The BNE AGM will always be in BNE. Now whilst we extend the invitation to people from other locations to attend, the venue will always be BNE.

And if the SYD, MEL, PER or PBO folks want to arrange their own AGM, then good on y'all. You never know, perhaps some BNE folks may even how up just to compare the traffic jams.

For poor road conditions around the airport, for suana like climates in a QP, for long lines at security, you BNE folk are real lightweights compared to the operators at PER.

Last edited by perthite; Feb 27, 2008 at 6:09 am
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
OK, so no PER AGM 2009 ...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: QF, GF, VA, AA
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear

The title FT AGM, BNE QP should be enough
Bundy Bear and BNE Flyertalkers,

Sorry if post #607 upset the applecart but, in fact, I had been misled by the title. If compared to earlier titles (eg 4th BNE FlyerTalkers AGM, ~ late Feb 06 ) where it was obvious that it is the BNE FlyerTalkers' AGM, the title of this thread with the comma between AGM and BNE could be read by old folks like myself as "FT AGM at BNE QP this year ".

Again, sorry for any misapprehension.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:05 pm

Well there is any easy way out of this, then. Hold the AGM at BNE and mark SYD-ADL as part of the run to BNE. The timing will be a little weird, though.

I agree with Bundy Bear in that the ability to liaise easily with the QC staff makes for a smooth AGM. I didn't know that the AGM strictly was to be held in BNE - I only believed it was traditional. (Then again, who wants to argue with tradition, right?)

Is there a guide as to how the date of the AGM is determined? (I mean, for what we know, we could hold it in early Feb or even another month for what we care).

Originally Posted by perthite
For poor road conditions around the airport, for suana like climates in a QP, for long lines at security, you BNE folk are real lightweights compared to the operators at PER.
For someone who was in PER for a good deal last year, all I can say is, "You reckon?" (Don't know about the poor road conditions in the airport vicinity, however - I'll take you up on that one).

Having said that, I would like to believe that the sauna issue from the AGM just held was an isolated incident. If I wanted a sauna at BNE Dom, it'd be really simple: Step Outside (non-smoking sauna is located at least 10 m from terminal entrance).
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Okay, let me have my 2c worth, having read the last 3 pages this morning thanks to a PM from Bundy Bear.

As the originator of this Do, whilst I am immensely proud of showcasing BNE as the site for the AGM, I am not adverse to change (having had the AGM at BNE for the last 6 years), however I agree that perhaps we have a multi-venue that can solve everybody's issues.

I think we can all agree that, notwithstanding QF's future schedules, that BNE may not be the best venue for the AGM next year (if we want to Flounge as well), given the possibility that QF175 might not be available. To me, adding the Flounge access has certainly increased the patronage to the AGM, ensuring a health quorum. As for accessing the local management, one email or phone call to the BNE QP Manager will give me her counterpart's details in ADL, SYD T1 and MEL, so I can't see issues there - liaising with them is not very difficult and if my experience with the BNE QP Manager (and Asst Manager) is any yardstick, thing will be just as smooth with the others.
However, the thought of being able to hold multiple meetings (thus getting more local members involved, plus those who want to fly, plus those that want to Flounge, plus those that want to make use of Frequent Guest programs for overnight stays), that perhaps we look to have a BNE/SYD/ADL on the Saturday. Perhaps on the Sunday, it could extend to ADL/MEL/home to try and make use of MEL's Flounge as well. So members can choose which parts of the AGM Do they can attend accordingly.

For one, I'd love to see if we can arrange this. Now the sentimental home will always be BNE (and the first leg of the AGM), but we must extend the appeal to the wider FT community.

Over to the board for everybody's thoughts...

Last edited by QF WP; Feb 27, 2008 at 7:06 pm
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by QF WP
Over to the board for everybody's thoughts...
With sufficient time, a good QF sale or three and a solid plan (e.g., start at BNE QP, flight QFwhatever to SYD and so on), I'd be keen on a multi-airport AGM.

If you want to keep it just in BNE - shifting it a month forward so the local conditions are less sauna-like would be nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.