Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore / SIN Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
To access the Qantas First Lounge in Singapore, firstly:
  1. You need to be able to access departures airside at Changi Airport Terminal 1, and
  2. The Qantas First lounge is open.
If both of those are satisfied, then just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight same day.
  2. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight same day.
  3. Passengers on an itinerary which includes First Class travel on a oneworld marketed and operated flight longer than five hours connecting (on the same day or before 6am the following day) to/from a short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight.
  4. Emirates or Qantas Platinum departing on a Qantas or Emirates Marketed and Operated flight not travelling to North America.
  5. Qantas Platinum departing on a Qantas Marketed flight or a Jetstar Flight.
Access to this lounge as at June '22:

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/qantas-...l-first-lounge

Qantas Platinum/Platinum One
  • Qantas flight number
  • Emirates flight number
  • oneworld flight number
  • Jetstar
oneworld Emerald
  • oneworld flight number (oneworld operated)
oneworld First Passenger
  • oneworld flight number (oneworld operated)
Print Wikipost

Singapore / SIN Qantas First Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024 | 6:45 am
30 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pythonisman
QF F at SIN was nice and (relatively) quiet last night, as QF2 had been re-timed/cancelled and was running about 16hrs late.

Not sure if as a result, or if I just got it on a good day, but I had exceptional service from two lovely ladies in the main dining area, very attentive and helpful with suggestions.

Ordinarily my order would be S&P Squid + Laksa, but I was keen to have something different, so went for the broccolini salad (which was tasty, not exceptional) -- the barramundi dish (especially the Jiang xi sauce) was really great though. When I commented that I really liked the sauce, I was brought a small bowl with a load more of it which was lip smackingly good.

I was thinking about the sorbet for dessert but it was suggested that I try the banana fritter - it was absolutely brilliant - the pandan and ginger flavours worked perfectly to cut through the rich fried banana. Apologies no photo of this.

I agree that the wine list was unremarkable, I went with the champagne. The "non-colada" was pretty unremarkable; tasted just like water with a couple of bits of pineapple in it.

After the meal I went to the QR lounge to shower and relax. I had a ~6hr layover so did have a later bite in the QR lounge but have to say personally I didn't think the dishes were as impressive or flavours as good as what I'd had earlier. They were out of the Satay skewers, so I had some sushi and garlic prawns -- both were ok but nothing amazing. With the help of the enthusiastic barman I enjoyed a campari spritz (though using tattinger in a spritz is extra).
Any pic of the fritter?
Old May 7, 2024 | 7:01 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Any pic of the fritter?
Apologies, I took a bite before taking a photo and it was that good I couldn't/didn't stop.

It was a whole banana, cut in half lengthways, lightly battered. The ginger sorbet was a long quenelle sat between so they looked like three logs sat on top of the pandan crme, which was spread in an oval/circle underneath and had small pieces of pineapple (likely stewed in something sweet), and then the crme also had some kind of toffee like sauce between it and the fritters. It didn't look amazing but the flavours were really delicious.

Edit: I didn't take this but Googled it and found one from a visit last month :-)
Realised I may not have done that in a copyright friendly way, so embedding image from the source instead...

(source: https://www.pointhacks.com.au/review...nge-singapore/)
kirkwoodj likes this.

Last edited by pythonisman; May 7, 2024 at 7:58 am
Old May 7, 2024 | 7:36 am
30 Countries Visited3M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA GS 2.75MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Apologies, I took a bite before taking a photo and it was that good I couldn't/didn't stop.

It was a whole banana, cut in half lengthways, lightly battered. The ginger sorbet was a long quenelle sat between so they looked like three logs sat on top of the pandan crme, which was spread in an oval/circle underneath and had small pieces of pineapple (likely stewed in something sweet), and then the crme also had some kind of toffee like sauce between it and the fritters. It didn't look amazing but the flavours were really delicious.

Edit: I didn't take this but Googled it and found one from a visit last month :-)
(source: https://www.pointhacks.com.au/review...nge-singapore/)
Ooooo! Hope they have that when I'm there in August!
pythonisman likes this.
Old May 7, 2024 | 11:38 pm
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Nice profile of the face behind the dishes, which many of us here have fondly enjoyed:

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia...da-sim-388631?
Her Prawn paste chicken wings should be on the menu permanently. It could be QF Sin First signature dish.

I was telling friends in Singapore about it so they took my out for some prawn paste chicken wings about town but they were not as good as chef Linda's.
kirkwoodj, lsquare and pythonisman like this.
Old May 8, 2024 | 4:32 pm
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Back in Dec 2023, Chef Linda had a deconstructed har mee (dry prawn noodles with soup on the side). It was magnificent beyond words tasty and its coming from someone who doesnt like har mee normally!

lsquare and poopbunny like this.
Old May 8, 2024 | 8:16 pm
10 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Anyone knows when is the last order for dinner at QF First Lounge SIN? I've heard it is 1 hour before the SIN-LHR flight.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 5:47 am

Was badly craving the salt and pepper squid today but, alas, was turned away from the SIN F lounge as OWE flying MH Y around 6:15 pm claiming they only accept passengers flying QF presently as the lounge is expected to be very full so was redirected to the J lounge instead.

Im not sure if this was due to passenger backlog from earlier flight delays or (gasp!) a permanent QF policy change - simply because there are many flights (almost 1-2 per hour) for QF and other airlines that have contracted to use the lounge from early evening to past midnight.

Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 2:14 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Assuming this is not a permanent change. I would expect that QF would know its loadings in J/F and numbers or Plats/OWE and who they are travelling with and made some estimate. Maybe that is expecting too much.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2024 | 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Assuming this is not a permanent change. I would expect that QF would know its loadings in J/F and numbers or Plats/OWE and who they are travelling with and made some estimate. Maybe that is expecting too much.
Not sure whether it's a permanent change. The flight screen didn't seem to show any flights being significantly delayed that could result in overcrowding in the F lounge.

When I went to the J lounge, it was eerily empty.

By comparison, my last visit (prior to boarding the same MH flight) was in late April... warmly welcomed in at 6:30 pm... in fact there were lots of empty seats in the dining and lounging areas when I entered. And when I left at 8 pm, the place was far from full. Perhaps QF has increased flights at SIN since then which happens on certain days of the week (as some flights may not be daily).
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 7:44 pm
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
Assuming this is not a permanent change. I would expect that QF would know its loadings in J/F and numbers or Plats/OWE and who they are travelling with and made some estimate.
You're bang on the money here. I was actually chatting with SIN concierge manager t'other day and this came up, they of course do know lounge numbers based on class & status, and also have a key focus on the stopover windows for QF1 and QF2, so there's some number-crunching and juggling here.

If the F lounge looks like it'll be at capacity and somebody who is not flying on QF rocks up hours ahead of their flight and their 'waiting time' in the lounge will bump into the QF2 window for example, they will be redirected to the J lounge. In some instances they're told they can come back to the F lounge at a certain time after such as after the QF2 crowd leaves.

I would imagine there might even be a 'pecking order' such as Qantas pax first, Qantas status on other airlines second, Oneworld status (non-QF) on other airlines third.

On reflection too, the SIN J lounge was designed for when there were two daily A380 flights (SYD-SIN-LHR and MEL-SIN-LHR) plus Jetstar out of T1. That's all changed and I expect there's also a loss of some savvy business class flyers over to the QR lounge (although numbers may be negligible in the scheme of things), so I think that means there's much more elbow room in the J lounge, broadly speaking.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2024 | 8:50 pm

Thanks for the context. Fellow FTer Rob W has posted in the MH forum that people are being turned away from the QF F lounge as early as 3:30 pm:

​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36300147-post39.html
Old Jun 14, 2024 | 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

It's not the arrival time that matters so much as the flight departure time. QF2 is scheduled to arrive at 17:25

Did the poster indicate what their flight departure time was as opposed to what time they arrived at the lounge
Old Jun 15, 2024 | 6:06 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Thanks for the context. Fellow FTer Rob W has posted in the MH forum that people are being turned away from the QF F lounge as early as 3:30 pm:

​​​​​​https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36300147-post39.html
no offence but MH Y with other airline OWE is almost as good as mr nobody no?chow cheap can MH Y is compared to QF kangaroo route not to mention what good do these OWE do for QF who fly MH

i support QF on this one. lets not get started about "OW rules etc etc" this is where bottomline matters.
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by fakecd
no offence but MH Y with other airline OWE is almost as good as mr nobody no?chow cheap can MH Y is compared to QF kangaroo route not to mention what good do these OWE do for QF who fly MH

i support QF on this one. lets not get started about "OW rules etc etc" this is where bottomline matters.
This has nothing to do with QF's bottomline. If you're OWE flying Y, the access to QF F lounge is paid by the airline that gave OWE status, not QF.

At the end of the day, it's just QF prioritizing their own passengers who're flying QF metal and that of their contracted airlines, which is what a sensible airline would do to protect its own passengers' experience.
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
30 Countries Visited40 Nights2M15 Years on Site

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Plat.
At the end of the day, it's just QF prioritizing their own passengers who're flying QF metal and that of their contracted airlines, which is what a sensible airline would do to protect its own passengers' experience.
This is correct, if Qantas determines there may be overcrowding in their First Lounge they often do this.
This has nothing to do with QF's bottomline. If you're OWE flying Y, the access to QF F lounge is paid by the airline that gave OWE status, not QF.
Actually, the default oneworld agreement is that the Marketing carrier pays for such lounge access. Carriers within oneworld may vary this with their own separate agreements but I am pretty sure with QF jilting MH for EK last decade, QF and MH would not have such.

In which case, Qantas were forgoing revenue from MH in denying you access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.