Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Privilege Club
Did anyone run into problems with baggage allowance? I'm looking at the following itin:
MXP-ZRH-LAX on LX
SFO-AKL // AKL-ICN on NZ
ICN-MUC-MXP on LH

LX and LH allow 2x32kg and NZ 3x23kg. My understanding is that the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) rule applies which would make LX the MSC for the outbound journey (since ZRH-LAX is the first flight crossing from one IATA region into the next) and LH for the inbound as AKL-ICN on NZ is within the same IATA region (and ICN-MUC is the first crossing). Airline is saying that each carrier's rules apply for each segment? So I would only be able to take 2x23kg along in order to not break the rules...
Old Jan 17, 2023, 4:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lucasw
Did anyone run into problems with baggage allowance? I'm looking at the following itin:
MXP-ZRH-LAX on LX
SFO-AKL // AKL-ICN on NZ
ICN-MUC-MXP on LH

LX and LH allow 2x32kg and NZ 3x23kg. My understanding is that the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) rule applies which would make LX the MSC for the outbound journey (since ZRH-LAX is the first flight crossing from one IATA region into the next) and LH for the inbound as AKL-ICN on NZ is within the same IATA region (and ICN-MUC is the first crossing). Airline is saying that each carrier's rules apply for each segment? So I would only be able to take 2x23kg along in order to not break the rules...
My understanding of MSC is that it applies to each part of the itinerary, not the itinerary as a whole. For example, if you were to fly CDG-xZRH-LAX and the baggage allowances were different for each of the two flights, the allowance for ZRH-LAX would in fact apply to both flights. For your next part or journey of the itinerary, the same thing applies.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lucasw
MXP-ZRH-LAX on LX
SFO-AKL // AKL-ICN on NZ
ICN-MUC-MXP on LH

You have origin/destination in US. Thus US DOT bag rules govern the entire reservation. The marketing (not operating) carrier of MXP-ZRH rules apply throughout the entire trip.

Note - this is just for the basic cabin allowance. If you have elite status/credit card benefits those don't have to be followed throughout.
lucasw likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:25 pm

United 1K here. For PQP planning, can anyone say how an AC ticket flight on Air New Zealand would be credited for PQPs? It’s hard to discern whether the Air New Zealand legs would be good or crummy for PQP earning.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: QFWP, UA 1k, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Babybluejeans
United 1K here. For PQP planning, can anyone say how an AC ticket flight on Air New Zealand would be credited for PQPs? It’s hard to discern whether the Air New Zealand legs would be good or crummy for PQP earning.
I can't say for an AC ticket but I flew the CDG fare on an LX ticket last year. The NZ flights were J fare bucket and NZ flights numbers. I was credited 1500 PQP each for NZ1/NZ2
Old Jan 22, 2023, 12:31 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by RatherGhastly
Must you have the stop-overs in Vancouver and Tokyo? If you're just after New Zealand, you can get FCO-YVR-AKL-FCO that comes in at €2,908, or, with a stop-over in YVR, just over your limit at €3,019.
Any of you guys or ladies travel agents who could book this for me? I need to get down to akl in February any time, stay for 5 days and return to Rome. Willing to pay for your time to search.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by SQPPS
Any of you guys or ladies travel agents who could book this for me? I need to get down to akl in February any time, stay for 5 days and return to Rome. Willing to pay for your time to search.
The P fare has 10 day minimum stay so you will need to book the Z fare - the base fare is $510 more than the P. Z has a 4 day minimum stay but a 10 day advance purchase.
If you book it yourself there's a good chance you'll end up in AKL .......or an asylum!
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:19 am

Bookable on GoToGate clicking through from ITAMatrix:TRIP 1
Tuesday 07 Feb
Business

Lufthansa
LH7617
Operated by United Airlines
09:55 AMFCO Rome Fiumicino

Rome

‪10h‬

01:55 PMEWR New York Newark

New York

‪ 2 × 32kg‬
Overnight stopover: 16h 10min
First

United Airlines
UA1071
06:05 AMEWR New York Newark

New York

‪2h 45min‬

07:50 AMORD Chicago Ohare

Chicago

‪ 2 × 32kg‬
+1Wednesday 08 Feb

TRIP 2
Wednesday 08 Feb
Business

Air New Zealand
NZ27
07:00 PMORD Chicago Ohare

Chicago

‪16h 30min‬

06:30 AM+2AKL Auckland

Auckland

‪ 2 × 32kg‬
+2Friday 10 Feb

TRIP 3
Wednesday 15 Feb
Business

Air New Zealand
NZ26
08:15 PMAKL Auckland

Auckland

‪14h 45min‬

04:00 PMORD Chicago Ohare

Chicago

‪ 3 × 23kg‬TRIP 4
Wednesday 15 Feb
Business

Swiss
LX9
07:10 PMORD Chicago Ohare

Chicago

‪8h 40min‬

10:50 AM+1ZRH Zurich

Zurich

‪ 3 × 23kg‬
Stop: 1h 35min
Business

Swiss
LX1736
Operated by Air Baltic
12:25 PMZRH Zurich

Zurich

‪1h 35min‬

02:00 PMFCO Rome Fiumicino

Rome

‪ 3 × 23kg‬
+1Thursday 16 FebHurry! Only 2 seats at this price!
    Please note that your trip continues the next day. Should you need accommodation in New York, it will be at your own expense.
‪US$3,700.30‬
Price per adult
Book
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:14 am

These are bookable on AmEx as a multi city trip, either with cash or Member Reward points . If you have AmEx business platinum card and use your member reward points you will get a 35% rebate
  1. We spent 682k points last week for 2 of us on the trip, and got back 238k points as a rebate. Of our of pocket was $500.
  2. Basically we got this trip for $2500 us per person, based on .01/point valuation.
  3. Mxp-muc-clt in March lufthansa
  4. Clt-lax-akl Oct for two weeks as/air nz
  5. Akl-sin 3 days Singapore air
  6. Sin-,zrh-,mxp swiss sir
gsalem94122 and hellointer like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Did you selected United as the airline? For below flights, do they show up on Amex Travel portal as UA operated by Luthansa, Air NZ, Singapore Air? TIA.

Originally Posted by bdsklar
These are bookable on AmEx as a multi city trip, either with cash or Member Reward points . If you have AmEx business platinum card and use your member reward points you will get a 35% rebate
  1. We spent 682k points last week for 2 of us on the trip, and got back 238k points as a rebate. Of our of pocket was $500.
  2. Basically we got this trip for $2500 us per person, based on .01/point valuation.
  3. Mxp-muc-clt in March lufthansa
  4. Clt-lax-akl Oct for two weeks as/air nz
  5. Akl-sin 3 days Singapore air
  6. Sin-,zrh-,mxp swiss sir
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by leeflyer
Did you selected United as the airline? For below flights, do they show up on Amex Travel portal as UA operated by Lufthansa, Air NZ, Singapore Air? TIA.
It booked via Lufthansa actually on AmEx. I have a PNR for LH, one for the AA flight, and one for teh NZ flight.

However I was stupid...with this many points, should have booked ANA first class for 200K points transferred for each person to ANA, could have flown out of USA on RTW trip instead of out of ITaly.
sam lewis71 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bdsklar
It booked via Lufthansa actually on AmEx. I have a PNR for LH, one for the AA flight, and one for teh NZ flight.

However I was stupid...with this many points, should have booked ANA first class for 200K points transferred for each person to ANA, could have flown out of USA on RTW trip instead of out of ITaly.
Yeah but you would have had at least $700pp in fees and ANA F is a bit of a pipe dream right now with the limited availability, NZ J is rarely available as a partner award, and LH group have huge YQ on award tickets through ANA. I would say that is a pretty good use of MR points. Plus you can always earn more MR but the ones you already have aren't worth anything until you go and use them. 1.5 cpp for MR is pretty decent all things considered.
jcturnbull likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:38 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Being a traditional OW flyer I hadn't seen this yet. Bookmarking to read 23 pages tomorrow after work!

Would it be feasible to go Europe (anywhere) - Asia (transit only) - AKL - North America - back to Europe? Most of the itineraries I've seen are going the opposite direction.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:07 am

I see this for the dates that I need on GF, and it leads me to book with United. But booking invariably fails at the last step with "unknown error, call the number". Any ideas of how to handle this would be appreciated.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
I hope to book this with a late Jan 2024 final leg. That should be available soon (if the fares continue).

Are the only start cities FCO, MXP, and AMS? Has anyone seen others at such discounts?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.