Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by lucasw
Does anyone still see a way to get this fare for ~EUR 2.7k (given booking class availability)?
For a "full" round-the-world trip rather than just via the U.S., here's one for ~EUR 2.85k:

I found this via the Google Chrome extension for Old ITA Matrix->Momondo.no->Expedia.it. Another possibility is Old ITA Matrix->Skyscanner.mx->Expedia.mx.
markmho, lucasw and jeroen100 like this.

Last edited by starwarsgeek8; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:01 am Reason: added another possible booking path
Old Oct 20, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by starwarsgeek8
At that price at this point I can find only quite simple itineraries, e.g. MXP-ORD-AKL-ORD-MXP [I used the Google Chrome app and Old ITA Matrix to click through to momondo.se and then expedia.it]

For a little bit more, you can do a genuine round-the-world trip, at least on Old ITA Matrix:

The trouble seems to be getting these more complex itineraries to price out on reputable online travel agencies. All I could get for this one, for instance, was Old ITA Matrix->Skyscanner.se->flygcity.se and Old ITA Matrix->Momondo.nl->travelfrom.nl, but I have no idea how reputable those OTAs are. They could be fly-by-night shops that don't have access to live inventory and show old cached data.
That's great work here, how did you find the days and city? I am interested to see whether I could find an itinerary and day that works for our family!
Old Oct 21, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1k
I'm struggling with ITA Matrix on this one. When I try to route the return flight through, say, SIN, it ALSO forces the outbound through SIN as well. I tried both old and new matrix being careful to set the routing code only for the return. I also tried splitting it into flights and the same thing happens. Ironically the "default" return is already through Singapore so adding the routing code for the return shouldn't change anything but it sure does. Is this a bug or am I missing something ? Thanks !!
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Some of the D/Z class fares are pricing out directly on the Lufthansa website.

There are some mixed P and D/Z class fares as well:

These were accessed by finding the dates on Old ITA Matrix, then using the Google Chrome extension to click through to momondo.dk, which provided direct links to Lufthansa.com.
I haven't yet been able to get the P class fares to price out on the Lufthansa site yet. Again, there is less availability for "true" round-the-world routings.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro

These were accessed by finding the dates on Old ITA Matrix, then using the Google Chrome extension to click through to momondo.dk, which provided direct links to Lufthansa.com.
I haven't yet been able to get the P class fares to price out on the Lufthansa site yet. Again, there is less availability for "true" round-the-world routings.

I know that with such a good fare you don't have to look for the hair in the soup, but don't forget: NZ business class is bad (in my eyes) and LH business class is absolutely disastrous. Therefore it's worth it to invest some time in research to get this fare routed on AC, SQ, UA, (eventually LX / OS) etc., even if it might be a few 100s more expensive.

You will otherwise think of me the first time you are awakened by your neighbor's knees (LH) or feel reminded of a cheap hostel (NZ).

LH Business Class in the 747-400 with the super weird middle seat...

NZ 787-900 Business class
Forrest Bump likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
I know that with such a good fare you don't have to look for the hair in the soup, but don't forget: NZ business class is bad (in my eyes) and LH business class is absolutely disastrous. Therefore it's worth it to invest some time in research to get this fare routed on AC, SQ, UA, (eventually LX / OS) etc., even if it might be a few 100s more expensive.

You will otherwise think of me the first time you are awakened by your neighbor's knees (LH) or feel reminded of a cheap hostel (NZ).

NZ 787-900 Business class
I cannot get over how insane the NZ J cabin looks no matter how many times I see it.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by plas
I cannot get over how insane the NZ J cabin looks no matter how many times I see it.
They are very community spirited in NZ
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I got on this deal with a EU-North America (first), NA-NZ (business), Australia-NA (first), NA-EU (first) ticket thanks to the great help from nufnuf77 , for about 5K USD. 3 legs in First made it justifiable for me
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k / Marriott Plat

Thanks for this tip, no easy feat but got a few things to finally price out with this method, however no luck so far with extended stopover routings…

Agree that the Air NZ cabin looks wild, and it definitely needs an upgrade, but flew it for the first time a couple months ago on one of these fares and did get some amazing sleep, above average meals (Polaris being my average is a low bar of course) and very attentive FAs.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Are these tickets changeable?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Alright, first time butting into this thread, because I just stumbled upon it.

Couple of general Qs:

1) Don’t care where in Europe I start (MXP would be ideal, but whatever, this is why LCCs exist) is MXP still good?

2) Does it matter if flying East or West from Europe?

3) A stop in AKL is de rigeur, for more than one reason, but can I also have a stop in HNL and another N. America stop? Or do the rules not permit more than one stop in USA/N. America?

4) And finally, has anyone even attempted to book this for next summer, 2023? The GF is a prof, and she gets the whole summer off. This would be an awesome present.

5) What’s the best OTA? I’m thinking of using a traditional human TA which I never use, but I thought to at least have something for them to reference.

Thank you all for your research!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by notsosmart
Alright, first time butting into this thread, because I just stumbled upon it.

Couple of general Qs:

1) Don’t care where in Europe I start (MXP would be ideal, but whatever, this is why LCCs exist) is MXP still good?

2) Does it matter if flying East or West from Europe?

3) A stop in AKL is de rigeur, for more than one reason, but can I also have a stop in HNL and another N. America stop? Or do the rules not permit more than one stop in USA/N. America?

4) And finally, has anyone even attempted to book this for next summer, 2023? The GF is a prof, and she gets the whole summer off. This would be an awesome present.

5) What’s the best OTA? I’m thinking of using a traditional human TA which I never use, but I thought to at least have something for them to reference.

Thank you all for your research!
1. MXP seems to work

2. I believe you should be able to fly either direction

3. Fare rules specify one stopover in either direction

4. It is available for next summer (see the following screenshots)

5. You may not need to use an OTA - I was able to book directly with UA on United.com and I believe there have been those who have booked directly with an LX group carrier

ITA Matrix Example

Westward Itinerary
jfkeze, pretzlaff, markmho and 2 others like this.

Last edited by nickohrn; Nov 9, 2022 at 2:35 am Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
So are Americans doing positioning flights to Europe to take advantage of this fare?

Hmm that's over a 2 month itinerary, not including positioning flights. So the savings on airfare will be used up for lodging.

And then some.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by frappant
So are Americans doing positioning flights to Europe to take advantage of this fare?

Hmm that's over a 2 month itinerary, not including positioning flights. So the savings on airfare will be used up for lodging.

And then some.
Personally, I booked an award ticket to London, spent five days there, and then flew to Paris to start the itinerary. I'm stopping over in my home city until I start a 13 day New Zealand trip. I'll then stop over at my home city for another five months before returning to Europe and flying from Paris to Poland to see the sights there before returning home on another award itinerary.

For me, the big draw was getting to New Zealand in business class without paying what is usually charged for ex-USA fares or waiting for nearly non-existent award space to open up on dates that I'd prefer. $3,000 isn't nothing, but it got me back and forth to Europe in addition to getting me to New Zealand. I'll take it.

If you choose to do the RTW, you obviously need different considerations, but it can certainly be worth it.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 2:56 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by nickohrn
1. MXP seems to work

2. I believe you should be able to fly either direction

3. Fare rules specify one stopover in either direction

4. It is available for next summer (see the following screenshots)

5. You may not need to use an OTA - I was able to book directly with UA on United.com and I believe there have been those who have booked directly with an LX group carrier

ITA Matrix Example

Westward Itinerary
Do you know if there is any other city allowed by fare rules to do the 2+ weeks stopover? Can imagine many more countries to spend the 2+ weeks in having visited NZ pre-covid...

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.