Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Star Alliance: CDG-North America-Auckland-Asia-CDG 2735€ biz

Old Nov 17, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: AC75 MM
You can route to AKL non-stop on AC from YVR
I booked CDG-YVR (stop 6 weeks), YVR-AKL (stop 6 weeks), AKL-YVR (stop 3 months), YVR-CDG for €4500, basically creating, from our home in YVR, a long vacation in New Zealand as well as a return to Europe next Spring, with positioning flights from an already planned November vacation where I currently am. So not a MR, just a great way to travel up front to places we wanted to go to anyway.

The YVR-AKL-YVR legs are on AC non-stop 789's. Their business cabin is excellent. I've also flown that route on ANZ, and although agree the layout is weird, I found the service better than AC and was equally satisfied, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Last edited by tomvancouver; Nov 17, 2022 at 9:28 am
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:36 am

Do you have any idea if any combination of flights Europe-YVR-AKL-YVR-Europe is still available? I've been trying to play around with dates to see if anything works but haven't had any luck so far.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by rex5
Do you have any idea if any combination of flights Europe-YVR-AKL-YVR-Europe is still available? I've been trying to play around with dates to see if anything works but haven't had any luck so far.
Up-thread it was noted that around Labour day some, but not all, of these deals stopped. Sorry, I haven't tried searching again recently, but when I last looked (in October) for my booked dates (starting November) the price had gone up a bit. It may have since gone, I guess.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:27 am

I played around with this a bit, for March in New Zealand with AC non-stop for the YVR-AKL-YVR legs and maybe this would work? €5,275
Old Nov 18, 2022, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
I played around with this a bit, for March in New Zealand with AC non-stop for the YVR-AKL-YVR legs and maybe this would work? €5,275
I'm not sure if you need to depart from Madrid, but a departure from MXP would save you a considerable amount of money.

NZ for the TPAC legs is 2917.39EUR:

You should be able to find dates that allow you to fly AC on the TPAC legs, but I didn't specifically look for them because I tried to match your dates as closely as I could.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by nickohrn
I'm not sure if you need to depart from Madrid, but a departure from MXP would save you a considerable amount of money.

NZ for the TPAC legs is 2917.39EUR:

You should be able to find dates that allow you to fly AC on the TPAC legs, but I didn't specifically look for them because I tried to match your dates as closely as I could.
Thanks for that, as far as I can see, forcing YVR-AKL on AC's nonstop appears to push the price up to around €5,100 (also from MXP). When I booked our trip, for the TPAC I could have saved about €1,000 by flying ANZ with stop overs in SFO, which for logistic reasons we wanted to avoid.

My dates in this example were arbitrarily based on 747jetter's question up-thread. I'll leave them to search further for specific dates suitable, and would be interested to hear if it works out OK.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I keep thinking about this fare daily, and daily the fare buckets around my dates are filling up. It would probably be best to s*** or get off the pot, but it’s still hard to plan so far in advance right now (a June/July). All I have thus far are a pair of saver tix to MXP on UA, and that took two hours on the phone with an extremely helpful UA agent because finding saver awards to Europe in summer is like winning the Powerball. Not bloody likely.

Is it wrong to not want to fly paid UA J and instead opting for LH or LH instead?
I haven’t flown LH J in ages, for example, but I already know that it’s bound to be better than whatever UA offers up-front, for example. Or would I be wrong to think so? Is Polaris, or whatever, up to par with foreign flag carriers’ pointy end product nowadays?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I haven’t been anywhere special since way before COVID, so even though I have way over 1 million butt-in-seat miles, ten thousand IND-EWR legs hardly constitutes “real” flying.
Antonio8069 and Revenge like this.

Last edited by notsosmart; Nov 19, 2022 at 8:19 am
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by nikkiscores
Hi all,

Just wanted to give mad props to nufnuf77 who managed to book me the fare from ITA that no one else seemed to be able to access! Plus he ran through some alt scenarios and even managed to get a slightly better price! Thanks, nufnuf77 for helping a newb out!
Thank you so much for including me in your first ever FT post!!!
Old Nov 20, 2022, 3:30 am

LX

Originally Posted by notsosmart
I keep thinking about this fare daily, and daily the fare buckets around my dates are filling up. It would probably be best to s*** or get off the pot, but it’s still hard to plan so far in advance right now (a June/July). All I have thus far are a pair of saver tix to MXP on UA, and that took two hours on the phone with an extremely helpful UA agent because finding saver awards to Europe in summer is like winning the Powerball. Not bloody likely.

Is it wrong to not want to fly paid UA J and instead opting for LH or LH instead?
I haven’t flown LH J in ages, for example, but I already know that it’s bound to be better than whatever UA offers up-front, for example. Or would I be wrong to think so? Is Polaris, or whatever, up to par with foreign flag carriers’ pointy end product nowadays?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I haven’t been anywhere special since way before COVID, so even though I have way over 1 million butt-in-seat miles, ten thousand IND-EWR legs hardly constitutes “real” flying.
I am actively avoiding LH, so cant talk about them, but LX is a very good product. It is not QSuites or Delta One, but I would never hesitate to fly them.
notsosmart, Bohemian1 and kindagot like this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M, VA Flying Club
Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK then pray that there will be no schedule change or cancellation and need to rebook and cancel/refund. You will be screwed by GotoGate; amoung the worst OTA.
Ha ha, yes I booked with them. I know my schedule changed 4 months ago but they've only just notified me and told me my only option is to accept the schedule change, no option for refund (which is just pure rubbish) or alternative flights. They have given me until today to respond to them but I'm not even going to pick up the phone as 8-9 months ago I tried to change my itinerary and spent days on the phone with no answer. I'm due to travel 19th Jan CDG-MUC-SFO | HNL-AKL | SYD-HND-FRA-CDG
Old Nov 27, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Currybelly
Ha ha, yes I booked with them. I know my schedule changed 4 months ago but they've only just notified me and told me my only option is to accept the schedule change, no option for refund (which is just pure rubbish) or alternative flights. They have given me until today to respond to them but I'm not even going to pick up the phone as 8-9 months ago I tried to change my itinerary and spent days on the phone with no answer. I'm due to travel 19th Jan CDG-MUC-SFO | HNL-AKL | SYD-HND-FRA-CDG
I had a similar issue with Expedia as couldn’t find the fare elsewhere. Couldn’t get any progress for an involuntary schedule change so kept calling LH and eventually one of the agents just processed the change for me. Fingers crossed there aren’t anymore changes though!
Currybelly likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 8:18 pm

I have managed to book one Ex LIN(Milan)

Jan, LIN-FRA-SEA (LH)
Jan LAX-AKL (NZ)
Feb AKL-ICN (NZ)
----------------
Aug ICN-FRA-MUC-PMO (LH)

All LH booked into P, All NZ booked into J

papa+Juliet combination yields the cheapest fare of EUR2388.
Don;t expect to get any miles out of papa but lucky me based in NZ+Korea these credited to NZ airpoints will give me about NZD600 of airpoints dollars which I can use easily

I managed to book SV's dirt cheap Y $600 R/t for ICN-EUR-ICN flights

SEA-LAX surface sector will be covered by Amtrak's Coast starlight.

It took me about 2 weeks of search to find this itinerary. I wasn't able to find J in SEA-AKL, plus NZ's J in 12hrs+ flights won't be comfortable.

I intentionally chose LIN as first leg as it saves me on tax(not a lot ~EUR20) plus it gives me 2+hrs layover to enjoy a morning beer of two?

And for the last leg of ICN-FRA-MUC-PMO, adding MUC yields ~EUR100 less than ICN-FRA-PMO//ICN-MUC-PMO due to routing rule on PNCIA

I'm sure most of you will know how to search an availability of a specific fare bucket on ITA but will include here for anyone who is struggling.

Search for a "ONEWAY" on a specific ciry pair, (i.e. LAX-AKL)

"Routing Code" O:NZ or C:NZ (O stands for Operating airlines while C specifies marketing airlines) for any NZ operated direct flights between LAX-AKL
"Extension Codes" F bc=j (Only show if J bucket available)

"See calendar of lowest fares"

any dates shown will have at least 1J.

Click on the date you want to double check its fare bucket of J

and you would repeat this through your itinerary.

* NOTE, even if it shows on ITA doesn't mean that it is available. If someone builds itinerary and pulls one out from that bucket, then It won't show till payment deadline. So If you want, try Experflyer to search for a seat availability. and go for 2+ seats to be safe.
luist, jfkeze, gsalem94122 and 8 others like this.

Last edited by mymoga; Dec 4, 2022 at 5:34 pm Reason: adding images
Old Dec 6, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k / Marriott Plat
Apologies I'm unable to post links or images, but FYI this fare is still trucking and I was finally able to get another to ticket out on Amex portal. Happy to have my 1K spend finally sorted...

12/10 LIN - LAX
12/21 ORD - AKL
12/25 AKL - SIN
9/18 BKK - MXP

TOTAL - $3,603

Guess I'm headed to Milan tomorrow for some x-mas shopping!
nickohrn likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
I've been lurking on the thread since day one as I'm planning a fall 23 trip to New Zealand ... and very pleased to see that the fare is still alive. I've absolutely noted that it is hard to find and have already spent some hours on Matrix but would appreciate some tips on 'date searching'.

In simple terms, I am looking for a set of flights that roughly meets this routing in October/November 2023. [Here is an example that is close - but is September slightly above budget https://www.google.com/travel/flight...qjb7Kjwckr26V7 ]

Milan - YVR (one week) - AKL (two to three weeks) - TYO (one week) - MIL

I'm looking to get something that falls into the under EUR3k limit (there are two of us) and if that's achievable I'll then look to optimise each leg (eg timings, carrier, stops).

Where I am struggling is the use of Matrix multi-leg tool because really what I want is a calendar view and not have to input set dates for each of the legs. Is there anyway to shorten the laborious change each day process?
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:24 am

Must you have the stop-overs in Vancouver and Tokyo? If you're just after New Zealand, you can get FCO-YVR-AKL-FCO that comes in at €2,908, or, with a stop-over in YVR, just over your limit at €3,019.
SavvyTravel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.