Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM : BCN - GRU $1200-$1400 RT Business (I Class)

AM : BCN - GRU $1200-$1400 RT Business (I Class)

Old Jan 9, 22, 11:00 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: VIE/PRG
Programs: FB Platinum, A3 Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 1,273
Originally Posted by more4less View Post
I am staying 3/4 days in Mex before flying to São Paulo, will I need to show an antigen test at check in @ Bcn? It does not make much sense because it would not be valid for my onward connection to Gru, but would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
No test needed as your final destination is MEX in this case and Mexico does not require anything.
747jetter is offline  
Old Jan 9, 22, 11:21 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by 747jetter View Post
No test needed as your final destination is MEX in this case and Mexico does not require anything.
Thanks 747jetter, but I am actually flying to São Paulo 3/4 days after landing in Mex, so the final destination of my ticket is Brasil
more4less is offline  
Old Jan 9, 22, 12:27 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Netherlands - AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by more4less View Post
Thanks 747jetter, but I am actually flying to São Paulo 3/4 days after landing in Mex, so the final destination of my ticket is Brasil
You have an actual stopover in MEX on the ticket, so your first 'destination' is MEX. The check-in agent will see MEX as destination and will check you on the MEX entry requirements. That is different from the stopovers under 24 hours, which count as transit. In this situation, the agent will check you on the GRU entry requirements.

So no test needed in your case.
more4less, jonapet89 and PanAmSam like this.
danfl44 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 22, 12:33 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Netherlands - AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat View Post
This is really useful. Thanks! I don't suppose you'd have any recommendations for where to stay when overnighting in MEX? I'm debating the capsule hotel or paying the extra $60 and staying at the onsite Hilton.
No real recommendations for this. I decided on staying in the city - it is a cheap and quick Uber away. Stayed in a hostel in the historical centre that I always really enjoy, and had more than enough time for a nice evening walk and some good dinner, and in the morning a beautiful sunrise and breakfast. My favorite neighborhood is probably Roma, a little bit further away but great restaurants and nightlife.

Personally, I think staying in the terminal is not worth it, there is more than enough time for some fun in CDMX with the timings of the Air France flight
Airborne Brat likes this.
danfl44 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 22, 2:16 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by danfl44 View Post
No real recommendations for this. I decided on staying in the city - it is a cheap and quick Uber away. Stayed in a hostel in the historical centre that I always really enjoy, and had more than enough time for a nice evening walk and some good dinner, and in the morning a beautiful sunrise and breakfast. My favorite neighborhood is probably Roma, a little bit further away but great restaurants and nightlife.

Personally, I think staying in the terminal is not worth it, there is more than enough time for some fun in CDMX with the timings of the Air France flight
Absolutely agree. Also the Hilton inside the airport, unless it has been renovated recently, which I doubt, it is quite bad
Airborne Brat likes this.
more4less is offline  
Old Jan 9, 22, 2:36 pm
  #36  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Marriott Gold, Caesar’s Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by danfl44 View Post
No real recommendations for this. I decided on staying in the city - it is a cheap and quick Uber away. Stayed in a hostel in the historical centre that I always really enjoy, and had more than enough time for a nice evening walk and some good dinner, and in the morning a beautiful sunrise and breakfast. My favorite neighborhood is probably Roma, a little bit further away but great restaurants and nightlife.

Personally, I think staying in the terminal is not worth it, there is more than enough time for some fun in CDMX with the timings of the Air France flight
Originally Posted by more4less View Post
Absolutely agree. Also the Hilton inside the airport, unless it has been renovated recently, which I doubt, it is quite bad
Good to know it's an avoidable hotel. I'll go explore Mexico City instead now I just need to decide on the IC or Hilton in SP.
Airborne Brat is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 12:45 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Posts: 1,254
I know some of you have already done this as well as SAT-MEX-MAD/BCN, so ....

I am looking for advice on when/what/where tests I should be getting for the following trip.
1/23 Test in Michigan (what type needed for entry to Spain) I could do test in MEX on 1/24. I should probably do both
If I do test in MEX on 1/24, would it be valid to get me into Spain and also into Brazil (flight takes off 1/26, but MEX-GRU is on 1/27)?
Can do test in GRU 1/28 to get into CDG/BCN 1/30
Test in MEX on 1/29 or 2/1 to get back into US on 2/1

DTW-SAT 1/23 9PM-11:30PM

SAT-MEX 1/24 1:15PM-3:25PM
MEX-MAD 1/24 7:10PM-1:00PM (1/25)
MAD-BCN 1/25 3:10PM-4:30PM

BCN-CDG 1/26 6PM-8PM
CDG-MEX 1/26 11PM-4:25AM (1/27)
MEX-GRU 1/27 10:15AM -11PM


GRU-MEX 1/29 9:55AM-4:15PM
MEX-CDG 1/29 10:45PM-4:25PM (1/30)
CDG-BCN 1/30 9:05PM-10:55PM

BCN-MAD 1/31 8:30PM-10PM
MAD-MEX 1/31 11:20PM-4:45AM (2/1)
MEX-SAT 2/1 9:50AM-12:00PM

SAT-DTW 2/1 3:30PM-7:30PM
MarkCron is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 2:29 pm
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Marriott Gold, Caesar’s Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
I know some of you have already done this as well as SAT-MEX-MAD/BCN, so ....

I am looking for advice on when/what/where tests I should be getting for the following trip.
1/23 Test in Michigan (what type needed for entry to Spain) I could do test in MEX on 1/24. I should probably do both
If I do test in MEX on 1/24, would it be valid to get me into Spain and also into Brazil (flight takes off 1/26, but MEX-GRU is on 1/27)?
Can do test in GRU 1/28 to get into CDG/BCN 1/30
Test in MEX on 1/29 or 2/1 to get back into US on 2/1

DTW-SAT 1/23 9PM-11:30PM

SAT-MEX 1/24 1:15PM-3:25PM
MEX-MAD 1/24 7:10PM-1:00PM (1/25)
MAD-BCN 1/25 3:10PM-4:30PM

BCN-CDG 1/26 6PM-8PM
CDG-MEX 1/26 11PM-4:25AM (1/27)
MEX-GRU 1/27 10:15AM -11PM


GRU-MEX 1/29 9:55AM-4:15PM
MEX-CDG 1/29 10:45PM-4:25PM (1/30)
CDG-BCN 1/30 9:05PM-10:55PM

BCN-MAD 1/31 8:30PM-10PM
MAD-MEX 1/31 11:20PM-4:45AM (2/1)
MEX-SAT 2/1 9:50AM-12:00PM

SAT-DTW 2/1 3:30PM-7:30PM
You won't need a test to enter Mexico or Spain. So my understanding of French airside transfers per the Paris airport website is that you will need to get your first covid test at BCN due to Brazil requiring it. You'll then need an additional test taken at MAD to reenter the US. This is assuming you are vaccinated, of course.The Brazilian test needs to be a 72 hour or sooner PCR and the US test can be PCR or antigen and 24 hours prior to departure.
MarkCron likes this.
Airborne Brat is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 2:33 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Silver
Posts: 180
@MarkCron Nice MR
MarkCron likes this.
Fes426 is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 2:56 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat View Post
You won't need a test to enter Mexico or Spain. So my understanding of French airside transfers per the Paris airport website is that you will need to get your first covid test at BCN due to Brazil requiring it. You'll then need an additional test taken at MAD to reenter the US. This is assuming you are vaccinated, of course.The Brazilian test needs to be a 72 hour or sooner PCR and the US test can be PCR or antigen and 24 hours prior to departure.
That is really good to know I will not need test to enter Spain. Thank you for the reply!
MarkCron is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 3:47 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: LHR / BHX / MAN / ATL
Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Posts: 3,935
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat View Post
Good to know it's an avoidable hotel. I'll go explore Mexico City instead now I just need to decide on the IC or Hilton in SP.
I highly recommend the IC in GRU. I had the best, most personalized service there of any IC I've stayed at. Every time I came thru the lobby, I was greeted by name. Added bonus - the IC is in a great area within walking distance to lots of restaurants.
Airborne Brat likes this.
ecaarch is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 5:22 pm
  #42  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 15,284
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat View Post
Good to know it's an avoidable hotel. I'll go explore Mexico City instead now I just need to decide on the IC or Hilton in SP.
Forget the Hilton, unless there's a particular reason you need the Morumbi location, a good 10 km from downtown.

The IC is far nicer hotel, certainly a grade up from the Hilton, and just a block down from Paulista. A bonus is it's on the route of the airport bus, and a Metro station is only a block or so away. You might need Ambassador membership to be sure of an upgrade. Of course the Hilton would give you lounge and breakfast as a Diamond, but the lounge is rough compared to the one at the IC. i don't know the IC policy of giving lounge access below Royal Ambassador level, but it's a delightful space, certainly worth asking about and maybe considering an upsell for a least one night.
MarkCron likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 5:40 pm
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Marriott Gold, Caesar’s Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Forget the Hilton, unless there's a particular reason you need the Morumbi location, a good 10 km from downtown.

The IC is far nicer hotel, certainly a grade up from the Hilton, and just a block down from Paulista. A bonus is it's on the route of the airport bus, and a Metro station is only a block or so away. You might need Ambassador membership to be sure of an upgrade. Of course the Hilton would give you lounge and breakfast as a Diamond, but the lounge is rough compared to the one at the IC. i don't know the IC policy of giving lounge access below Royal Ambassador level, but it's a delightful space, certainly worth asking about and maybe considering an upsell for a least one night.
Thank you for all the extra detail. I'm only a Spire and I'll be losing that when they stop extending me since I've focused on Hilton more recently but I'll have to see what they are willing to do because I now really want to experience this lounge. I already have a very affordable reservation at the IC that I got back in November through a company rate though the upgrade potential in comparison to the Hilton was what was making me lean towards canceling and booking a suite at the Hilton to try to get a presidential suite upgrade.

I'll have to look into the airport bus because I was just considering asking the hotel to book me a car so I wouldn't have to figure out the transportation system but if it's super easy then why not save there too
Airborne Brat is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 6:18 pm
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Posts: 15,284
Originally Posted by Airborne Brat View Post
I'll have to look into the airport bus because I was just considering asking the hotel to book me a car so I wouldn't have to figure out the transportation system but if it's super easy then why not save there too
Easy it might be, but i think the frequency as been cut quite drastically https://www.airportbusservice.com.br...or%C3%A1rios-1

Hotel cars will be expensive. The airport taxi service isn't cheap, but it should easily beat the hotels rate. The taxi system is simple, tell them at the desk where you want to go, buy a ticket, and you have your taxi. There's really no need to tip (though they won't refuse )

I'd forget about Hilton presidential suites! The only Morumbi thing I can think of that might carry the vaguest interest for a tourist is Ayrton Senna's grave.
Airborne Brat likes this.
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 10, 22, 9:06 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Netherlands - AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 169
It is definitely important to stay in the right area to properly enjoy São Paulo (which is, in my opinion, a great city).

I would suggest either around Paulista avenue or within Vila Madalena/some good part of Pinheiros. This whole area is easy to cover by Uber. I especially enjoyed staying within Vila Madalena, a very safe, lively and relaxed area full of great restaurants, bars, nightlife and nice street art. Can't comment on points hotels.

I would suggest Uber for getting around. A Uber from GRU is very easy and cheap (the airport wifi works perfectly fine if you don't have data), and within the city it often is only marginally more expensive then public transport for shorter distances.
danfl44 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread