Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oneworld: UL: DXB-CGK in J, $800 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 11:24 pm

That's remarkable - you managed to get them to book flights which are 3x the distance of the obvious alternative!
Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by stargold
That's remarkable - you managed to get them to book flights which are 3x the distance of the obvious alternative!

Remarkable indeed - even if it's their own metal to Doha, last minute space on Qatar DOH CGK will cost them something like ten times the price of buying a seat on Malaysia's KUL CGK service.

...and we 're talking about an airline that tried to deny me ground transport between DXB and AUH after they cancelled my direct CMB AUH flight
SPN Lifer and AurelAF96 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 5:15 am

Programs: Life
Doubt these are as simple trsnsactions as UL paying QR with the UL credit card. These tickets are on "contra" basis. However Your ground transportation is out of pocket for UL.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gogooo
Doubt these are as simple trsnsactions as UL paying QR with the UL credit card. These tickets are on "contra" basis. However Your ground transportation is out of pocket for UL.
I'm sure it is contra, but I can't see QR adding much to balance Sri Lankan's debits.

Rescuing passenger from the cancellations must have turned Sri Lankan's accounts with Qatar, Malaysia and Etihad the deepest of reds.

UL's Abu Dhabi station cut through the taxi nonsense coming from Colombo by sending a car to transfer me home from DXB.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: Life
Suspect QR and EY due to overbookings and missed connections from doh/auh. MH hardly helps with rebooking on other carriers. Again the auh office just used an existing vendor contract to get u from dxb. I found it hard with any airline to get out of pocket reimbursements. Suppose they only have incoming facility.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Rescuing passenger from the cancellations must have turned Sri Lankan's accounts with Qatar, Malaysia and Etihad the deepest of reds.
If they're going bankrupt (or are already), certainly none of this will help their situation.

Seems rather bizarre to me.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
If they're going bankrupt (or are already), certainly none of this will help their situation.

Seems rather bizarre to me.
The government is going to neutralise the airline's indebtedness if/when the Etihad takeover goes ahead. Maybe that colours the way UL's board faces its current crisis.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:23 am

Next round of discounts; does seem to take off approx. 15% on the classic route:

20% off - Global promotion Terms and Conditions Applicable on Economy and Business Class return tickets from all online points to all online points. Discount 20% discount. Valid for tickets purchased on www.srilankan.com from 24th 26th December 2023. Valid for travel commencement during 1st February 2024 to 30th September 2024. This promo is not applicable for Eco Flex, Biz Semi Flex, and Biz Flex fare families. Blackouts, Inbound travel periods 25th March - 30th April 2024 and 01st July 31st August 2024. Outbound travel periods 25th March - 30th April 2024 and 01st July 31st August 2024.
P.S.: it doesn't show on GF but works fine on the UL homepage.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perisai
Next round of discounts; does seem to take off approx. 15% on the classic route:
This time the headline (20%) discount doesn't apply to the ticket price. It is applied to the 'fare" component. The rather hefty fees, surcharges etc remain unchanged.

The result gives a discounted ticket at AED3375 against the usual lowest price of AED3765, or 725 against 808. Not much better than half the headline discount
Old Dec 24, 2023, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Even so 725 for 560TP is cheap as chips and I have always found the UL crews to be great!

Using this offer to head out to Indonesia in May.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
This time the headline (20%) discount doesn't apply to the ticket price. It is applied to the 'fare" component. The rather hefty fees, surcharges etc remain unchanged.

The result gives a discounted ticket at AED3375 against the usual lowest price of AED3765, or 725 against 808. Not much better than half the headline discount
% of discount is better at other departure points; ex DXB it is about the 15% I've mentioned and it let's one skip the 320 for the redeye flight 🙂
Gazzerg likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by our_kid
Even so 725 for 560TP is cheap as chips and I have always found the UL crews to be great!

Using this offer to head out to Indonesia in May.

Sure, even if you need to add in the costs of getting to Abu Dhabi, hotels and a visa, you can probably do the trip for less than 1,200.

The best trip requiring a pricey dislocation was Malaysia's KL to Ahmedabad, again a long way in a narrow-body, but offering even cheaper chips at 280TPs for 320 round-trip.
(booked 5 day's ago, but i just checked, and it seems to have died)
our_kid likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Has anyone managed a b2b in the new terminal yet?
Jamie, as a heads up I messaged the Sri Lankan location manager that helped sort you out last year. He said there might be a longer walking distance compared to what you could do in the old terminal, but assuming you don't have any checked luggage and if. you can check in online you should be fine. Might give it a go next month....
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ awarty : many thanks for the comprehensive report (#1362) following your recent challenging travels.

Have to say, I dont always have the patience for such lengthy posts, but this was so well-written (and full of interest) that I voraciously consumed every word from start to finish.

Have no idea what you do for a living (and whether or not it involves much in the way of writing) .. but whatever it is, Id happily bet that youre damn good and efficient at it. And whilst I myself have managed (somehow ) to negotiate my way to / through more than one hundred countries using around 85 different airlines, I would sure take a lot of comfort from having you on hand whenever forced to tackle unforeseen messy flight and paperwork complications en route !

A word of appreciation too wrt useful contributions from IAN-UK, thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 4:43 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Jamier45
Has anyone managed a b2b in the new terminal yet?
yep did it last night! Its a breeze other than the walk its super simple. there is no BP check just a quick security screen and then down into the main atrium. At the Gate they printed my boarding passes after showing them a print out of my pdf version one. I expect you can go there even with just a confirmation pass or mobile one too.
I messaged the station manager as I landed asking if I would be ok and he said no problem.
Gazzerg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.