Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: Oneworld, Hilton, IHG
^
Making searches much easier!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
I know I am in the minority on this issue, but I am disappointed with this change. Talkboard members frequently talk about not changing what is not broke. tcook052 did his best to voice his concerns/ideas/thoughts and was largely ignored. Thanks tcook052 for all your efforts.^ That said, I hope the new forum is a success for all (posters/readers,and the mods).
Agreed. It seems there were a few people who knew about the discussion and it was heavily attended by the pro sub-forum crowd. Disappointing there wasn't any outreach to the vast majority of users whether or not they were in favor of it.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by privacylawyer
this new forum will make premium fare searches sooo much easier.
thanks
+1
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Can someone summarize the case against having a subforum for solely premium fares?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
Originally Posted by keitherson
Can someone summarize the case against having a subforum for solely premium fares?
IMHO faster killing of EFs, because it'll be less work for bloggers to get the bare information. Plus no quick warning that a new deal has been posted (only once a day), unlike on a thread like this with instant email warning that something has changed.
These two in combination make a number of members fear that they're going to lose out on the really great deals.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by WolfvanWeen
IMHO faster killing of EFs, because it'll be less work for bloggers to get the bare information. Plus no quick warning that a new deal has been posted (only once a day), unlike on a thread like this with instant email warning that something has changed.
These two in combination make a number of members fear that they're going to lose out on the really great deals.
The error fare business is surely a red herring. If the post is in a format to be of any use to regular users, then it will be easily worked out by the dreaded blogger.

If the post is in the silly codes we see elsewhere, it's not going to be of much use to regular readers. OK, it will be fine for some - which I guess is the point you are making. But the net result would be to exclude the regular reader.

As for the instant emails - well, I for one welcome the cheery updates. I recognise that some will be miffed that the information is being disseminated more widely. But as spreading the word among members is one of the things Flyertalk is all about, I guess our conservatives will have to put up with competition for their honey-pot routes.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The error fare business is surely a red herring. If the post is in a format to be of any use to regular users, then it will be easily worked out by the dreaded blogger. If the post is in the silly codes we see elsewhere, it's not going to be of much use to regular readers. OK, it will be fine for some - which I guess is the point you are making. But the net result would be to exclude the regular reader.
As for the instant emails - well, I for one welcome the cheery updates. I recognise that some will be miffed that the information is being disseminated more widely. But as spreading the word among members is one of the things Flyertalk is all about, I guess our conservatives will have to put up with competition for their honey-pot routes.
I'm confused, where are all the good premium fares going to be from now on?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rob Willett
I'm confused, where are all the good premium fares going to be from now on?
I don't care really about all the stuff going on, I just want some good fares, I have benefited substantially this year, I got a CMB to DFW twice in F for $1700 each time, I got a LHR-KIX on AF in J for $1400 ( I am in Osaka right now ) and I am about to do a YYZ to JNB on AF J for $2400. All as a result of all you good folk here in this forum. So lets get back to the basics, stick to what we do best, this is a great forum for Premium Fares. Is this where it is staying or do I need to subscribe to another forum?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Plus no quick warning that a new deal has been posted (only once a day), unlike on a thread like this with instant email warning that something has changed.
This is a significant loss, granted, however I think having the info disseminated in a clearer more structured way will be an improvement and forums are really about sharing information. If good prices and good routes (without the trickery !!) want to be shared by some only with specific others then surely an open forum isn't the place for it and you'd be better off setting up an email communication between all those who want to share deals more selectively.

IMHO faster killing of EFs,
Tricks and dumps get 'killed' by disseminating the information too openly but good prices & routes don't, they get 'used' until the tickets are all sold.

There is a difference between getting something killed off and the limited supply simply being met by demand !

If a car dealership is offering 10% off on the next 50 cars bought and fifty cars get bought that deal hasn't been killed, just used ! If the car dealership has an error in its online purchase system which is accidentally knocking off 10% and 50 people suddenly take advantage, spiking the orders uncharacteristically, leading the dealership to notice, that's killed the deal / error. Big difference.

When the airlines have priced fares deliberately as sales fares its in order to increase interest, surely, so if people communicate the deal widely amongst each other and people buy those fares & routes until all the tickets are gone that's just a factor of supply & demand working properly isn't it ? Nothing gets killed off, stock just gets bought.

Bit hungover so probably quite rambly
Old Oct 25, 2014, 4:13 am
RNE

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But the net result would be to exclude the regular reader.
Exclusion is FlyerTalk's raison d'être. Founded by and for elites. Awash in equal measures of narcissism and contempt. Populated by effete jerks pathetically scrounging for a leg up on the little guy. "Kettles" we derisively call them. Sometimes worse. Exclusion? Yeah. We got that down pat.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
For those who want instant notification of new threads/thread updates ...

You can use the new sub-forum's RSS feed to get notified of this. The instructions are in this post.

I subscribed using this URL:

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=740
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA G
Mmm that new forum smell.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yeah, this is great.

Now if we could just have a sub-forum for 'Good Deals in Economy'.

What's the diff?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
This is a significant loss, granted, however I think having the info disseminated in a clearer more structured way will be an improvement and forums are really about sharing information. If good prices and good routes (without the trickery !!) want to be shared by some only with specific others then surely an open forum isn't the place for it and you'd be better off setting up an email communication between all those who want to share deals more selectively.

Tricks and dumps get 'killed' by disseminating the information too openly but good prices & routes don't, they get 'used' until the tickets are all sold.

There is a difference between getting something killed off and the limited supply simply being met by demand !

If a car dealership is offering 10% off on the next 50 cars bought and fifty cars get bought that deal hasn't been killed, just used ! If the car dealership has an error in its online purchase system which is accidentally knocking off 10% and 50 people suddenly take advantage, spiking the orders uncharacteristically, leading the dealership to notice, that's killed the deal / error. Big difference.

When the airlines have priced fares deliberately as sales fares its in order to increase interest, surely, so if people communicate the deal widely amongst each other and people buy those fares & routes until all the tickets are gone that's just a factor of supply & demand working properly isn't it ? Nothing gets killed off, stock just gets bought.

Bit hungover so probably quite rambly
I have heard two concerns about the new subforum:

1) People will see mistake fares too easily and they will get used and shut down.
The Subforum was not created for mistake fares. It was created for legitimately offered good deals. The new airline paradigm is fewer elites upgrading and more discounted premium fares. The new subforum responds to this new paradigm by helping Flyertalkers identify those discounted premium fares.

And in any case, bloggers regularly post (and therefore kill) mistake fares anyway. Having them posted in this new forum when they do pop up will not kill them any faster than the bloggers already kill them anyway.

2) People want immediate notification by email when a new post is made regarding premium fares.
Feedly is your friend! See cheltzel's post above @:-)

Weighed against the many pros including search-ability, the ability to discuss the fares rather than having any discussion deleted by moderators as it was in the single thread and the ability to quickly scan the fares rather than digging through a single thread, it is pretty obvious why those of us who spent a few weeks deliberating this new subforum achieved a consensus around creating it.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by hobo13
Yeah, this is great.

Now if we could just have a sub-forum for 'Good Deals in Economy'.

What's the diff?
Here you go!

All good economy deals, all the time! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.