Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Deltahater
There are a few Fters who consistently and regularly post them. Many of them don't like this new forum and will post less going forward.

Congrats you may have just killed the goose.
You're suggesting regular posters will go off in a huff? I've yet to see evidence of this. I think the reasons for posting are complex, and probably have little to do with altruism or give-and-take fairness, but more concern our naturally competitive spirit and the joy of recognition as successful fare-finders.

Also, when card-pushing bloggers think this is a great idea, you know it is bad for the rest of us.
I think this might be aimed at specific posters, and I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

And "bad news" is relative. Recent ill-fated but high-profile legal claims aimed at making hay out of mistake fares are likely to have a far more deleterious impact on us. They have led legislators to reconsider their approach to consumer protection in air transport. To my thinking, that is a greater concern than who publishes what and in which forum.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
...You're suggesting regular posters will go off in a huff? I've yet to see evidence of this. I think the reasons for posting are complex, and probably have little to do with altruism or give-and-take fairness, but more concern our naturally competitive spirit and the joy of recognition as successful fare-finders.
I am the first to admit I do not post fares in the premium area often, but, now, I do not think I will bother. Sure, you are only losing a few posts a year from me. But, I think (but do not know) there are a lot of us infrequent posters. So when you add it up, you loses hundreds. Does it matter? I do not know.

I do not think anyone has clearly articulated the need for this change, other than change for the sake of change.

Personally, I think a few people requested it and it was approved without real thought. (Why not post the question to the subscribers of the thread first?)

But, I am also not passionate about it. It was fine/good the way it was. I do not see me posting in the new format. But, I alone am not a great loss.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:11 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
with each deal given a separate thread and Economy, Business and First deals being mixed together
Just in case other posters haven't provided sufficient reassurance: no one has suggested that economy fares should have any place in the premium fare deals sub-forum.

Even if some airlines offers decent economy+, it is still miles apart from business and first class.
If anyone is confused: "premium economy" does not include products such as UA's "Economy Plus" that consist of standard economy/coach seats with a little extra leg room. The strongest premium economy products stand comparison with lower end business class products (including much domestic 'First' in the US).

Premium economy deals can also be of interest to people seeking status miles/points -- and on at least one airline a premium economy fare can be the basis for an inexpensive upgrade into business class using miles (BA: upgrade using Avios).

when card-pushing bloggers think this is a great idea, you know it is bad for the rest of us.
I'd rather assess a position on its merits than buy into that kind of 'logic'.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I am the first to admit I do not post fares in the premium area often, but, now, I do not think I will bother. Sure, you are only losing a few posts a year from me. But, I think (but do not know) there are a lot of us infrequent posters. So when you add it up, you loses hundreds. Does it matter? I do not know.
I hope you will continue posting. It would be a shame to lose your contributions simply because of relatively small changes to your chosen channel for communication.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I hope you will continue posting. It would be a shame to lose your contributions simply because of relatively small changes to your chosen channel for communication.
I think this is a pretty big change. Before, you could scan the thread easily to see all the deals and the conditions. Now, it is quite time consuming.

But, you are right, I should/will try to post what I can find for the greater good.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:18 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Before, you could scan the thread easily to see all the deals and the conditions. Now, it is quite time consuming.
I'm actually finding it faster, so far -- I know that I'm not interested in SkyTeam at the moment, for example, so I simply don't open certain threads (but can still quickly note the routes that are being posted and be on the look out for fare wars).

I should/will try to post what I can find
^ I hope you do. ^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IMH
I'm actually finding it faster, so far -- I know that I'm not interested in SkyTeam at the moment, for example, so I simply don't open certain threads (but can still quickly note the routes that are being posted and be on the look out for fare wars).

^ I hope you do. ^
I'm coming around actually. It is a lot faster than reading the old thread. Whether that will remain the same when we have hundreds of fares, I don't know.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:30 pm
Suspended

What needs to be happening fast are posting guidelines, especially for titles. The forum is quickly becoming cluttered with confusing titles.
How about this format:

XX: O-D $xxx (P/J/F), RT/OW

With XX the airline code, O-D origin and destination, $xxx the all-in fare, (P/J/F) the fare basis code, and finally specify return or one-way.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Oct 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Calchas
I'm coming around actually. It is a lot faster than reading the old thread. Whether that will remain the same when we have hundreds of fares, I don't know.
My problem with the old bad thread was the endless chatter and searching for a Skyteam deal. I don't care about BA or OW folks prattling on and on about some deal I will never fly no matter how good it is.

This new one WORKS!^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What needs to be happening fast are posting guidelines, especially for titles. The forum is quickly becoming cluttered with confusing titles.
How about this format:

XX: O-D $xxx (P/J/F), RT/OW

With XX the airline code, O-D origin and destination, $xxx the all-in fare, (P/J/F) the fare basis code, and finally specify return or one-way.
My suggestion would be to put both the cabin class (premium, business, or first--is it necessary to specify suites for any carrier that might have distinct first and suites products being offered?) as well as the fare class into the thread title. It's nice to see the fare class instantly because if you use a particular FF program a lot, you're likely to know immediately what the fare class (usually a single letter, such as G A P or F for FC on DL) means in terms of status miles and redeemable miles earnings.(The specific fare code isn't needed in the thread title, but should probably appear in the text of the first post if it's available.)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I personally found the old thread very difficult to follow due to all the peripheral chatter. Thumbs up to the change.

Originally Posted by skunker
It never failed that the first posts after someone posted a fare were: 1) dates?!?
Seriously what's up with that? I mean, how hard is it to check ITA? Can we just ban stupid questions?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was chatting with a FTer today and mentioned I didn't follow the megathread because it was confusing/I had to drill down multiple levels. But now that premium deals are in separate threads' it's easier for me to follow. Can I take advantage of all the premium deals; of course not. But there are some that are within a reasonable price range over what I'd be paying in economy that it would be a brainer to book them, so I'll subscribe to the forum. I'm talking J, not PE. A d from what I can tell these aren't' t mistake fares, but legit deals that may have limited inventory.

Cheers
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Can we just ban stupid questions?
This is the internet. Good luck with that.

BTW, following your own guidelines, I don't think your post would be allowed.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
This is the internet. Good luck with that.

BTW, following your own guidelines, I don't think your post would be allowed.
Indeed. You've proven the point
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hooray ! Thanks talkboard ^ ! Now if this would have taken place a decade ago.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.