Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by privacylawyer
this new forum will make premium fare searches sooo much easier.
thanks
Bully on all the complainers! I am glad to see this, and THANK YOU!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Realizing that this post will get deleted when you do your clean-up on aisle 5 editing.

In fairness to you I didn't think the CommunityDirector would get the sub-forum started that quickly. I totally realize that mods, like TB members, are volunteers and have utmost respect for the job you all do, especially on such a busy forum.

BTW - there was a suggestion made in the off-topic thank you thread that some would like to see incorporated in your wiki/sticky/FAQ/whatever you call it. Didn't know if you were checking that thread since it's basically a thank you thread.

I now return you to your premium fare posts & discussions while I return to my economy seat (at least it's economy plus, about the only good thing left on United).

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Did anyone want member input? I didn't see any discussion or solicitation for input in this thread, which was the Premium fare thread, about shifting it to a forum instead. Seems like you might have wanted input from the people in the thread rather than a vote from a board that didn't know what goes on in the thread.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by seacarl
Did anyone want member input? I didn't see any discussion or solicitation for input in this thread, which was the Premium fare thread, about shifting it to a forum instead. Seems like you might have wanted input from the people in the thread rather than a vote from a board that didn't know what goes on in the thread.
Many people from the thread contributed their input. There were a couple of discussion threads about it active in the last several weeks. Feedback has been very supportive of the new subforum.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I would think that the bulk of the deals reported would be for J, so I would recommend that that would be default, and threads should only be marked as F if that isn't the case.

Also, I believe the W (Premium Economy) deals are also allowed here, so those without a doubt should be marked as such.
Yes, that is correct. This new subforum includes good deal fares for suites (implicitly, for those airlines that consider suites to be a class above FC), FC, (implicitly business first which is usually considered to be categorized as business class), business class, and genuine premium economy (but not UA's Y+ or DL's EC, which are just special coach seats with greater pitch for which the passenger might be required to pay a special fee to reserve these seats).
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Bring on the premium economy deals as those are the ones i'm more likely to afford.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by 18sas
Many people from the thread contributed their input. There were a couple of discussion threads about it active in the last several weeks. Feedback has been very supportive of the new subforum.
I get the email notifications and generally check this thread 1 to 3 times/day off the notifications, but don't go to the parent forum. I never saw the discussion in this thread nor a pointer to it. It's possible I overlooked it. It's still rather different function since as far as I know there is no (real-time) mechanism to be informed if a new thread has been started in a forum.

Which is to say that the bones of Flyertalk are on some pretty dated technology...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
It's still rather different function since as far as I know there is no (real-time) mechanism to be informed if a new thread has been started in a forum.

Which is to say that the bones of Flyertalk are on some pretty dated technology...
While I personally am satisfied with being notified of updates to this new forum once per day, might there be a workaround for you and others who would prefer instant notifications of new deals? What I have in mind is a "master thread" that would comprise posts that do nothing but mention other new threads (with new deals) being posted in the forum. (Subsequent discussion of the new deal would be confined to the thread dedicated to it.) Those posts in that one master thread would be contributed either by the persons posting the new deals or, if they can't be bothered, by volunteers who are checking the forum anyway and see the need for the new deal to be posted. Far from a perfect substitute, in that it is kind of cumbersome and in effect relies on a new deal being posted twice. But generally quicker notifications than once every twenty-four hours.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:12 pm

I know I am in the minority on this issue, but I am disappointed with this change. Talkboard members frequently talk about not changing what is not broke. tcook052 did his best to voice his concerns/ideas/thoughts and was largely ignored. Thanks tcook052 for all your efforts.^ That said, I hope the new forum is a success for all (posters/readers,and the mods).

----------

And to stay relevant to this thread, DL has up fares out there....

Sample:
DL: Jan 13 BOS-LAX-BOS ~$653ai (G)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
It's still rather different function since as far as I know there is no (real-time) mechanism to be informed if a new thread has been started in a forum.
Why do you/they need this ?
For personal travel over a year, with the daily subscription notifications, you are bound to come across premium deal/s that works for you. If MR'ing is your diet, you stll have the other threads running.

I now see this forum as, FT'ers helping and sharing with other Ft'ers in the Premium Market.

If this format now doesn't work for middlemen, on-sellers and blogging sources, I see it as a good thing.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Also, +1 here. Good job - happy with this new forum.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:50 pm

this is awesome!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
I know I am in the minority on this issue, but I am disappointed with this change. Talkboard members frequently talk about not changing what is not broke. tcook052 did his best to voice his concerns/ideas/thoughts and was largely ignored. Thanks tcook052 for all your efforts.^
+1
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
+1
+2
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:06 pm
jmw

+1 happy

Sometimes, I want economy deals without irrelevant crap from premium fares.
Other times, I want premium deals without irrelevant crap from economy fares.

Win.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.