Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

"We got a new subforum -- I'm so happy/I'm so sad" DISCUSSION THREAD

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!

It appears the powers that be have given us a full new subforum for premium fare deals. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Sigh ... it was nice getting instant email notifications for all new fares. I guess it makes sense though.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Will this thread now be broken apart in sub-threads and placed into the new forum?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I read through the Talk Board post and it seems this will stay but new fares will be seperate threads. Premium Economy thread is supposed to move to this sub-forum, too.

Here's the problem I have "46 (25 members & 21 guests)" They didn't make it so that you have to be a member to view.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
Here's the problem I have "46 (25 members & 21 guests)" They didn't make it so that you have to be a member to view.
At the risk of getting too far off topic (although, what is the topic of this thread now?), that will likely never happen. FT wants the page views. If we want to a member view-only forum, probably will have to go somewhere else.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
At the risk of getting too far off topic (although, what is the topic of this thread now?), that will likely never happen. FT wants the page views. If we want to a member view-only forum, probably will have to go somewhere else.
Any suggestions?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sykes
Sigh ... it was nice getting instant email notifications for all new fares. I guess it makes sense though.
Instant e-mails for new posts you mean, when something like 1-in-3/5 was a fare, most of which had been posted before....
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by RTW1
Instant e-mails for new posts you mean, when something like 1-in-3/5 was a fare, most of which had been posted before....
Which was fine ... I'd much rather have too much volume than miss a potential fare.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skunker
Any suggestions?
I'll check with a couple people to see. I'll have a bit of downtime this weekend so perhaps I can work out some details.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:22 am
soy

Programs: various
If anyone knows of such a forum, I would be interested.
I agree about the guests/members dilemma. FT needs the ad revenue so cannot see them ever stopping viewers.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:27 am
soy

Programs: various
Would be good to know what the rules are for this sub-forum.

Is it a seperate thread for each deal or do we just continue as before in the mega-thread?

Also now that we have a sub-forum, is it ok for coded posts. There was a great example recently for OSL-CGK that got kicked into the trick it thread.
(not saying we need/want the level of coding that the trick thread has, but there is a happy balance that is achievable).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:32 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
new subforum for premium fare deals. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
For the record, the TalkBoard decision is documented here.

If we want [...] a member view-only forum
Be aware of the potential downside as well as benefits. Some deals would last longer, certainly, but others would not get posted at all (because the mere mortals who spot them don't have access to the elite forum...).

Maybe the new forum presents an opportunity to better distinguish sale fares (including 'fare wars' that are unadvertised but filed on purpose) from apparent error fares?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Instead of a member view only forum how about making it invisible to visitors and/or require that you have so many posts before you have access?

Not trying to make it an elite only forum but just cut down very low level casual access. The post count would not have to be really high, just enough to prevent someone from joining and going into the forum the same day.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May I ask that fares be cross posted to this thread as well?

I am aware that there is a high level of meta discussion in this thread (and this post is a guilty part of that) but it is helpful to see the fares at a glance in a time-ordered thread view rather than jumbled up by the last-post date on in the forum view.

Also, I check the My Flyertalk page each day and that shows subscribed threads better than it shows subscribed fora.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:51 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
there is a high level of meta discussion in this thread (and this post is a guilty part of that)
This one too... However, that's one thing the new sub-forum really should take care of: we can use a separate thread (or several separate threads, as needed) for general discussion.

The wiki to this thread, or at least parts of it, could also usefully be taken as a basis for a (sticky) sub-forum FAQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.