Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm Waiting For my New ID. Can I still Fly?

I finally retired my WI ID for a ME one. The ME DOT stamped my WI ID as VOID and handed me a temporary permit to use. They did put a rush on it so I should get it before my next flight, but still. If the new one doesn't get here in time, can I use my temp one (which does not have a photo) with my voided WI one to get past the TDC?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Yes. You can even get past the TDC without any ID at all, but it can take a while for them to "verify" your identity. I would budget at least an extra hour just in case of any difficulties.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Passport?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milepig
Passport?
expired and the replacement hasn't shown up yet. i stay domestic for trips.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WIRunner
expired and the replacement hasn't shown up yet. i stay domestic for trips.
ID that is expired less than a year may still be considered acceptable, sometimes by itself and sometimes in conjunction with a ridiculous process involving questioning and additional searches.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: DL, AA
Your question has already been answered, but I just wanted to wish you luck, MERunner.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
ID that is expired less than a year may still be considered acceptable, sometimes by itself and sometimes in conjunction with a ridiculous process involving questioning and additional searches.
According to several TSA employees with whom I've spoken, ID's expired less than a year are acceptable without any sort of questioning or additional screening.

Granted, you may (will?) run into the TSA employee who doesn't know this and slows you down, but I had probably a better than 80% success rate (presenting my ID and not getting any questioning other than "do you realize this is expired? Just making sure you knew")using my expired DL.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of you playing along with the home version.
My driver's license showed up on Saturday. Now the fun part is buying liquor with an out of state ID.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I still get carded for alcohol occasionally, and my passport card is always accepted. ^
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WIRunner
For those of you playing along with the home version.
My driver's license showed up on Saturday. Now the fun part is buying liquor with an out of state ID.
Really? Is out of state ID a problem for people when buying alcohol? I've only been carded a few times this year, that I can recall. I'm in my late 30s, but can apparently pass for a student in the right lighting out of state ID has never been an issue.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Really? Is out of state ID a problem for people when buying alcohol? I've only been carded a few times this year, that I can recall. I'm in my late 30s, but can apparently pass for a student in the right lighting out of state ID has never been an issue.
Yes, those various middle of nowhere bars and/or gas stations where the clerk thinks Maine is WAY UP NORTH due to the distortion of maps. (it really isn't WAY UP NORTH, Bangor is about on the same lata as Green Bay)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:48 pm

Flying inside of US with a temporary state id?

Hi guys, this is kinda urgent I really would like some answers. First thing first, I have a US passport, but we sent it to New York to get a VISA to fly to china later this year, apparently that's the only real ID I have, and I can't get it back before my fly to New Orleans. I don't have a drivers license so my family drove me down to the DMV to get a state issued ID, the people at the DMV only give us a temporary paper state ID, the final id card won't arrive after my flight, so I was wondering if I can fly in the U.S with a temporary paper ID? What kinda of issue will I run in?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by pk7677
Hi guys, this is kinda urgent I really would like some answers. First thing first, I have a US passport, but we sent it to New York to get a VISA to fly to china later this year, apparently that's the only real ID I have, and I can't get it back before my fly to New Orleans. I don't have a drivers license so my family drove me down to the DMV to get a state issued ID, the people at the DMV only give us a temporary paper state ID, the final id card won't arrive after my flight, so I was wondering if I can fly in the U.S with a temporary paper ID? What kinda of issue will I run in?
I had to fly with a temporary ID last year and had no issues in any of the 3 airports where I went through security. My temp ID did have a color photo of me as well as a couple of other security features. I don't know what your temp ID is like, so YMMV. To be safe, be prepared with some alternate (or "unofficial") forms of ID in case you run into any issues.

Let us know how it goes!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
A temp ID from your DMV will likely satisfy most document checkers. That being said, the TSA has some nebulously described "other means of substantiating someone's identity", although I'm not familiar with that process and would probably take a bit longer than usual, perhaps someone who has done so (either out of necessity or curiosity) can chime in here?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can actually fly without ID at all. But, TSA has to be able to verify your identity through other means. Bring with you:
1. The temporary ID (which sounds like paper / no photo);
2. Other documents which match you to your name, address & date of birth. These can include school ID's, work ID's and even utility bills and the like. The more the better.
3. Allow plenty of time. This process can take an extra minute or two or it can take an hour. There is no way of predicting.

Remember, you will face the same issue departing MSY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.