Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That is currently accurate though open to further delays in implementation.

Also remember that for domestic flights a photo ID is not actually required. But be prepared to spend a lot of time being hassled, questioned, having your identity verified and a very thorough freedom grope.

Originally Posted by sunshineaz
Beginning next year, traveler's from 9 states won't be able to use their drivers license to fly domestically because the licenses will not meet federal standards. They will need their passport to travel domestically in the US. So many will be using passports or such at that time.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Was this the announcement from 2006, 2008, 2011, 2016, or this year? Because the REAL ID act, passed in 2005, was going to cause this to happen "next year" at least that many times. And it never has.

beginning January 22, 2018, residents in states which have not come into compliance with federal requirements or obtained an extension will need to show an alternative form of identification such as a passport at airports
As of today, it looks like 25 states are compliant and 25 states have an extension. I'll let the reader do the math on how many states are left that will need to carry a passport.

I'm curious as to what the stated 9 states are, and the source of the data.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - The list of acceptable ID's is cut & pasted from the TSA website. Having 2 or 10 of these won't change how you are treated. If you are treated differently, that is wrong, but I understand that isn't why you are asking the question.

As you can see, many people choose to carry ID other than or in addition to a DL and there are many reasons to do so. Some smart and some a bit silly.

Whatever your decision, don't let Travel Ban type concerns be the determining issue.

Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
Permanent resident card
Border crossing card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
HSPD-12 PIV card
Foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
Transportation worker identification credential
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I almost always use my driver's license but I'm always carrying my passport as a just in case backup (whether it be last minute job request that requires some sort of international travel or just losing my wallet). Only use my passport as my ID when I already have it out (e.g., international itinerary so they needed it at bag drop to check bags through even if first flight is domestic).

Never had a problem though with either at any US airport or had anyone question why I was using it (even when they can't see I'm flying internationally - e.g., give them my RDU - ATL paper ticket with my passport and I don't think they necessarily see that the next flight is say ATL - LHR).
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

If you have a global entry card you also have precheck, so tsa will just wave you through anyway. LIH doesn't have a precheck line last time I was there, but they also are only looking to make sure you don't smuggle fresh fruit out.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
Thanks everyone! So much useful information here. I've learned a lot.

I'd forgotten all about a passport card; I'm not thrilled about the extra $55 but I might look into that for future use, particularly as we're hoping to visit Vancouver later this year. For this trip I think I'll go the GE card route. I get that it won't do much to avoid harassment or freedom-gropes and the like if I run afoul of a power-tripping TSA agent, but I figure I should take whatever reasonable precautions I can to prove my citizenship.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I'd fall more firmly on the "screw you" side of things. Carry whatever ID you're comfortable with. TSA has no ability to arrest you (they need to call a cop for that) and all they can do is hassle you when you go through security or after. If some TSA person gets an inflated ego and hassles you because of perceived race, demand to speak with a supervisor.

And when strangers make snide comments about walls and deportations, you can tell them that you and your ancestors were in the US long before they and theirs, and walk away.

But if you find yourself in situations where an actual law enforcement officer is demanding to see proof of citizenship (and I"m pretty sure they are generally not allowed to, except in some states that have succumbed to populist urges) then a passport card is probably the easiest thing to carry with you. I carry mine just as a second form of ID, though I never use it.
I hear you; when it's random strangers I have no problem giving them what-for when I'm just trying to mind my own business. Various types of law enforcement are a different matter, at least in my experience.

Originally Posted by nrr
I try to use my PP BOOKLET as little as possible if it is lost or stolen it is a hassle to get it replaced.
My NYS DL has my last name and ONLY FN, MI as initials; a few times a TSA agent asked to something with my full FN (a CC was OK); when I showed them my GE card (4 years ago), the agent said that was GOOD, so I've used it ever since.
PS: PP CARDS cost extra (GE cards are free!)
PS(PS): There are threads on FT noting that COSTCO cards have been accepted.
I'm not super comfortable carrying the booklet as well, so it'll stay home this time around. Regarding costco cards: ha ha, wow!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I would continue to present my state-issued driver license for domestic air travel without being intimidated by official travel bans or random bigoted talk from passers-by. I have never been mistaken for anything other than a naturally born US citizen, though-- except a few times overseas (funny stories). I recognize your life experience is different from mine and thus your risk management approach may be different. If so, I say go ahead and use your passport for air travel. Plenty of people show passports even for domestic travel, for example they carry it because they're connecting internationally, so your use of it won't draw additional scrutiny.

Best wishes for your travels.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by McNandez
I'm not super comfortable carrying the booklet as well, so it'll stay home this time around. Regarding costco cards: ha ha, wow!
<mod hat off>

I've used my Costco card in conjunction with my fishing license. In Alaska they didn't bat an eye, in Hawaii I got the full treatment

Someone ended up mailing back my ID too (arrived several weeks after I got a new one, but the gesture was nice).
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - The list of acceptable ID's is cut & pasted from the TSA website.
While the list is official, many TSOs do not follow that list.

For example, I have been using an TSA-approved airport ID with my TSA PreCheck. While many airports (including my home airport obviously) will let me through without issue, OAK and especially HNL gave me trouble. On the other hand, I used to use the HSPD-12 PIV before even this ID made it to the list. TSOs let me through without problem at all.

Bottom line - unless you hold an ID that the TSO is personally familiar with, YMMV.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm also in the minority I guess. A drivers license is fine for domestic travel, I see no reason to carry additional documents, with the corresponding risk of losing them. My passport/GE card are in my safe at home, pulled for international travel.

But I've never had any special attention using my passport for ID on the domestic leg of international travel either.
This. Passport/GE stay home unless I need them. Conversely, DL stays home for international trips where I know I'm not going to drive. Using a passport for a domestic segment is never an issue: pretty much every international trip I take involves me handing a passport and a domestic boarding pass to the ID checker. They don't care about the international boarding pass.

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm curious as to what the stated 9 states are, and the source of the data.
Missouri is one. This briefly makes the news every time a new extension is passed, but this year it's been in the news a lot more - and there are now signs near the checkpoints at MCI about it, telling Missourians that they'll need different ID in 2018.

I realize it's all a bunch of politicians having a urinary Olympiad, but this is the first time it's gotten far enough to warrant signs and a significant amount of news coverage.

I've mostly ignored it because (a) my Kansas DL is fine and (b) I already have a passport and GE card. But by September or so, a lot of Missourians who *don't* have passports will have to decide whether they think it's all a big bluff or not.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pinniped
Missouri is one. This briefly makes the news every time a new extension is passed, but this year it's been in the news a lot more - and there are now signs near the checkpoints at MCI about it, telling Missourians that they'll need different ID in 2018.

I realize it's all a bunch of politicians having a urinary Olympiad, but this is the first time it's gotten far enough to warrant signs and a significant amount of news coverage.

I've mostly ignored it because (a) my Kansas DL is fine and (b) I already have a passport and GE card. But by September or so, a lot of Missourians who *don't* have passports will have to decide whether they think it's all a big bluff or not.
Alaska is another... haven't kept up, but it goes back and forth a fair bit. Also an issue for those trying to get onto military installations.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:47 pm

In Arizona, we are offered an upgraded Drivers license at an extra charge that will be able to be used for airlines flights that meet official standards.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Just my opinion, for the OP - don't let fear make you paranoid. If some redneck snowflake questions your citizenship, cuss them out. Use your drivers license without fear.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Before we stray too far afield, please let me remind you that the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum is informational.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, it is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?”

This is not the place comment about security policies or rules and/or how they are carried out. Please reserve your opinions and arguments for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by McNandez
I'd forgotten all about a passport card; I'm not thrilled about the extra $55 but I might look into that for future use, particularly as we're hoping to visit Vancouver later this year.
If you are willing to part with your passport book for a few weeks, you can submit a renew by mail DS-82 to get a NEW passport card for $30. You don't have to renew your passport book at the same time.

At $3/year, I consider the passport card a bargain. The passport book is far too delicate to carry around everywhere. You don't want to be traveling and get denied entry somewhere because of passport damage. Even a minor bend or fraying is questionable.

Even holding a GE card, I also obtained a passport card. It never hurts to carry two ID's and a lot of people don't recognize the GE card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.