Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by phltraveler
I used my Global Entry card as my ID for over a hundred domestic flights (hundreds of flights total since I was connecting for a while, but I'm only counting security checkpoint entrances) from 2013-2015 and I had no issue in presenting my GE card at dozens of airports.
Welcome to FT where two things combine: first, the fact that one poorly trained Officer did or did not do something translates into a US-government wide policy and second, that TSA can do no right.

People need to chill. There are supervisors for the situations where an Officer really can't figure it out,
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by brkandjfk

Except... so many of the TSA employees I presented my GE card to declined it as ID (saying they had never heard of it) during my wait for the plastic renewed DL to arrive.... that I started to carry my passport on domestic trips. One employee even declined my passport after telling me that it can only be used for ID on international trips... I realize that this isn’t the TSA venting thread, but....
I've actually never had TSA refuse my NEXUS card, which is identical to the GE card in form and function (just says NEXUS rather than GE at the top, but is equally valid for air travel.)

I get the impression this was a huge problem years ago but that retraining of TSA officers has made it far less of an issue. And I use NEXUS as ID whenever I can; I've gone through TSA with it dozens of times. Just anecdotal evidence, I know, but I think OP will be fine with his GE card.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
No problems with GE card as ID, but some years back, the TSO said my passport was not sufficient "government issued photo ID card" so she needed to see my DL - from a state not compliant with Real ID.

I then asked for a supervisor, and she decided accepting my passport was a better idea.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
My GE card was refused at JFK in January 2017 (I think). The guy asked if I had some other ID like a driver's license; I didn't want to waste time arguing with him, so I said something about how the GE card was listed as acceptable ID on tsa.gov, but dug through my bag for my passport book and showed him that.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:15 pm

You can also go to a passport office and try to get a same/1/2 day passport renewal. If your travel plans aren't soon enough, book a refundable ticket for the next day and cancel once you've applied for the passport.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Before, I used a driver's license because other cards, such as NEXUS, Global Entry, Sentri, were too rare and not familiar to the TSA. I am starting to rethink this. If you lose your driver's license, you may not be able to rent a car at your destination. A passport is hard to replace while traveling.

I am thinking of starting to use either a trusted traveler card or buy a passport card.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Before, I used a driver's license because other cards, such as NEXUS, Global Entry, Sentri, were too rare and not familiar to the TSA. I am starting to rethink this. If you lose your driver's license, you may not be able to rent a car at your destination.
I usually use a PIV-II card and it confuses them about 10% of the time, even though it's the same badge they have, just a different agency. I use it because a) it makes a noise when it falls on the floor, so I'm more likely to notice it, and b) I often need to have it to work at my destination, so I know that I have it. I've dropped my DL and nearly lost it enough times because it's thin and lightweight that I try to avoid using it at the checkpoints.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:20 pm

My Piv-I card is valid? Cool! Im from one of those affected no-realid states
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:00 pm
Suspended

I like carrying my passport card since it doesn't show my address. I've never had an issue from the TSA.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The HSPD-12 PIV card has been valid for some times.

In fact, it is valid before it has been placed on the TSA's official list of acceptable IDs.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I carry my passport card, as it has my name/bd, yet not my address. That, and we're 15-20min from the border, and sometimes hop over on a whim.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:02 pm

If I have to drive at my destination, I usually bring my driver's license

Otherwise, I use my passport card. Only had a second look at it once in 3 or 4 trips
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:27 pm

Absent from the list are two documents TSA should accept. USCIS Refugee Travel Document and USCIS Reentry Permit. They're used in lieu of national passports and accepted at US ports of entry. I don't see TSA denying those.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Neither of the USCIS documents are on the approved list, so TSA would not accept those as valid photo ID.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
Neither of the USCIS documents are on the approved list, so TSA would not accept those as valid photo ID.
They unofficially do accept them. I've walked to TSA returing to the US and I've presented my Reentry Permit and they take it no questions asked. And they do shine the black light on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.