Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable Identification for Domestic Travel [Consolidated Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
1) It sounds like the OP will be traveling with his son, so that should help to minimize the distress of these encounters.

2) How is the OP's son going to get into the US in the first place? He needs a passport to enter by plane and a passport, NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST card or an enhanced DL (which his son won't have for multiple reasons) to enter in the first place.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
1) It sounds like the OP will be traveling with his son, so that should help to minimize the distress of these encounters.

2) How is the OP's son going to get into the US in the first place? He needs a passport to enter by plane and a passport, NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST card or an enhanced DL (which his son won't have for multiple reasons) to enter in the first place.
Clearly OP and/or his son are authorized non-resident non-immigrant aliens, such as a student status for either, a TN-1, or other visa or authorization. Passports expire once in a while. The USA does not require such aliens to leave the country when their passports expire.

Originally Posted by VictorCharlieTen
Thanks for your response. I thought the general rule was to have government issued photo ID that shows name, birthdate and address? Which OHIP does.

I am not arguing the point (as I do not know for sure) but simply trying to understand the rules.

btw, my son has autism so having a drivers license (or anything beyond passport and OHIP) is not realistic.

Thanks again.
When you get his passport, consider getting a state ID card for your son. They look like driver's licenses, but only serve the purpose of driving. He will need some proof of authorization to be in the USA, and probably a social security card. The latter can be obtained for situations where the the state requires a social security card for ID.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I expect the renewal will always be for a term equal to that of the passport being renewed. The 5 year renewal is a god send for me, though I wish the process supported converting to a passport with more pages. Nope, passport Canada says if you have a 20 pager it is replaced with a 20 pager.
Huh? Canadian passports come in 24-page and 48-page sizes. The 48-page size costs $5 more and is a simple checkbox on the form. I checked it and got a 48-page passport last time I renewed. It isn't even noticeably thicker than my old one.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Huh? Canadian passports come in 24-page and 48-page sizes. The 48-page size costs $5 more and is a simple checkbox on the form. I checked it and got a 48-page passport last time I renewed. It isn't even noticeably thicker than my old one.
Did you actually renew or do a fresh application?

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/pdfs/pptc054.pdf has no check box for 48 page passport.

I did email passport Canada last year when I renewed and they were unequivocal, but of course as with anything travel related, the responder could have been a mila.

At the rate my pages are filling up I will be taking another run at this in a year or two.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 27, 2012 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Many state ID cards issued to non-US residents say "NOT VALID FOR IDENTIFICATION" on them.
Ok Kafka, , explain the purpose of a state identification card if it is not valid for identification.

Please cite as this; I find it incredible. Do you mean perhaps that some state driver's licenses issued to non residents say not valid for ID? That I can believe.

On the issue of involving the CBP, as someone who has had a non immigrant status and now an LPR status I disagree. The CBP is likely to bark at the autistic man when he doesn't answer questions. Without any photo ID the CBP is going to ask lots of questions. My son was a late talker due to an intrauterine stroke. The CBP once screamed at him when he didn't respond after being asked if I was his father. You want to subject a man with autism to that agency?

Rent. A. Car.

Last edited by mre5765; Sep 27, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Oct 2, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, BA Gold, Delta Platinum
All's well that ends well.

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to weigh in on this tricky situation. I am happy to report that everything went well. But not without some serious pre-planning.

First of all, I am glad I made a scan of my son's passport info page. It helped.

Second, I was, with the help of Delta, able to reach out to the TSA ahead of time and that was the key. Each airport (or group of regional airports) has a TSA customer service representative. It takes some digging to get their contact info but I did manage to get the very understanding and helpful rep for TPA.

I explained the situation, sent him a copy of my son's OHIP card, and let him know when we'd be flying. He, verbally and in an email let me know:

-the OHIP card he viewed met the standard
-to be sure to bring the copy of the passport info page to show expiration date
-he would advise the DL terminal station at TPA that we would be arriving and approximately when

We arrived at TPA, and the whole thing was a breeze (I also brought a copy of the customer service email).

I either got lucky, or the TSA appreciate a straight up honest approach that shows you've done the homework.

All's well that ends well.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I'm glad it worked out well for you and your son. You figured out the right way to approach this and it things went well. It's unfortunate you had to be concerned and worry about it, but nice to know the TSA stepped up and took care of things.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:20 pm

Unhappy Can I board with an NYS Interim ID?

This Friday I have to be on a plane to California, its my first time flying alone and I'm a bit worried. You see, there was an issue with our mail carrier and she sent back my State ID that I got because I turn 21 next week, and I'm afraid it won't be here on time for me to use it at the airport
(The plane departs at 6 AM, and we usually get the mail anywhere between the mid morning to late noon).
All I have on my person is;
  • My NYS Interim ID
  • An original copy of my birth certificate
  • My Social Security Card
  • My up to date College ID
  • And My Chase Bank Card

I'm wondering is this more than enough to get me through? Or should I consider myself a dead duck? I've been told its alright, and I've searched on the internet, but a lot of those threads and questions are several years old and maybe rules have changed?
The airport is LaGuardia, and I'm flying on Delta Airlines.
Anybody got any advice or good news? I'm really worried about this.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome to FT.

You should be fine. There is a procedure to allow people to fly without any ID. (Think of all the people on vacation who lose a wallet.) Arrive at the airport early in case TSA insists on playing 20 questions to "confirm your identity". But you should be able to board your flight.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:21 pm

Really? Thank you so much I'll definitely go there two or three hours in advance just in case, I really appreciate this help, it definitely takes a weight off the chest.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MaudiMaud
This Friday I have to be on a plane to California, its my first time flying alone and I'm a bit worried. You see, there was an issue with our mail carrier and she sent back my State ID that I got because I turn 21 next week, and I'm afraid it won't be here on time for me to use it at the airport
(The plane departs at 6 AM, and we usually get the mail anywhere between the mid morning to late noon).
  • My NYS Interim ID
  • And My Chase Bank Card

I'm wondering is this more than enough to get me through? Or should I consider myself a dead duck? I've been told its alright, and I've searched on the internet, but a lot of those threads and questions are several years old and maybe rules have changed?
No reason why you should be a dead duck in terms of flying like this.

The TSA has a routine to subject you to identity-"verifying" questions based on what exists in some kinds of public records and with credit/asset reporting agencies. It may slow you down but it doesn't generally stop people in such situation from flying domestically.

I have flown with expired ID and DMV/DOT printouts of interim documentation -- without even being questioned. YMMV, but with a little extra time you shouldn't have any problem with the TSA once the airline checks you and/or your bags in for the flight and gives you a boarding pass and/or bag tags.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
  • My NYS Interim ID
  • And My Chase Bank Card

Welcome to FT. I'd leave the SS card at home or where ever not with you.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
  • My NYS Interim ID
  • And My Chase Bank Card

Bring the College ID, the Bank Card, and the NYS Interim ID. Get there early, and you will be perfectly fine. TSA's policy is that if you cannot show acceptable ID, they will verify your identity through other means. It very much helps to have other things with your name and photo, hence Bank Card and School ID.

Leave the Birth Certificate and SS Card at home.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Because TSA sometimes but not always uses commercial databases to verify ID information, other documents which can be helpful are utility bills, magazine subcription labels and the like.

The reason you need time is that depending on the checkpoint, how busy it is and whether there's a trained Officer handy who has the time, you may wait a good while for that person. Once the process starts, it should not take more than 5-10 mins. at absolute most.

You can also expect your carryon(s) to be hand-searched, although that's not always done.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
My wife forgot her DL on a trip we took last month. They accepted her Costco card on the outbound. On the return, they were a little more strict and required an additional bank card in addition to the Costco card. You'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.