Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:01 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Update: When this thread was started, I sent an inquiry to the TSA. They have replied back and verified that all passengers, including those with SSSS, are permitted to opt out.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I thought SSSS was discontinued a few years ago?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta, United
SSSS is alive and well. Got is for the first time last week. Oddly this was on an TATL inbound to the USA. Not so bad but it screwed up clearing TSA with PreCheck for my connecting flight.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:53 pm

Most cases of SSSS that I continue to learn about seem to be on international flights to the US.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:03 pm

SSSS on United boarding pass

Hey guys,

I recently started travelling on a weekly basis from North America to Europe and South America, as well as to other North America cities.

When flying back from Colombia panama and Mexico, I have been given SSSS (additional screening at the gate).

This is really annoying, as I travel only on united and have status on star alliance. UA says it's random but i was the only one to get these on the flights, and I probably travel more than anyone else on any of those flights.

I value the extra security and enjoy feeling safe but I'm pretty sure UA should know by now that I am no threat to anyone, I am just trying to work.

What should I do, besides apply for nexus (which I already did)

Super annoying
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've been SSSS'd at LHR before, as a 1K flying Business. It happens. SSSS used to be something the airline could do to you, but those days are long gone and it happens a lot less than it used to.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:58 am

I assume it's not a matter of how much you fly, but your perceived security risk. Maybe it's the people you associate with, maybe your brother-in-law is a radical....who knows.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hamlol
Hey guys,

I recently started travelling on a weekly basis from North America to Europe and South America, as well as to other North America cities.

When flying back from Colombia panama and Mexico, I have been given SSSS (additional screening at the gate).

This is really annoying, as I travel only on united and have status on star alliance. UA says it's random but i was the only one to get these on the flights, and I probably travel more than anyone else on any of those flights.

I value the extra security and enjoy feeling safe but I'm pretty sure UA should know by now that I am no threat to anyone, I am just trying to work.

What should I do, besides apply for nexus (which I already did)

Super annoying
Airlines have absolutely no control over who the TSA makes a selectee. Airlines are required by the TSA to confirm selectee screening at the gate. Blaming United for being SSSS or believing that United thinks you're a threat is baseless.

SSSS is purely between you and the TSA. Airlines are just doing what the TSA requires them to do... or face a $27,500 fine.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Airlines have some control over who is >SSSS> and how.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:39 am Reason: Term better left for the Debate forum
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I the OP just sees it more due to the frequency of flying. Of course to the normal flyer, he/she may never see it, but if you're flying twice of week, your odds of being picked increase by a many fold.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, OZ Diamond
Today I looked at my BP from last month. I found SSSS on it. However I don't recall any extra security check. Is it possible they just forgot about me?
BP i had it on was MUC-IAD part of KRK-TXL-MUC-IAD-IAH-BOG-IAH-FRA-KRK MR
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by jrmcrm
This is one reason I always try to check-in 23 hours before the flight.

Last time I flew Delta, I couldn't check in 23 hours before, website gave me errors. Showed up to the airport early, got SSSS on my BP, and still made my flight.

Moral of the story is do online check-in and if you can't check-in online, assume you have SSSS and show up to the airport an hour earlier.
Not to rehash a dead thread but this happened to me a week ago. Going to the UAE no prob to check in online without getting the SSSS. But coming back from JNB (the flight wouldn't let me checkin online. Got to airport and I had the SSSS stamped.)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by zackmo5
Not to rehash a dead thread but this happened to me a week ago. Going to the UAE no prob to check in online without getting the SSSS. But coming back from JNB (the flight wouldn't let me checkin online. Got to airport and I had the SSSS stamped.)
I had SSSS on my boarding pass and has to go for secondary inspection when returning from Singapore. But airport employees and security agents outside the US are always nice people. I am working to find out why I was on SSSs.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Just got the dreaded SSSS today. I'm Premier Platinum with United and Have TSA Pre. I had already checked in and got a boarding pass, changed my flight from Sunday to Monday morning. I called United and one of the phone agents was being rude so I gave it right back to him. Wonder if that was the reason why.

The entire process wasn't that bad, just a little weird having someone patting you out there in public and being stared on like you're a criminal or something. The dude that was right behind me in line ended up boarding the same flight, so I saw him give me the weird look when boarding.

Hopefully this doesn't reoccur, at least not anytime soon.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Just checked in for my return home tomorrow and SSSS is gone. I was already starting to feel bad for whoever was going to go through every inch of my dirty laundry tomorrow. Good luck everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.