Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:08 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LuvsParis
I think some information is slowly sinking in.

I'm a somewhat disabled person - I suffered a fracture (small, hairline) in a vertebrae that left me with a slipped vertebrae - it's worse than a slipped disk and cannot easily be fixed. Consequently, I have a hard time lifting anything ( and am under doctor's orders not to).

So - my husband could actually "manage" my two items for me at the security checkpoint? Whether SSSS or not, I could just walk through and just deal with my jacket and shoes (getting jackets on and off exacerbates the condition, tying shoelaces or putting on shoes is one of the few daily tasks that is most bothersome - if I tense up, it's worse).

We're waiting for my spine to fuse itself (it takes years, it's getting better - I think) but I never really considered just having my husband carry everything (he keeps insisting that's how it should be).

That's really possible?
yes, definitely have your other half take care of your bags going thru x-ray-just give them to him tho make sure to have your purse or you might get questioned re: "which bags are yours" so if you are asked, simply point to your purse and that's it

you might be given "grief" about your jacket as it's considered an outermost garment but as to you shoes, leave them on and tell the tso that you have a medical issue which makes it extremely painful to remove them and let them do a secondary swab on your shoes (and perhaps your palms as well). you may also get a secondary pat down so make sure that you do not alarm the wtmd but if you do, let the tso know that it is painful for you and you prefer to be seated.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by FlyforSAP
On two seperate occasions, my UA flight was cancelled so I had to leave the gate area and go to ticketing where an new boarding pass was issued with big SSSSS printed on it. I was annoyed because the airline cancelled the flight that caused it. I did nothing IMHO to warrent it.
And the reason you wouldn't reuse your original (non-SSSS) boarding pass to get past TSA?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
So - my husband could actually "manage" my two items for me at the security checkpoint? Whether SSSS or not, I could just walk through and just deal with my jacket and shoes (getting jackets on and off exacerbates the condition, tying shoelaces or putting on shoes is one of the few daily tasks that is most bothersome - if I tense up, it's worse).
If not SSSS most certainly, he could be the mule for all your stuff. There's no need for you to be fighting with it if he's right there.

If you are SSSS it depends. That line is usually off to the side, the ID person or the person at the other end of the line checking boarding passes should point you to it. If you are carrying something with you at that point, then they should not let you pass it off to anybody else, so give everything to your husband before you get near the checkpoint.

If taking off the jacket and the rest makes it worse, do that way before you get to the line and let him carry it to help you from tensing up feeling people behind you are rushing you. Don't let the security line make your trip miserable.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by cordelli
If you are SSSS it depends. That line is usually off to the side, the ID person or the person at the other end of the line checking boarding passes should point you to it.
I am very intrigued about this SSSS line. Is this only at ORD/IAD? Where is it SFO or DEN? Are there any alongside elite lines?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the advice. My jacket starts off with him carrying it in the first place, and I do carry my own personal item (ultra light Patagonia tote with my meds, etc.)

Until yesterday, neither of us had heard of SSSS. We're both the type who like to know every possible variation on airport shenanigans and what our rights/strategies are.

I'm feeling much more calm about this flight (and not letting security ruin it) thanks to this board- lots of support here.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thanks for all the advice. My jacket starts off with him carrying it in the first place, and I do carry my own personal item (ultra light Patagonia tote with my meds, etc.)

Until yesterday, neither of us had heard of SSSS. We're both the type who like to know every possible variation on airport shenanigans and what our rights/strategies are.

I'm feeling much more calm about this flight (and not letting security ruin it) thanks to this board- lots of support here.
you'll be fine (plus you've your f/t family on your side )
Old May 1, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by tom911
Just yesterday at IAD I picked up my new boarding pass for F IAD-SFO at the gate, and "SSSS" clearly on it. Can't recall that happening before.
This has happened to me several times when UA put me on a US flight during irrops. My US BP has ***SSSS*** on it.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:45 pm

Just yesterday at IAD I picked up my new boarding pass for F IAD-SFO at the gate, and "SSSS" clearly on it. Can't recall that happening before.
cr*p

• did you win a maSSSSage?
  • was this an u/g at the gate, bump or irrops?
  • were you able to olci for your original flight?

methinks we might be seeing one of the "new enhanced security measures" announced by the tsa after the panty-bomber. i hope not but again, i think we may be seeing a reincarnation of the maSSSSage.

time for all us f/t'ers to start reporting if it happened to them and/or they happened to "bp spot" another pax with SSSS on their bp.

also, if this in fact is a reincarnation of SSSS, i'm wondering if any of our resident tso's can shed some light on this/confirm it as where in the past, it was so secure that anyone could figure it out , i don't think you'd be violating ssi.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
How can this possibly be true?
Wife and I were flying from Fort Lauderdale to LAX after our cruise. And you know Fort Lauderdale in the afternoon after five cruise ships return... jammed pack. We both got SSSS (only time either of us hit with SSSS while flying up to this date). There was a separate line for SSSS and it took us 10 minutes to clear security. Judging from the "non SSSS/normal/usual" security line, it was going to be a lot longer than 10 minutes.
Old May 1, 2010, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk
Wife and I were flying from Fort Lauderdale to LAX after our cruise. And you know Fort Lauderdale in the afternoon after five cruise ships return... jammed pack. We both got SSSS (only time either of us hit with SSSS while flying up to this date). There was a separate line for SSSS and it took us 10 minutes to clear security. Judging from the "non SSSS/normal/usual" security line, it was going to be a lot longer than 10 minutes.
dates, flight and carrier?
Old May 1, 2010, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by goalie
  • did you win a maSSSSage?
  • was this an u/g at the gate, bump or irrops?
  • were you able to olci for your original flight?
I was on the way home from a mileage run to Rochester. I had checked in for all segments at home, but the upgrade IAD-SFO only cleared about 3-4 hours before departure (had notification in e-mail), so picked up the new "SSSS" boarding pass at the gate just before boarding. TSA was not at the gate for this flight, though they were on ramp for my prior ROC-IAD flight.
Old May 1, 2010, 3:58 pm

I was on the way home from a mileage run to Rochester. I had checked in for all segments at home, but the upgrade IAD-SFO only cleared about 3-4 hours before departure (had notification in e-mail), so picked up the new "SSSS" boarding pass at the gate just before boarding. TSA was not at the gate for this flight, though they were on ramp for my prior ROC-IAD flight.
that sounds like the old days under SSSS when any type of change (u/g, bump, irrops) would trigger the maSSSSage but interesting that you were not "SSSSelected" i'm still wondering what's gonna happen to folks trying to olci or getting their bp's at the airport and i'm still gonna go with my info from my earlier post that it's a sign of things to come
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why SSSS?

I was recently SSSSed for a flight ICN-SFO by UA. I have read Wikipedia and FT and try to find out why I am SSSSed.

According to Wikipedia, the following will make you SSSS:

-Passengers with a one-way reservation
-Passengers who pay cash for their tickets
-Passengers who book reservations the day of their flight
-Passengers who "no show" a single leg of their flight
-Random selection, according to TSA spokeswoman Amy Von Walter in 2004,[4] and as suggested by a 2003 DOI newsletter
-Flight to specific final destinations
-Flying without ID

None of them (except the random one) applied to me. The ticket is a round-trip ticket that I paid credit card with VDB vouchers and booked 1 month prior.

Can anyone give me some insight on why I am SSSSed?

FYI - I am a GE member and I have a DHS Redress Number, and I recently filed a FOIA request with TSA.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:20 pm
Suspended

lol I think you've answered your own question. The TSA has "investigated" individuals simply for submitting an FOIA request, and it seems quite possible that along with a Redress Number, they automatically add SSSS.

Originally Posted by garykung
FYI - I am a GE member and I have a DHS Redress Number, and I recently filed a FOIA request with TSA.
--Jon
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I booked a one-way award ticket on 4/1 for SFO-SYD on 4/1. Did not get SSSS by UA..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.