Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:56 pm

I got the SSSS once when flying from Barcelona to New York. No idea why, they said it was randomly generated. The security guy was nice. He emptied my bag and ran it thru an X ray machine and left me to repack it. I was done in about 15 minutes.

I spent more time waiting in a small cubicle with about 15 other people than actually being searched.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by explosive0
Just checked in for my return home tomorrow and SSSS is gone. I was already starting to feel bad for whoever was going to go through every inch of my dirty laundry tomorrow. Good luck everyone.
Maybe the agent figured that one flight was good enough and that you've learned your lesson !
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by explosive0
Just got the dreaded SSSS today. [...] I called United and one of the phone agents was being rude so I gave it right back to him. Wonder if that was the reason why.
Possibly, but I don't know if agents still have the power to do that under Secure Flight like they did under CAPPS. Could just have been a total random selection as occasionally happens.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
But airport employees and security agents outside the US are always nice people.
Not in my experience. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but definitely not always.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by gra2172
I got the SSSS once when flying from Barcelona to New York.
I was given the SSSS by Delta twice on TLV-JFK flights. As Israeli security felt it knew enough about me not to be concerned, the first time I was only asked to show both my Israeli and American passports.

The second time it happened I was told at check in to forget about it -- they no longer pay attention to it in Israel.

What I found very amusing is that while I was SSSSed for the first flights of these two itineraries I was given Pre-Check for all of the remaining flight.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 4:54 am

Try non-US and Canadian Airlines if you want your chances of being SSSS lowered.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: free agent
I got one yesterday for the first time ever - YVR to SEA. I couldn't check in online, so I suspected something was up right there.

The flight was booked late, on a company credit card (not my name), and a one-way ticket. I think those reasons right there have something to do with it.

It was a pretty thorough search/pat-down - but only took a few minutes extra. There was a female pilot (in uniform) getting a very hard time ahead of me too, which was a bit odd to see.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:51 pm

I'm a UAL Silver and have usually been assigned to TSA pre-check. Got one for the first time at end of recent trip where we were flying YYZ to LAX on AC then LAX to HNL on UA. The SSSS showed up on the boarding passes issued by Air Canada for both flights (YYZ-LAX & LAX-HNL). Didn't notice it then, probably because there was nothing unusual about my transit through security at YYZ -- not TSA pre-check but regular security lines. Had tried to check in online for the AC leg but was told to go to the airport to complete check-in, which has usually been the case for departures from Canada.

When we arrived at security at LAX for our UAL flight to HNL, I got pulled out of line & put through the full-on routine. What was interesting was that my UA boarding pass (on the app) showed me as TSA pre-check, no indication of SSSS. I asked the TSA agents about this and they said I'd have to ask the airline. I had a chance to talk to a UAL gate agent while dealing with flight delays for the HNL leg & he laughed and said he wouldn't want to guess. No evidence that TSA searched my checked bag unless they've now stopped leaving you notes about it.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SC54HI
No evidence that TSA searched my checked bag unless they've now stopped leaving you notes about it.
On numerous occasions my checked bag has shown obvious signs of having been searched. There's never been a note in it.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

It sucks. I got ssss'ed on a 5 flight itinerary from the US to Europe, through several countries in Europe, and back. Every time I got pulled, including during the superfluous Gatwick connection security check. No online check in, was denied every time. Had to line up for an agent when I needed to check in. No kiosk check in either.

I hope it was a random selection, or I am going to find out what I have done to get on the shitlist.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Jan 28, 2016 at 11:39 am
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
SSSS... on an airside BP?

Encountered a new one today. GF and I (both GE) were checking in at LIR for our flight home. Couldn't check-in online, which turned out to be because she got flagged with SSSS (but only on her ex-LIR BP, not her connecting BP from DFW).

When we got to DFW, we hustled to the gate to standby for an earlier connection and got listed. When the agent processed the list and printed out our new BPs, she now had SSSS on the connecting pass. Agent said that despite already being in the sterile area, my GF had to exit and rescreen.

Naturally, since they printed the BPs five minutes before closing the door, we missed the flight.

A TSA supervisor we spoke to at the checkpoint said the gate agent was incorrect and we shouldn't have been sent out.

Who was correct?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:40 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
TSA was correct. If anything, the GA should have called for the TSA to come to the gate. Most GAs will just ignore it at that point.

Just to be sure, the GA processed the standby, but then wouldn't board you two due to the SSSS, right? That is grounds for a DOT complaint IMHO; it's effectively denied boarding.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by exerda
TSA was correct. If anything, the GA should have called for the TSA to come to the gate. Most GAs will just ignore it at that point.

Just to be sure, the GA processed the standby, but then wouldn't board you two due to the SSSS, right? That is grounds for a DOT complaint IMHO; it's effectively denied boarding.
Also sounds like the TSA regulatory inspectors should be called, IMO. Because we are supposed to come to the gate.

Last edited by LoganTSO; Jan 5, 2016 at 12:55 pm Reason: clairification
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
About 6 years ago I was flying LGA-STL-LAS. I was upgraded LGA-STL. When I got to the AC in STL, I found my STL-LAS upgrade had cleared--but the new BP had SSSS; the agent did some "magical operations" on her keyboard, and printed a new bp with NO SSSS. On my return trip (3 days later), my LAS departing bp had SSSS.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nrr
About 6 years ago I was flying LGA-STL-LAS. I was upgraded LGA-STL. When I got to the AC in STL, I found my STL-LAS upgrade had cleared--but the new BP had SSSS; the agent did some "magical operations" on her keyboard, and printed a new bp with NO SSSS. On my return trip (3 days later), my LAS departing bp had SSSS.
That is what I've seen done many times where I've seen these situations. It works well when it works.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.