Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
For passengers who get "SSSS" on a boarding pass printed in the airside, in theory, they should get rescreened by TSA as the gate agent will need to see the TSA stamp/marking on the boarding pass before updating the system. They could get into trouble for updating the system without the stamp (since the system logs which agent has updated the AQQ status).

What if an up to non good passenger exits security at the connecting city and picks up a "package" from a "friend" and takes it back airside and then asks to be put on standby for a flight they are targeting?
Reality: The routines that decide on SSSS are flawed. If they didn't warrant an SSSS originally then no airside ticket change should make them more risky. Thus the proper thing to do would be to never issue a SSSS airside unless there was new information since the passenger originally went airside.

The system you describe is simply covering up their bad programming that doesn't understand the last-second airside ticket is due to IRROPS, not a terrorist trying to beat the system.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
The system you describe is simply covering up their bad programming that doesn't understand the last-second airside ticket is due to IRROPS, not a terrorist trying to beat the system.
AFAIK, the AQQ system does not differentiate between IRROPS and last minute bookings. When a change to the PNR is made (especially when very close to departure), it is resubmitted to the DHS/TSA so that the AQQ flag can be updated again.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:06 am

Thank you, daniellam.

The TSA always claims "your airline selected you. It wasn't us." Hmmmm.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mats
Thank you, daniellam.

The TSA always claims "your airline selected you. It wasn't us." Hmmmm.
That wouldn't be the first or last time the TSA has tried to lie and/or otherwise misled the public.

The airline can select passengers too, but for haraSSSSment at US airports, it's mostly the government doing the selecting of passengers for haraSSSSment.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That wouldn't be the first or last time the TSA has tried to lie and/or otherwise misled the public.

The airline can select passengers too, but for haraSSSSment at US airports, it's mostly the government doing the selecting of passengers for haraSSSSment.
This is entirely true.

Airline employees, however, also lie, in stating that they cannot do anything / can't remove the SSSS, as they most assuredly can. Maybe some are afraid of consequences--but they nonetheless can remove the SSSS designation, particularly when it's insanely obviously stupid like when reprinting BPs, clearing standby, etc. for pax who have already been through screening.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
AFAIK, the AQQ system does not differentiate between IRROPS and last minute bookings. When a change to the PNR is made (especially when very close to departure), it is resubmitted to the DHS/TSA so that the AQQ flag can be updated again.
Exactly--it doesn't distinguish and thus makes a wrong decision.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Exactly--it doesn't distinguish and thus makes a wrong decision.
Most last minute bookings for US flights don't result in haraSSSSment. Most IRROPS-related changes for US flights also don't result in haraSSSSment. The era when those two factors were primary driver of haraSSSSment has passed. The primary driver of haraSSSSment on US flights is now due to other factors being primary.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:18 am

I had SSSS on my boarding pass again this time few days ago on flight from DOH to PHL on Qatar. Last time I had was on from SIN to US.
Both are one ways. After the first incident, I filed TSA redress and I did enter the number on my recent flight. It seems the TSA redress things don't work and the GOV or whoever it is, assumes me as an unwanted thug for booking one ways.

I wish there was a lawsuit against the GOV for this haraSSment. Also as a naturalized US citizen, ( asian american) my family with 2 year got grilled at immigration & custom POE. All we went to was HKG, IN and Nep for 30 days. Questions such as, why you went, what you do, national origin, and than was sent to have our bags checked because we had some baby foods and some cookies and non meat stuffs.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I had SSSS on my boarding pass again this time few days ago on flight from DOH to PHL on Qatar. Last time I had was on from SIN to US.
Both are one ways. After the first incident, I filed TSA redress and I did enter the number on my recent flight. It seems the TSA redress things don't work and the GOV or whoever it is, assumes me as an unwanted thug for booking one ways.

I wish there was a lawsuit against the GOV for this haraSSment. Also as a naturalized US citizen, ( asian american) my family with 2 year got grilled at immigration & custom POE. All we went to was HKG, IN and Nep for 30 days. Questions such as, why you went, what you do, national origin, and than was sent to have our bags checked because we had some baby foods and some cookies and non meat stuffs.
It must be pretty frustrating to get this treatment. But at least some whites get treated this way as well.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

How did you answer the food question on your Customs declaration? Did you check "yes" or "no?"
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:05 pm
Suspended

My understanding is that it is the carrier itself which does this, and they are required to randomly assign them to x number of pax in a given time period as part of their operating agreement with the GOV.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How did you answer the food question on your Customs declaration? Did you check "yes" or "no?"
ofcourse i checked YES and declared the baby food and cookies on the form.

MY unhappiness is over the repeat SSSS even after filing redress. Will my US senator help me to get this cleared? Because readdress number didn't help I didn't have SSSS on boarding pass for my final destination from PHL to ORD. And about the CBP agent officer at POE, I guess it maybe very routine and very normal for them to question any US passport holders? They want me think my sweet home USA is no longer the " land of the free "? This never happens to me when I visit any other countries.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jan 27, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Last week, I flew SIN-SFO-YVR, inbound on a RT ticket. I was issued 3 boarding passes and had SSSS on both SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO. Am I wrong to think that was excessive? I can understand one segmnt having SSSS but two segments with a 3 hour layover? I have been a GE member for over 6 years and also have NEXUS and CLEAR memberships and I have had PreCheck on every flight I have taken since the program originated. I cleared GE at SFO with a clean receipt. I complained to a United supervisor at SIN but he claimed that the SSSS was generated by US Homeland Security but I think it's generated by United's computer system. Does anybody know definitively whether the SSSS is generated by the airline?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
second time I am flying IST-YYZ-DTW, second time I get SSSS'ed ...
I am in IST right now, will see how it goes in YYZ, last time I almost missed my flight to DTW, they started to look for my bags to unload them from the plane.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888
Last week, I flew SIN-SFO-YVR, inbound on a RT ticket. I was issued 3 boarding passes and had SSSS on both SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO. Am I wrong to think that was excessive? I can understand one segmnt having SSSS but two segments with a 3 hour layover? I have been a GE member for over 6 years and also have NEXUS and CLEAR memberships and I have had PreCheck on every flight I have taken since the program originated. I cleared GE at SFO with a clean receipt. I complained to a United supervisor at SIN but he claimed that the SSSS was generated by US Homeland Security but I think it's generated by United's computer system. Does anybody know definitively whether the SSSS is generated by the airline?
Tickets were one ways?
I had them on one ways twice, the later one even after getting TSA readdress number.

My return flight was Qatar, booked with AA miles on phone. After it was booked, I logged in my aadvantage account to look for the reservation and entered my Readdress number and passport info, etc.

I wonder if I should have the readdress number added by AA agent on phone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.