Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wanderer2017
I am planning to fly Norwegian Air from the US to Europe, but their website does not allow multi-city booking, which means I have to book a separate ticket for the return flight.

I am guessing that this will definitely trigger SSSS on the boarding pass. Did anybody experience this issue in the past when purchasing a separate ticket for the return flight?
While one-way tickets may increase some sort of scrutiny still at times, it’s anything but a guarantee to get hit with the SSSS flag.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I was SSSS'd on a recent NZ flight on the AKL-LAX sector, though my wife wasn't. My wife still had to go through "extra security for US flights" at AKL, which included an interrogation. I wasn't asked any questions at all, but was swabbed on my hands, my belt and my feet. My carry-on wasn't even looked at. As it happens I got through faster than my wife did.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:27 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I was SSSS'd on a recent NZ flight on the AKL-LAX sector, though my wife wasn't. My wife still had to go through "extra security for US flights" at AKL, which included an interrogation. I wasn't asked any questions at all, but was swabbed on my hands, my belt and my feet. My carry-on wasn't even looked at. As it happens I got through faster than my wife did.
What was she asked? The normal boiler plate check-in questions or other, more intrusive questions?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by drewguy
Hey, you want silly? I'm a US gov't employee and got the SSSS on a recent flight inbound to the US, while on official travel (with gov't passport). If it's not random then USG needs to sort out its hiring!
Me too! Two of my last three EU-US flights got SSSS'd. I have GE and am virtually always traveling on an official passport. Ex-FRA a few months ago wasn't bad, there was a separate Polizei screening area at an unused gate. I went there right after clearing security, they did a quick swab, I headed to the lounge with no other issues. Ex-ZRH last week was much more annoying, similar screening area next to the gate but Swissport-run, it wasn't staffed till 5 mins before boarding and agents were frustratingly slow.

I did notice both times that there were a lot of passengers in line, my last flight it was at least 10-15% of the plane. For reference i have only gotten SSSS one other time (ex-BRU about three years ago), never had any other issues security-wise so assuming it's random.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by GFrye
Austrian flights to the US now have extra security screening, but no extra interview.

There is a major flaw in the procedure: I could easily have left some of my carryon items (or the whole bag) with someone at the departure gate, gone through the extra screening without the bag, and then picked it up before boarding my flight.
This. I got SSSS in VIE in November and one of the people in the screening room with me told me later that she left her
bag with her husband because she knew it would be a nuisance to take everything out.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 22, 2019 at 6:59 pm Reason: Fix BB Code
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mickidon
This. I got SSSS in VIE in November and one of the people in the screening room with me told me later that she left her
bag with her husband because she knew it would be a nuisance to take everything out.
That's what a couple of people behind me also did. One of them told the other (in a foreign language that I happen to understand) "good thing we left the bags with your sister'"
The screening agent asked them where their carryons were, and they said they didn't have any. I think the screening agent suspected what was going on, but not much she could do about it. They were told to cut the line and go through the metal detector, and then they were given their BPs and were free to go.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Haha. A couple of years ago my daughter (under 12) got the SSSS. Flagged her at the gate. Wife gave me all our carryons, I boarded, and she took daughter to the SS table. Just goofy.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GFrye
That's what a couple of people behind me also did. One of them told the other (in a foreign language that I happen to understand) "good thing we left the bags with your sister'"
The screening agent asked them where their carryons were, and they said they didn't have any. I think the screening agent suspected what was going on, but not much she could do about it. They were told to cut the line and go through the metal detector, and then they were given their BPs and were free to go.
When I’ve been hit with this outside of the US when flying to the US and been without carry-on luggage, the gate-area screeners doing the additional screening sometimes didn’t know what to do and would just let me pass after noting down that that they had screened me.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:25 am

Just got back from trip to Italy. I am not GE nor TSA Pre (I don't fly enough anymore to justify them). I checked my boarding passes:
ORD-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-BLQ - no SSSS
I think it was this one - went through security. I know I did not have any metal on me but I beeped when I went through. No wand or anything or patting me down. The agent had me get my stuff and did a swab test on one of my carry-ons and my hands. It came back negative (of course). Delayed me a few minutes.

VCE-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-ORD - SSSS
BA/AA changed me to earlier flights (not at my request) for my same day of travel. I tried to check in online the day before but it said they couldn't give me an online boarding pass. I got the boarding pass for both legs at VCE. The 2nd leg BP must have had the SSSS as I asked at check in if I could get a window seat (had a middle). She had to look me up to verify if I had checked a bag (I checked 1) and had a concerned look on her face about it. I said I don't want to change flights, just my seat. She said she couldn't help me, ask at the gate. Gate agent was able to assign me a window, but still had the SSSS. Mostly the same as before, no wand nor pat down. I had to open my carry on bag and purse and they did a meager swipe with swabs on those. Didn't check my hands. Negative, as expected.

My first name is not common, but not foreign; last name is Italian (but not a common one.)
I am a US citizen (always have been.)
Bought the ticket about 6 weeks before with my CC – departure and return at the same time.
Italy is not a high-risk country as far as I know.
Single female traveler.

The only thing slightly different is that I flew into Bologna and departed from Venice. The airfare was half the price than if I had done a round trip in/out of Venice.

About 6 yrs ago, I flew to Abu Dhabi for a week to visit my boyfriend (US citizen, (always had been), American name, he was there working for as a contractor for an American company.)

This is the first time I have flown in about 3 yrs. At this point, I don't know if I should do the redress? This was likely just random? Will that visit follow me the rest of my life?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sophiesophie
Just got back from trip to Italy. I am not GE nor TSA Pre (I don't fly enough anymore to justify them). I checked my boarding passes:
ORD-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-BLQ - no SSSS
I think it was this one - went through security. I know I did not have any metal on me but I beeped when I went through. No wand or anything or patting me down. The agent had me get my stuff and did a swab test on one of my carry-ons and my hands. It came back negative (of course). Delayed me a few minutes.

VCE-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-ORD - SSSS
BA/AA changed me to earlier flights (not at my request) for my same day of travel. I tried to check in online the day before but it said they couldn't give me an online boarding pass. I got the boarding pass for both legs at VCE. The 2nd leg BP must have had the SSSS as I asked at check in if I could get a window seat (had a middle). She had to look me up to verify if I had checked a bag (I checked 1) and had a concerned look on her face about it. I said I don't want to change flights, just my seat. She said she couldn't help me, ask at the gate. Gate agent was able to assign me a window, but still had the SSSS. Mostly the same as before, no wand nor pat down. I had to open my carry on bag and purse and they did a meager swipe with swabs on those. Didn't check my hands. Negative, as expected.

My first name is not common, but not foreign; last name is Italian (but not a common one.)
Bought the ticket about 6 weeks before with my CC – departure and return at the same time.
Single female traveler.

The only thing slightly different is that I flew into Bologna and departed from Venice. The airfare was half the price than if I had done a round trip in/out of Venice.

About 6 yrs ago, I flew to Abu Dhabi for a week to visit my boyfriend (US citizen, (always had been), American name, he was there working for as a contractor for an American company.)

This is the first time I have flown in about 3 yrs. At this point, I don't know if I should do the redress? This was likely just random? Will that visit follow me the rest of my life?
Sounds random to me. One event doesn’t give you enough experience to say you’ve somehow been flagged. Even with GE I’ve gotten SSSS once but it appeared to be random and hasn’t happened since.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:07 am

ORD-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-BLQ - no SSSS
If by beep you mean you went through a magnetometer (i.e. not the body scan), that's not unusual. The magnetometers are set to trigger "randomly." The screeners can tell what kind of trigger occurred. There's no connection to your name and no impact on any future screenings.

Note that "randomly" means that the frequency can be set by TSA and varies by airport, machine and day.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:11 pm

I am an American with Global Entry since it started, flying in F on British Airways (where I have the highest status) from London to JFK and the one and only time I had it was in London. I believe it is random and nothing to do with status.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:04 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
ORD-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-BLQ - no SSSS

VCE-LHR - no SSSS
LHR-ORD - SSSS

Single female traveler.

Most likely random. If you get it again on your next few flights that would be different. For flights to the USA normally a certain number of pax are truly randomly selected.

Your last name (as an aside, no real Italian surnames are very common as Italy has the most variation in surnames per capita on the planet) or open jaw travel within Italy are normally not factors.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Oddly, I have recently gotten SSSS on MNL-LAX a number of times in a row but never the other way around flying LAX-MNL and SSSS really doesn't impact you much in Manila since they scrutinize your boarding pass at immigration and at the final US bound airline document check kiosk, but the first two security screening checkpoints don't look at your boarding pass at all,,,,,, since that is the job of Immigration, and the last "US Bound flight security screening checkpoint" only does a cursory look at your boarding pass to see if you are at the right gate. But happening a number of flights in a row seems more than random even if there is nothing out of the ordinary that comes from it.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:34 pm

I was unlucky on a flight from BGI-MIA with SSSS on the boarding pass. The second domestic leg of that trip did not have SSSS printed on the boarding pass, however, it popped up on the TSA scanner when the BP was scanned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.