Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by obrienj
That happened to my wife and I at SFO when we questioned a baggage charge. The screening guys took a look at it and rolled their eyes. One of them told me to complain to the airline, since SSSS is not supposed to be used as retaliation.
We got the full go-over, but the screeners were very professional and polite about it all.
They said Air Canada was famous for it...no kidding.
Used to get the dreaded SSSS because all of my flights were booked within 24 hours of flying and sometimes booked on the way to the airport. Complaints and status did nothing until TSA changed their policies.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by AngryMiller
Used to get the dreaded SSSS because all of my flights were booked within 24 hours of flying and sometimes booked on the way to the airport. Complaints and status did nothing until TSA changed their policies.
Yep. Because TSA knows that all terrorists only plan their missions last minute...

I guess the same stupidity still applies to those who buy only one way tickets with cash last minute and have no luggage to check. How dumb.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
color me confused <pause> but didn't the maSSSSage on one's bp go away quite some time ago (as it was just way to easy for the bad guys 'n gals to figure it out) and get replaced with one of the new at the airport "many layers of skewrity" where you simply get told to "go wait over there"
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN P+, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond
Happened Twice in Omaha

On two seperate occasions, my UA flight was cancelled so I had to leave the gate area and go to ticketing where an new boarding pass was issued with big SSSSS printed on it. I was annoyed because the airline cancelled the flight that caused it. I did nothing IMHO to warrent it.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just yesterday at IAD I picked up my new boarding pass for F IAD-SFO at the gate, and "SSSS" clearly on it. Can't recall that happening before.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:30 pm

Apparently SSSS was ~90% (but not totally) removed about a year ago.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Want some fun? Do a google search on:

tsa lack of candor
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by flyinbob
If you are at an airport during busy times and without elite lines for security, the SSSS actually gets you through security faster.
Completly agree with this. If you can pass whatever you are carrying to somebody else, it's just a pat down and you are on your way. Even if you can not, the time it was my turn the regular lines were very long, I was quite happy they sent me to the one person waiting for his SSSS treatment line.

Even if they had to tear apart a carry on it would have been faster, as there were two or three people checking it, so it was quick.

You don't want those terrorists waiting.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by cordelli
Completly agree with this. If you can pass whatever you are carrying to somebody else, it's just a pat down and you are on your way. Even if you can not, the time it was my turn the regular lines were very long, I was quite happy they sent me to the one person waiting for his SSSS treatment line.

Even if they had to tear apart a carry on it would have been faster, as there were two or three people checking it, so it was quick.

You don't want those terrorists waiting.
There is never more than one stranger touching my personal items ... if you let more than one have a shot, it's much easier to "lose", misplace or mishandle the contents.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I thought the SSSS stuff was finished when they stopped looking at bps before you walked through the scanners.
It used to be given to people who said anything bad about the TSA or DHS. (American citizens with no ties to terrorist groups whatsoever-I remember a news story about someone who openly spoke out against the TSA and got the SSSS every time they took a flight- he was a no-name actor or director or something and he had never been out of the country-didn't even have a passport). I guess now they stopped those types of things and are actually doing it randomly, but who the heck knows whats going on with the DHS.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 2:32 pm

geez, i thought it was gone 100%too! oh well, only having 10% is better than nothing (in 2008 my grandma from singapore who was in a wheelchair got SSSSed at SFO when conencting from HKG to IAH. we joked that "she was special" but little did i know the truth!)
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by FlyforSAP
On two seperate occasions, my UA flight was cancelled so I had to leave the gate area and go to ticketing where an new boarding pass was issued with big SSSSS printed on it. I was annoyed because the airline cancelled the flight that caused it. I did nothing IMHO to warrent it.
in a situation like that, you should simply have the agent remove it. that used to happen to me all the time when i took a vdb and "the system" thought i was a last minute walk up purchase . once i realized the agents could remove it, it never happened again
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by masonuc

I've often wondered what would happen if you just photocopied the BP without the SSSS -- I can't imagine any law tha would prevent that, so long as it was not a broader plot to actually commit a terrorist act. There may be a law against altering your BP, not sure.
A photocopy of a bp would be on airline card stock, so it might be noticed. If you meant OLCI BPs, those won't have SSS because OLCI BPs won't be produced.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I had it as a random thing once (assuming it was random as it was the only time). Pretty easy, I was traveling with somebody else and gave them the carry on and the rest to go through to make the check much easier.
This happened to me once, when the ticket agent gave me my BP i instantly saw the SSSS and made a comment about how I had been "randomly" selected, and she replied with "oh, this one was actually random!" So I gave all of my carry-ons to my wife and went thru the line without anything.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:13 pm

I think some information is slowly sinking in.

I'm a somewhat disabled person - I suffered a fracture (small, hairline) in a vertebrae that left me with a slipped vertebrae - it's worse than a slipped disk and cannot easily be fixed. Consequently, I have a hard time lifting anything ( and am under doctor's orders not to).

So - my husband could actually "manage" my two items for me at the security checkpoint? Whether SSSS or not, I could just walk through and just deal with my jacket and shoes (getting jackets on and off exacerbates the condition, tying shoelaces or putting on shoes is one of the few daily tasks that is most bothersome - if I tense up, it's worse).

We're waiting for my spine to fuse itself (it takes years, it's getting better - I think) but I never really considered just having my husband carry everything (he keeps insisting that's how it should be).

That's really possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.