Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Are you filming yourself shooting Dr Pepper through your nose, or my attempt to educate a TDC? Obviously, either one would be entertaining. In the latter case, the role of RadioGirl should be played by Miranda Otto, who looks just like me.* The TDC can be played by Spongebob Squarepants.

*And if you believe that, try this one: TSA cares deeply about your rights.
The Dr. Pepper nose cleansing was my reaction to your post. I would love to film you doing that; I bet it would have a million hits the first day its uploaded. I'll just have to put a rain cover on the camera as the smurfs head is likely to explode.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'll set my iPhone to record as I go through the TDC at SFO.. Should be interesting to replay the over reaction..
I think the only over reaction you would get would be from one of the older screeners. They have a lot less patience then us young ones

I had a guy today. Asked his last name, which was Fuji, and he just goes "ya, know, like the apple?" I said "And like the mountain lol". Signed his BP, and was on his merry way. I mean, if you're gonna be a snarky ... about not saying your last name, it would really depend on the screener on what they want to do. Most of my friends would probably roll their eyes, sign the BP, and let you go. I mean, the cameras only see us engage in conversation. They don't know what we're saying or anything. The only time I'd make it an issue is if I was being audited.

Btw, yes, we DO realize this asking of your last name thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean we just can't NOT do it. This .... is from management, not us.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by senseker
Btw, yes, we DO realize this asking of your last name thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean we just can't NOT do it. This .... is from management, not us.
I appreciate your honesty in admitting that.

But I'd like to know how far you're willing to go with "stupid" requirements from management? If, next week, you were told to ask each passenger how many children they had (not necessarily traveling with them), would you do that? What if you were told you had to count how many buttons each passenger had on their shirt? What if you had to ask what color underwear they were wearing or the last time they had sex? Or like the incident reported from Cleveland - if you had to ask each passenger how much money they were carrying? (Yes, I realize they weren't asking everyone, but hey, why not?)

All of those questions are as pointless - and have as little to do with aviation safety - as asking someone their name when you're holding their BP. At what point would you and your colleagues refuse to do something this stupid?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by jcf27
Data Point -

It just happened to me on T3 AA, mar-25 10pm.

TSA - What is your last name?
ME - It says right there (pointing to the DL + BP) "last name"
TSA - It's protocol. I have to ask you.

Simply unreal.

--J
Is is only protocol that the TSO has to ask or is it also protocol that the pax has to answer?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I appreciate your honesty in admitting that.

But I'd like to know how far you're willing to go with "stupid" requirements from management? If, next week, you were told to ask each passenger how many children they had (not necessarily traveling with them), would you do that? What if you were told you had to count how many buttons each passenger had on their shirt? What if you had to ask what color underwear they were wearing or the last time they had sex? Or like the incident reported from Cleveland - if you had to ask each passenger how much money they were carrying? (Yes, I realize they weren't asking everyone, but hey, why not?)

All of those questions are as pointless - and have as little to do with aviation safety - as asking someone their name when you're holding their BP. At what point would you and your colleagues refuse to do something this stupid?

Seems they are already willing to feel up little kids, women and men. I don't think there is any point of refusal.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 8:58 am
Suspended

If you don't have the stones to stand up to management acting stupid, then I have no sympathy for you or any other TSO. You deserve the crap you're getting from passengers.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:13 am

Looking at this from a privacy perspective, you are now required to disclose personally identifiable information to everyone standing within earshot of the conversation. So the creepy guy standing behind me at the CP now knows my full name and date of birth. Setting aside for the moment the silly waste of time this is, is this not putting people at risk of identity theft from other people in the area (not just those who actually handle your information)? Additionally, some random person who heard said conversation could be on your plane and can now address you by name, have your age and date of birth. This is just bizarre.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
At SFO international G today, again asked the last name today, but politely and that was it. Had to opt-out of the nude-o-scope as the far-right lane was closed after the SQ crew went through it. Of course I only had to opt-out because there was an agent blocking the WTMD. Relatively polite and friendly screener did my opt-out process and away I went.

I did overhear another pax behind me in the screening queue telling someone that she always opted-out and convincing a few more pax to opt-out ^; but she then had to wait for a fairly lengthy period of time to get her female screener for the opt-out.

Edit: They were also asking why people were opting out, and noting it down in a log. The guy said he didn't care why and "any reason would do".
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by ajnz
......Edit: They were also asking why people were opting out, and noting it down in a log. The guy said he didn't care why and "any reason would do".
I tell them that I opt out because Janet won't go through one. A typical reaction is "Janet who?" Seems her not willing to go through one has caused more problems for her agency than they care to discusss.

FWIW at MSP last Wed afternoon I saw a TSO let a passenger back into the concourse from an exit to baggage claim (by claim #14).

Had a TSO at MSP take things from my laptop bag out of sight. Briefly talked to him and said it violated SOP. He said he was in a hurry. Talked to a TSA suit type and relayed the incident. He said he would deal with it. Asked him where my $20 gold coin was at. Should have seen the color drain from his face. Told him I was yanking his chain and the SOP exists for both TSA and the passengers. Suspect a TSO got chewed out for that one.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of my friends would probably roll their eyes, sign the BP, and let you go.

we DO realize this asking of your last name thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean we just can't NOT do it. This .... is from management, not us.
Interesting. Asking the question is useless if you are not going to require a question.

Are there other management directions that TSO's routinely ignore?

Last edited by Tom M.; Mar 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by Tom M.
Are there other management directions that TSO's routinely ignore?
Yes.

Pistole said flat out on the TSA website the NEXUS card was accepted ID.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:23 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Tom M.
....Are there other management directions that TSO's routinely ignore?
Most, if not all of their SOP?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
.....Btw, yes, we DO realize this asking of your last name thing is stupid, but that doesn't mean we just can't NOT do it. This .... is from management, not us.
And I also appreciate the honesty ^ but has anyone from the ranks actually brought up the issue as to why it is being done and also how stoopit it truly is? And if yes, if you're able to share the answer, inquiring minds would like to know
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: Independent Libertarian
"WHAT'S" your name!

This tsa name asking is sooo ripe for the Abbot & Costelo routine..........
"Who's On First".

TSA:"What's your name"?
PAX: "What"!
TSA:"What's your name"?
PAX:"I already told you".
And on and on and on.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
... I mean, the cameras only see us engage in conversation. They don't know what we're saying or anything. The only time I'd make it an issue is if I was being audited.

Thank you very much, senseker, for your front-line info.

It seems to me that the best thing for all concerned is for passengers to say something like: "I acknowledge for the cameras that you have carried out management's directive." And we do so politely. Senseker, what is your opinion of this idea?

The flip side is, any TSC who claims that a passenger is required to state our name, we immediately demand a STSC and file a complaint for abuse of authority, false requirement, and official misconduct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.