Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:14 pm

I fail to understand the whole system. Taking my Mother-in-law for example. She needs to apply for ESTA in Japan and provides all sort of info which supposedly is checked by the U.S. Government before they grant approval. Upon check-in the airline scans the passport and if I understand correctly the manifest is run by the U.S. Government as well. So they know she is on a particular flight and will arrive stateside. There CBP scans the passport again, types something into the record and asks silly questions. Upon leaving the U.S. she provides the airline with TSA required info, which is checked and her flight then approved. TSA at the airport checks her passport again, like they never knew she was flying and do their whole theater there. Does no one "talk" to each other? They should all know who she is, where she goes and when she goes. It's not really a secret, or? And for us Frequent Flyers, our flying patterns,
our status, our mileage balances are available at any time. Why is there a requirement for so much information when seemingly no information is used and certainly not shared? It's flabbergasting.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I had this same thing happen on Sunday just like everyone else in Terminal 1. Asked me to say my last name and that was that. The great thing is at the checkpoint right past the UAL desks, there were no WBIs in site and it took only five minutes to get through in the mid-afternoon unlike DIA. Now if they would just get their rental car trains sped up a bit.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by fishferbrains
What the TSA/Customs/BP don't realize/understand/care is that there's a reciprocity of abuse that can be, and is, applied to US citizens in reaction the treatment we give to international visitors.

I travel enough through Asia and Europe with other EU citizens to know that you are scrutinized more closely and treated differently by carrying a US passport.

Want a Chinese visa? Make no mistake that the US is charged more than any other country in retaliation to the cost we charge them. For example ESTA is perceived as just another nuisance/money grab and ultimately a barrier to tourism at a time where the US needs it most.

Want to see you hand luggage tossed around with gusto? Have your shoes scanned while others don't? Random "confiscations" of 'illegal' articles?

It's all benefit of our policies; and the perceptions of the countries that equally feel abused; or want to appear "tougher" than our beloved TSA/DHA handlers.

It's a sad state of affairs.
Bolding mine...

Other than paying an exorbiant amount for a Chinese visa, and yes, it's a result of our treatment of Chinese citizens, I've never experienced more scrutiny or 'confiscation' in Asia coz of my US passport. Usually the opposite. Maybe coz I live here and travel around the region quite often...dont know..

but the ESTA is a travesty...the gooberment says it ain't a visa but it is...I would love to see the EU implement the same thing for US citizens but make the process slower....serves us right.

It is amazing that the official greeters, CPB agents, do so much harm to our image and our economy...nearly all of my furrener friends refuse to travel to the US anymore and 1 even decided to take his 100$ million investment elsewhere...why? because of the way he had been treated when entering the US (and he's an EU citizen)....100$ mill and jobs investment went to Asia...thank you, CBP
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:44 pm

Isn't the exorbitant cost of a Brazilian visa tied in with what the U.S. all of a sudden charged the Brazilians? Other South American countries followed as retribution.
It always strikes me that Japanese and European passport holders have less of a visa requirement and if a visa is needed it is either free or low cost. Thank heaven I carry two passports myself. The Americans, though, bleed through their nose for this.
Justly or not, after WWII, Americans made the world hate them due to a strong $ and the way U.S. businessman behaved. Those days are long gone, now the U.S. Government takes care of stirring up the hate.

This country and it's people is much better than that, but at this stage we are too much into the dirt. Someone needs to get us out of this and let the world know, we are nice people. Or do I see this wrongly?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:51 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
This country and it's people is much better than that, but at this stage we are too much into the dirt. Someone needs to get us out of this and let the world know, we are nice people. Or do I see this wrongly?
Yeah I'm not convinced. Our current administration is quite a disappointment and yet there is no wide-spread uproar.

As long as we can watch 1000 channels on giant TVs, nothing else seems to matter.

But maybe I'm wrong.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
As long as we can watch 1000 channels on giant TVs, nothing else seems to matter.But maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe you are not wrong. It's the old Roman philosophy. Give them bread, give them games ( bread and circus ) and they will have a happy populus, despite the evils haunting them. Hasn't changed in thousand of years. Sad, sad, sad. Too bad we don't have a smilie for tears.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Mar 30, 2011 at 7:08 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT

Those days are long gone, now the U.S. Government takes care of stirring up the hate.

For those of us who travel alot, we are the best (or worst) ambassadors for our respective countries. Being friendly; being helpful; being respectful are just qualities of human decency.

I cringe when I'm told "I'm not a typical American" because I say "hello/goodbye", "please/thank-you" in the languages of the foreign countries I visit; and am patient with the idiosyncrasies that every culture has.

I'm also embarrassed that I've said "Je ne parle pas Anglais" when faced with the boorish behavior of my fellow citizens in France. It gets a knowing laugh from the French at least.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:43 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
SFO Elite Security Also Asking Last Name

ID checker asked this am and I said:Smith. Woman says it's not. I say that's how I pronounce it. She gets a sup. He says my name pretty well (it has a bunch of consonants together) so I say Smith. I tell him my name is foreign and not all letters have the same sounds in every language. I ask if he's a linguist. After second time he tells me no. He says he's going to get a behavior analyst. I say good. He disappears, returns after a few minutes, runs my boarding pass again and tells me to go. I figure I'll get pulled for 'random' secondary, but I'm not. Don't give into this. I ask what they do if folks are mute. Of course, sup doesn't answer.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
That is getting quite far into the realms of the ridiculous.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by l'etoile
ID checker asked this am and I said:Smith. Woman says it's not. I say that's how I pronounce it. She gets a sup. He says my name pretty well (it has a bunch of consonants together) so I say Smith. I tell him my name is foreign and not all letters have the same sounds in every language. I ask if he's a linguist. After second time he tells me no. He says he's going to get a behavior analyst. I say good. He disappears, returns after a few minutes, runs my boarding pass again and tells me to go. I figure I'll get pulled for 'random' secondary, but I'm not. Don't give into this. I ask what they do if folks are mute. Of course, sup doesn't answer.
I LOVE it!!! ^^^^^

We had a healthy discussion upstream about using the "Smith" approach, asserting that one has the right to pronounce one's name however one desires. It was interesting that he was going to summon a SPOTNik for an interrogation. You would have revealed all those microexpressions that said "Jones" rather than "Smith."

Now, is it "Smith" or "Smyth?"

It boggles the mind that the SFO contractor clerks take this seriously.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
It boggles the mind that the SFO contractor clerks take this seriously.
I think that the contractors are actually taking things more seriously, under threat of TSA. I had a chat with a manager at MCI (also contract) about how they interpret TSA rulings, and the outcome if they do not perform as required.

In that instance they were over interpreting the rule, just as they appear to do at SFO with names.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:21 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Very well done Ms. Smith ^^ <applause>
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by goalie
Very well done Ms. Smith ^^ <applause>
NOW, if only we can convince Ms. Smith to GO TO WASHINGTON!!!

Dave
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: DL, AA
My last name is Smith, but if asked I'm going to say "It's the most popular last name in the United States."
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Ww! Gd shw!

If they knew that the name wasn't Smith then why did they bther asking so many times?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.