Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hyatt Plat
Flew through Terminal 1 on Friday.

As expected, I was asked my last name.

As expected, I got a sudden case of laryngitis which only allowed my lips to move in a random order with no sound exiting my mouth. My BP was signed and I was on my way. The TDC didn't even look up at me.

The TSA is a joke.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
TSA "May I ask your last name"
Me "yes"
TSA "Will you tell me your last name"
Me "why"
TSA "It's a new procedure"
Me "well, i will not follow that new procedure"
TSA "why not"
Me "you have my full name on a government issued ID and my boarding pass. You do not need it and it is ridiculous for you to ask"
TSA "I am required to ask. It is a new procedure"
Me "It is ridiculous. you have my name. will you tell me yours?"
TSA (sez his name)
Me "you do not need me to tell you my name"
TSA "calls supervisor"
Supervisor "let her pass"
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by debua1k
<snip>
:-:
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: Sky Miles, Star Alliance, Marriott
Originally Posted by flapping arms
The flip side is, any TSC who claims that a passenger is required to state our name, we immediately demand a STSC and file a complaint for abuse of authority, false requirement, and official misconduct.
What is a "STSC"?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by G_Wolf
What is a "STSC"?
I'm betting that instead of fficer, they are putting C for clerk ^

Transportation Security Clerk

Supervisory Transportation Security Clerk.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by debua1k
TSA "May I ask your last name"
Me "yes"
TSA "Will you tell me your last name"
Me "why"
TSA "It's a new procedure"
Me "well, i will not follow that new procedure"
TSA "why not"
Me "you have my full name on a government issued ID and my boarding pass. You do not need it and it is ridiculous for you to ask"
TSA "I am required to ask. It is a new procedure"
Me "It is ridiculous. you have my name. will you tell me yours?"
TSA (sez his name)
Me "you do not need me to tell you my name"
TSA "calls supervisor"
Supervisor "let her pass"
Why not take it this way....

TSO: Will you tell me your last name?
Me: Yes
<pause>

<pause>

<pause>

(you see where this is going, right? )

TSO: Why aren't you telling me your last name?
Me: Because you only asked if I would tell you my last name and I said yes-you didn't ask me to actually tell you my last name

N.B. The same applies if you are asked, "do you have a boarding pass?"
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm betting that instead of officer, they are putting C for clerk ^

Transportation Security Clerk

Supervisory Transportation Security Clerk.
That's correct. I periodically slip and use the correct (in practice) term clerk, instead of the nominal term officer.

Although I personally prefer retitling the whole job as Airport Security Screener, which is a far more precise description of the job, as the people (a) work at airports not on transportation; and (b) conduct security screening and not provide security.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I think Australia is renaming them to Aviation Security Officer.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:59 am
Suspended

Although I personally prefer retitling the whole job as Airport Security Screener, which is a far more precise description of the job, as the people (a) work at airports not on transportation; and (b) conduct security screening and not provide security.
Not to mention the acronym being appropriate.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by Caradoc
Not to mention the acronym being appropriate.
deadpan
Really? The acronym forming a relevant word had never occurred to me, nor to any other FTer. And I'm sure that the original source never thought of making "Airport Security Screener" a backronym.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
deadpan
Really? The acronym forming a relevant word had never occurred to me, nor to any other FTer. And I'm sure that the original source never thought of making "Airport Security Screener" a backronym.
You are in the wrong thread then.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:49 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Another case of "Team SFO" going rogue.

I did the silent treatment today.

Drone: Your last name?
Me: Silence
Drone: Your last name?
Me: Silence
Drone: What is your last name?
Me: Pointed at ID card
Drone: Mr. Flyer? (Hands ID card back)

I continue to the X-Ray...

It was a younger person checking, so maybe Senseeker's correct with the age thing and younger clerks not giving a darn
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:55 pm

"If you don't speak English, you will not fly"

Here is the kicker. Yesterday passed through SFO with my ( Japanese ) mother-in-law in tow. Usually Mrs. EX and I approach the ID check desk together to make sure she gets through alright, since she speaks no English and has terminal cancer. This particular agent ( a young lady ) had the idea to draw imaginary lines on the floor and succeeded through various hand signals ( like "stop" and "behind that line" ) to separate us. From afar I heard her asking mother-in-law what her last name was. I told her that she does not speak English, maybe she should ask in Japanese. Her answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!". We got m-i-l to say her last name and she was waived through. I did make sure to ask for the supervisor to complain and he promised me to talk to "M" ( guess it's not right to mention her name here ). Don't know if that happened. Unbelievable.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Here is the kicker. Yesterday passed through SFO with my ( Japanese ) mother-in-law in tow. Usually Mrs. EX and I approach the ID check desk together to make sure she gets through alright, since she speaks no English and has terminal cancer. This particular agent ( a young lady ) had the idea to draw imaginary lines on the floor and succeeded through various hand signals ( like "stop" and "behind that line" ) to separate us. From afar I heard her asking mother-in-law what her last name was. I told her that she does not speak English, maybe she should ask in Japanese. Her answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!". We got m-i-l to say her last name and she was waived through. I did make sure to ask for the supervisor to complain and he promised me to talk to "M" ( guess it's not right to mention her name here ). Don't know if that happened. Unbelievable.
Stories like this should make Airport Security Screeners proud.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:31 pm

Either she learns English or she's not going to fly!

You gotta be kidding? What a stupid, arrogant, ignorant ex-burger flipper! More proof that TSA hires from the bottom of the gene pool.

Should've b* slapped her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.