Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Here is the kicker. Yesterday passed through SFO with my ( Japanese ) mother-in-law in tow. Usually Mrs. EX and I approach the ID check desk together to make sure she gets through alright, since she speaks no English and has terminal cancer. This particular agent ( a young lady ) had the idea to draw imaginary lines on the floor and succeeded through various hand signals ( like "stop" and "behind that line" ) to separate us. From afar I heard her asking mother-in-law what her last name was. I told her that she does not speak English, maybe she should ask in Japanese. Her answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!". We got m-i-l to say her last name and she was waived through. I did make sure to ask for the supervisor to complain and he promised me to talk to "M" ( guess it's not right to mention her name here ). Don't know if that happened. Unbelievable.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Stories like this should make Airport Security Screeners proud.
Not at all. That's just stupid. It was probably a new screener. A lot of the newer people seem to be a lot worse than most.

@EXLEFTSEAT: What checkpoint was this at?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by senseker
It was probably a new screener. A lot of the newer people seem to be a lot worse than most.
Why are the new Airport Security Screeners even saying something like that? If I was the boss, that jerk would have been fired on the spot Just because they are new, there is no excuse for their behavior
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Why are the new Airport Security Screeners even saying something like that? If I was the boss, that jerk would have been fired on the spot Just because they are new, there is no excuse for their behavior
I know that a lot of these newer people are all super SOP about everything, and seem to not know how to interact with people from other countries much.

And technically, they are enforcing SOP by having to get the passenger to say their last name, but obviously that screener did not know how to interact with someone who speaks another language.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I know that a lot of these newer people are all super SOP about everything, and seem to not know how to interact with people from other countries much.
Okay, I can understand working in, say, a hardware store in Podunk and not seeing people from other countries. But an international airport? Gee, who would expect foreigners, especially from Asian countries, at SFO?

And technically, they are enforcing SOP by having to get the passenger to say their last name, but obviously that screener did not know how to interact with someone who speaks another language.
And once again, a SOP has been implemented (although only at SFO and DFW, it appears) without considering whether passengers can actually comply with it. (Whether they should be REQUIRED to comply with it is a separate issue.)

Some idiot says "Everyone has to be asked their name" without anyone considering people who don't speak English, people who have difficulty hearing, people who are mute, and so on.

Some idiot says "No liquids over 3.4 ounces" without considering people who have medical or nutritional requirements for liquids.

Some idiot says "Everyone will (eventually - you know it's coming) have to stand in the NoS with their hands over their heads for 45 seconds" without anyone considering people who can't stand, people who can't raise their hands, infants and toddlers, etc.

Some idiot says "Everyone has to show a gov't issued ID document" without anyone considering people who, for various legal and private reasons, don't have a gov't issued ID document.

Pathetic.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

then they should not be permitted to function in any role which requires interaction with passengers.

If that means they are unable to perform any function... well unemployment here they come.

and, as an aside, when the SOP is further amended so everyone is required to hop counterclockwise* while whistling 'my old man's a dustman'*, will clerks keep blindly requiring all passenger to comply or not fly?

* deliberately chosen as 99.9% of the clerks would not know which direction is counterclockwise nor 'my old man's a dustman'...
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So requiring a person to state their last name is now in the SOP?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
But only in two airports
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by debua1k
TSA "I am required to ask. It is a new procedure"
PAX: "Okay -- you asked. Yu've satisfied your management's idiotic requirement."
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
... {Female TSO's} answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!". We got m-i-l to say her last name and she was waived through. I did make sure to ask for the supervisor to complain and he promised me to talk to "M" ( guess it's not right to mention her name here ). Don't know if that happened. Unbelievable.
ExLeftSeat, please please file a complaint with the ACLU! For my three cents, I think there's a civil rights violation here.

Also please file with the DHS IG, DOJ, and local newspaper. "Granny who doesn't know English denied right to travel" might make a good story.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Here is the kicker. Yesterday passed through SFO with my ( Japanese ) mother-in-law in tow. Usually Mrs. EX and I approach the ID check desk together to make sure she gets through alright, since she speaks no English and has terminal cancer. This particular agent ( a young lady ) had the idea to draw imaginary lines on the floor and succeeded through various hand signals ( like "stop" and "behind that line" ) to separate us. From afar I heard her asking mother-in-law what her last name was. I told her that she does not speak English, maybe she should ask in Japanese. Her answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!". We got m-i-l to say her last name and she was waived through. I did make sure to ask for the supervisor to complain and he promised me to talk to "M" ( guess it's not right to mention her name here ). Don't know if that happened. Unbelievable.
Originally Posted by bluenotesro
Either she learns English or she's not going to fly!

You gotta be kidding? What a stupid, arrogant, ignorant ex-burger flipper! More proof that TSA hires from the bottom of the gene pool.

Should've b* slapped her.
I am not surprised at all.

I witnessed a US Customs agent at IAD doing a very similar thing - yelling and berating an elderly oriental woman one day who mistakenly went into the wrong line. The poor woman spoke no English, and the Customs guy started yelling louder berating her for trying to come to the US without being able to speak English.

Welcome to the US, and Welcome to the nation's Capital.

That TSA does it is completely unsurprising. After all, they are on a witch hunt.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:13 am

Not at all. That's just stupid. It was probably a new screener. A lot of the newer people seem to be a lot worse than most.

@EXLEFTSEAT: What checkpoint was this at?
The UA terminal ( T2? ). We came down the escalator from the airport train and made a U-turn, so facing the gates, left side of the escalator. Line was short, so I thought no need to go through the 1k security.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by flapping arms
ExLeftSeat, please please file a complaint with the ACLU! For my three cents, I think there's a civil rights violation here.

Also please file with the DHS IG, DOJ, and local newspaper. "Granny who doesn't know English denied right to travel" might make a good story.
Wait, just when you think it can't get any worse please fell free to read my other thread that I just posted "Another nightmare at PHX" in this forum. I
am out of words.

If someone can give me some advice how to file please PM me. I have had enough this time.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I am not surprised at all.

I witnessed a US Customs agent at IAD doing a very similar thing - yelling and berating an elderly oriental woman one day who mistakenly went into the wrong line. The poor woman spoke no English, and the Customs guy started yelling louder berating her for trying to come to the US without being able to speak English.

Welcome to the US, and Welcome to the nation's Capital.

That TSA does it is completely unsurprising. After all, they are on a witch hunt.

What the TSA/Customs/BP don't realize/understand/care is that there's a reciprocity of abuse that can be, and is, applied to US citizens in reaction the treatment we give to international visitors.

I travel enough through Asia and Europe with other EU citizens to know that you are scrutinized more closely and treated differently by carrying a US passport.

Want a Chinese visa? Make no mistake that the US is charged more than any other country in retaliation to the cost we charge them. For example ESTA is perceived as just another nuisance/money grab and ultimately a barrier to tourism at a time where the US needs it most.

Want to see you hand luggage tossed around with gusto? Have your shoes scanned while others don't? Random "confiscations" of 'illegal' articles?

It's all benefit of our policies; and the perceptions of the countries that equally feel abused; or want to appear "tougher" than our beloved TSA/DHA handlers.

It's a sad state of affairs.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I told her that she does not speak English, maybe she should ask in Japanese. Her answer was "that's never going to happen. Either she learns English or she is not going to fly!".
Think for a minute how much economic damage one government employee can cause, causing visitors to this country to spend their tourism dollars elsewhere in the future.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Think for a minute how much economic damage one government employee can cause, causing visitors to this country to spend their tourism dollars elsewhere in the future.
I recall something about customer complaints. An unhappy customer tells ten people about their negative experience and each of those people tell 10 more and so forth.

Is it any wonder why DHS and its agencies is getting so much negative press?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.