Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO International Terminal - asking you to confirm your last name

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I posted this a year or two ago, but for the amusement of our newer members here's a quick video.
Thanks for the late night laugh! Makes me want to purchase a ticket in the name of Terry Wrist, and the listen as the GA pages that passenger!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by senseker
The asking of the last name? Yes.
Are you allowed to tell us how you are instructed to react to non-compliers? Or is that SSI? As has been pointed out, there are valid reasons a passenger can't comply to a verbal question in English only.

If you're not prepared with a card with the question in all possible languages, and translators available instantly for those who can't read the card, and other ways to communicate with passengers who don't speak, then it's a BS step that a bad guy can easily bypass.

So why would management even think up such silly theatre?

Oh, yeah - I forgot. It's just a play.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta,United,Continental,US Airways,Southwest,Marriott,all car companies
I was under the impression that if we supplied the proper docs, we get to go through. They are not CBP so, correct me if I'm wrong, asking you to pronounce anything is stepping beyond their authority... again. If your "papers are in order" you shouldn't have to have a chat at all, if you don't wish to.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:55 am

i think i'll just write my name in the palm of my hand and see what the reaction will be when i look at it before answering the queation, or just hold it up for them to see when asked. the other hand i'll write where i am going, my birthday, or whatever else i might "need to know".
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
I think I would use the European way of pronouncing my last name, which does not sound in any way like it reads. My father Americanized it to avoid this exact problem when he came over to the US. My relatives in Europe still pronounce it the old way.

That should lead to an interesting discussion with the TDC smurfs.

Mr. Elliott
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by camerawork
I was under the impression that if we supplied the proper docs, we get to go through. They are not CBP so, correct me if I'm wrong, asking you to pronounce anything is stepping beyond their authority... again. If your "papers are in order" you shouldn't have to have a chat at all, if you don't wish to.
I'm having a similar discussion with DFW TSA over this exact issue although the TSA screener went ballistic when I asked if I was required to answer his question asking my name. Based on my reading of the response below it seems to me that TSA is actually doing some profiling.

Here is one response I have received.

Although it is not required we encourage our Officers to ask each passenger their name to provide the opportunity to engage in a friendly brief conversation, such as “Hi Mr. Xxxxxxxx and how are you today?” It is intended to be a polite customer service dialog. The Officer could say the name from the identification but hearing it helps pronunciation.

Thank you,

Robert E. Gentry

Asst Federal Security Director

Transportation Security Administration

Dallas/ Fort Worth International Airport

469-948-1848
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"May I have your name?"

"No."

Nothing else need be said. If the TDC plays DY...T, ask for the GSC and the FSD. As I understand current regulations, I am required to show government-issued photo ID that matches the name on my boarding pass. I have no intention in playing along with these incredibly stupid BDO games, and I know of no legal basis for compelling me to answer any questions.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I got this yesterday at SFO. Between my passport, BP and *G card (which was inside the passport) there were 3 things in front of her and when the question was posed my straight faced answer was, 'You have it there on 3 things, can't you read?'

The drone was not pleased at all.

I then verbalized how assinine this policy is. I don't think she disagreed.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm having a similar discussion with DFW TSA over this exact issue although the TSA screener went ballistic when I asked if I was required to answer his question asking my name. Based on my reading of the response below it seems to me that TSA is actually doing some profiling.

Here is one response I have received.
Although it is not required we encourage our Officers to ask each passenger their name to provide the opportunity to engage in a friendly brief conversation, such as “Hi Mr. Xxxxxxxx and how are you today?” It is intended to be a polite customer service dialog. The Officer could say the name from the identification but hearing it helps pronunciation.
How can someone address you by name and then ask you what your name is? What am I missing?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I view the security check point as a necessary impediment to my getting on an airplane. I do not like it, but there is nothing I can do about it, so my goal is to minimize the aggravation. There are three hurdles to jump.
  1. I must have a valid boarding pass that matches a valid ID that must be approved by the TDC.
  2. I must enter the screening area with possessions that are within the guidelines of what is acceptable to carry on board an aircraft. I know every single item that is in my two carry on bags and I have personally made certain that each is approved and acceptable. They must pass able to pass both x-ray and ETD screening.
  3. The items carried on my person through the screening must be acceptable or reasonably explainable as acceptable. They must be able to pass scrutiny of one or more tests including, WBI, WTMD and/or a physical pat down.

When I am asked to perform functions outside of what is necessary to clear the three areas above, or if I am interrogated or asked questions outside the scope of those three items, I immediately am put on the defensive and the encounter becomes hostile, whether intended or not. Do your job, do it efficiently, and I'll leave the small talk to the bar in the waiting area.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
How can someone address you by name and then ask you what your name is? What am I missing?
In my case the TDC asked my name. I asked if I was required to answer seeing as how he had my photo id and boarding pass with my name on it. The TDC was not pleased. The response I posted earlier was an email from the DFW AFSD. He is dancing around what happened.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:11 am

"Can I confirm my name?" Yep.

"Will I confirm my name?" Probably not.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Team SFO was on a power trip tonight at T3, at the UA checkpoint to the right of the UA counters.

We were told to stay behind the mat until called up, asked to confirm our first name, and then asked to pronounce our last name.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Team SFO was on a power trip tonight at T3, at the UA checkpoint to the right of the UA counters.

We were told to stay behind the mat until called up, asked to confirm our first name, and then asked to pronounce our last name.
Did you comply, or refuse? I'd be curious to see what would happen if somebody said "No".
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Did you comply, or refuse? I'd be curious to see what would happen if somebody said "No".
Seeing as I'm a scary foreigner and I had to catch my flight to start my vacation, I bit my tongue and reluctantly complied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.