Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR

http://epic.org/events/tsa/

"The Stripping of Freedom: A Careful Scan of TSA Procedures"

January 6, 2011

The Carnegie Institute for Science
1530 P St., NW
Washington, DC

Featured Speakers:

Ralph Nader
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (invited)
Rep. Rush Holt (invited)
Nadhira Al-Khalili
David Greenfield
Kate Hanni
Prof. Jeffrey Rosen
Bruce Schneier

This one-day public conference will be devoted to an assessment of the TSA airport security procedures and recommendations for reform. Experts in law, aviation security, and health safety, advocates for flyers rights, privacy protection, and religious freedom, as well as lawmakers and policy advisors will participate in the event. The event will also include a rich media display, with images from airport protests, YouTube videos, and campaign materials.
Would I love to see this. Not sure I can swing the time I'd need to drive up and back from BNA, though. Would be interested in reports from those attending.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If I could find a cheap ticket, I would consider going! Would DCA be the closest airport?
Yes -- You could ride the Metro right from the airport and save the cost of a taxi or rental car. The location is about 3 blocks east of DuPont Circle (red Line) on P Street.

I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 27, 2010 at 2:06 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I wouldn't be surprised for one nanosecond that DHS or TSA "counterintelligence" people will infiltrate the meeting. The most likely source of TSA infiltrators would be SPOTNiks or FAMs. Nappy could also decide to send in a few plain-clothes Secret Service people. Presence of FBI counterintelligence ops people would require DHS to request support from DOJ. I wouldn't expect the request to be made, mostly out of pride and because Nappy couldn't possibly convince Holder that subversive activities would be taking place.

If you go, be very careful about exchanging business cards with anyone who purports to work for a company you've never heard of or anyone who asks a lot of strange questions. If you see someone picking up several copies of an attendee list or people who generally don't fit, try to snap a discrete picture. Conversely, if there are people going out of their way to avoid being in any sort of picture or video of the conference, this should send up flags.

This isn't tinfoil hat stuff in the least. I've seen it happen in other contexts over the years.
If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

It's sad that we have to be on the look out for things like this. Hard to imagine what this country has turned into.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wb9tio
If your gut tells you something isn't right with some of the folks who are there such as what you described they need to be publicly outed! Their stench needs to be out in the open.
There's a hacker convention every year in Vegas that has a "Spot The Fed" contest and the winner gets a T-shirt that says "I Spotted The Fed" while the Fed gets one that says "I Am The Fed".

Something like this should be suggested to EPIC.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: US Gold
The EPIC folks have been to Defcon...

wg
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, it looks as though I will not be able to go to the event. Tickets were North of $650
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport

Yep, me too.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Tickets to the event? Or airline tickets were $650??

Hopefully if it's the former, EPIC will be throwing registration fees into the kitty to put toward further legal actions against TSA.
airline tix. I was really wanting to attend, and play "Spot the brown shirts"
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)

You can take a MARC train from BWI to Union Station in D.C. (where you can board the Metro) for around $15. It's not a bad trip, at all.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Where are you? Can you fly WN from MCI-BWI? (Rock chalk, by the way...I'm a grad, as is Mr. Dive...)
I'm in DEN for the next few weeks. Even looking at BWI, they are on the high side.. Hopefully one of the TS/S FTers in the local area can attend. I'll keep an eye out on the tickets.

Rock Chalk ^
Old Dec 27, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold (former Platinum), SPG Gold, SWA, UA, National Car, TSA Disparager Silver
If it weren't my second day of teaching for winter quarter, I'd be there with bells on ... and my "Land of the free?" t-shirt with Lady Liberty's backscatter image.

I'll pass the word on to my DC friends, many of whom are opposed to the TSA's (and the Patriot Act's) intrusive policies.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:05 pm

Thanks for pointing out the event. I hope EPIC considers streaming the event online for people who can't be there in person. Streaming would also make a statement--people would be able to "attend" the event without subjecting themselves to the TSA. I've sent an email to EPIC about this and suggest that others who agree send an email as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.