Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EPIC to host TSA workshop ["Stripping of Freedom"] Jan. 6, 2011 in D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: The usual suspects
Wow! In the past Alioto has imposed some limits (effectiveness) on security scanning. Promising. Many have expressed concern that SCOTUS would likely side with "anything for security."
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Ginger McCall from EPIC: "Apparently TSA doesn't think it's accountable to the public for the money it spends and the rights that it violates."

"TSA misrepresents the capabilities of the machines"

"There has to be escalation of methods"

She is AWESOME. ^ Can I vote for her for Congress? :P
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:54 am

Totally agreed about how great Ginger is.

Jeff Rosen's article in the Washington Post has a lot of information, including the details on the case Alito was involved in.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:01 am

Jon, thank you so much for all you have done. And especially for the "Notes" you have posted. That is now linked at several internet sites I visit frequently, so my friends appreciate this too.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:05 am

Forty people????

That's very depressing.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:16 am

I don't think 40 people is so bad, given the "Big Event" - new Congress opening - as well as relatively short notice, an obscure topic in the eyes of many, and its availability through sources other than being in the room.

I was going to make the 14 hour drive round-trip myself but I am ill, had to stay home. But I can still be there via internet!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:19 am

Are there any journalists there, I wonder?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlesheep
Forty people????

That's very depressing.
Betcha' Blogdad Bob latches on to this number and claims that nobody cares...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Ginger McCall from EPIC: "Apparently TSA doesn't think it's accountable to the public for the money it spends and the rights that it violates."

"TSA misrepresents the capabilities of the machines"

"There has to be escalation of methods"

She is AWESOME. ^ Can I vote for her for Congress? :P
And not bad to look at either

But in all seriousness, she was very impressive. Her points were clear, consice, and powerful (IMO).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
It's not that nobody cares. It's that we're not flying these days, some of us would have had to drive thousands of miles, and it's just not easy to do that with only a couple weeks' notice. (Not attempting to blame anyone here for any of this, except Blogdad Bob )

Still nothing on C-Span and I *have* to leave for my meeting, have played hooky all morning! Thanks a million for the notes, Jon.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:47 am

James Babb and Edward Luttwak were very impressive (from the bit I could see between interruptions).

I would really like to know if journalists from any major newspaper attended this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:50 am

I'm not wondering about non-locals (like me) or people who frequent this forum in general. I'm wondering about locals and people who are not that aware. I guess being unaware precludes attendance...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: US Gold
40 when I posted that, 50 or more later. It's varying through the day. But the online presence is big and they've got C-Span. So overall it's well-attended.

One of the first questions put to Michael Roberts was how he got here toda. (He drove.) But it is an irony that the only way you can attend an event to protest against the TSA is to fly...

wg
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United
Originally Posted by TXagogo
James Babb is fantastic. I am adding www.wewontfly.com to my favorites list on my laptop and have already "liked" it on facebook.
His page/posts are also RSS reader-friendly; he and his guests posters post several times a week.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TXagogo
Stream is good but I've lost in twice in 30 minutes. Is anyone else having this problem. Refreshing does not help.
A little slow for me, but I am now listening to Bruce Schneier..^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.